Home Sports Talk
Options

Who else is sick of the Cardinals?

gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
I know they are a class organization, they have the best fans, etc., etc., etc...but, I am sick of seeing this team do this every year. I am bitter that the Pirates had them down 2 games to 1 and on the ropes. I am at the point where I will root for the Red Sox to beat them in the Series if it comes to that.

They are really the epitome of how a team should be constructed, but I can't stand them and their team full of Kozmas...

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me! I understand, though.

Shane

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Me! I was lucky enough to attend all the Dodger post season games this year along with my 15 game plan, what a rush! Game 4 against the Braves was nuts.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been a STL fan, but you have to give them credit.

I did enjoy 2004 when Boston did the impossible and won after being down 3-0 went on to win 4 straight and the go to the WS and sweep STL!!image
  • Options

<< <i>I know they are a class organization, they have the best fans, etc., etc., etc...but, I am sick of seeing this team do this every year. I am bitter that the Pirates had them down 2 games to 1 and on the ropes. I am at the point where I will root for the Red Sox to beat them in the Series if it comes to that.

They are really the epitome of how a team should be constructed, but I can't stand them and their team full of Kozmas... >>

I hear ya. Since the 90's ive always rooted against the braves, and now I'm starting to feel the same way about the cardinals. The Pirates let a golden opportunity slip. Hoping the Tigers come through but not looking good.
  • Options
    Cardinals are a class act.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Not me, I am quite happy this morning. I looked at some numbers and they playoff games they have won since 2004 compared to the rest of the league and I can understand too.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know they are a class organization, they have the best fans, etc., etc., etc...but, I am sick of seeing this team do this every year. I am bitter that the Pirates had them down 2 games to 1 and on the ropes. I am at the point where I will root for the Red Sox to beat them in the Series if it comes to that.

They are really the epitome of how a team should be constructed, but I can't stand them and their team full of Kozmas... >>

Not sick of them in the slightest. Best run team in baseball. It's not their fault that other teams decide to choke when the pressure's on or, as in the case of LA last night, their manager decides to check his common sense at the door.
    Maybe the Cards' success is because they actually play as a team and not as a collection of individuals.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

Very true, they are the best fans. Thankfully a certain individual aggregates the collective fanbase's bestfanness.
    https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    I am certainly fed up with the Cardinals. Even worse the smug attitude their so-called 'best fans' enjoy at the hands of a intellectually vapid sports media all too willing to conspire in perpetuating this myth. Throw in this foolish notion that the Cardinals play baseball the 'right way' (despite being guilty of all the enthusiasm that they blast other teams specifically the Dodgers for) and you have me more than willing to root for their utter destruction in the world series.
  • Options
    Best is a bad term, but they have good fans. I am sure that Skip Schumaker was impressed to have a standing ovation last night to the point that he tipped his cap to the fans prior to his pinch hit at bat. Announcers constantly overstate things about teams or their fans all the time. That is why guys like Vin Scully are so special.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Every team has great, devoted, loyal fans. Holding up the Cardinals' fans as this mythical shining beacon of hope is just the sports media pathetically going through the motions of their job. I can't count the number of times that I've heard about the fans of St. Louis being so devoted they sit through awful heat to watch their team play, or how the team plays the right way, etc. etc.

I don't blame the fans, I blame the enabling media who made them that way.

• Options
    I do think it is true that some fan bases are harsh or hard on their players, or do not fill the stadium, which St. Louis is a place where neither occurs. I would not call them the best, but they are good.
  • Options
    Yes, they've had a consistently good team and that helps drive attendance. Here's what I mean by a pathetically lazy media feeding this story of the Cardinals and by extension their fans:

Story 1

"Everything great about the Cardinals was on display in their third-inning rally

If you could sum up the essence of a baseball team in one inning, this was that inning. This was that team."

Story 2

"The St Louis Cardinals: Baseball's "Little Engine That Could" Just Did Against Baseball's Highest Payroll"

These stories are and have been unending for years. It's been repeated so much that people just accept it as fact.
  • Options

<< <i>Best is a bad term, but they have good fans. I am sure that Skip Schumaker was impressed to have a standing ovation last night to the point that he tipped his cap to the fans prior to his pinch hit at bat. Announcers constantly overstate things about teams or their fans all the time. That is why guys like Vin Scully are so special. >>

Just another indication of having a little class and respecting the guys that helped you in the past. I can remember being at a game where they did the same thing for So Taguchi some time back. Can't say that I've seen much of that with other teams. Normally their "exes" get booed.

I like Vin Scully. I wish he was one of ours.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, they've had a consistently good team and that helps drive attendance. Here's what I mean by a pathetically lazy media feeding this story of the Cardinals and by extension their fans:

Story 1

"Everything great about the Cardinals was on display in their third-inning rally

If you could sum up the essence of a baseball team in one inning, this was that inning. This was that team."

Story 2

"The St Louis Cardinals: Baseball's "Little Engine That Could" Just Did Against Baseball's Highest Payroll"

These stories are and have been unending for years. It's been repeated so much that people just accept it as fact. >>

So what part of it isn't fact?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    What part isn't true? The 'little engine' that was top 10 in payroll? Right, the cardinals are real 'underdogs' here. And ex players get booed elsewhere other than St. Louis? Get out of here with that nonsense. Sheesh!
  • Options
    Any team knocking down the teams with a $200 million dollar payroll will received props and rightfully so.....I like to root for the teams like the Pirates, A's and Rays in the postseason for that reason. They achieved success by doing it smartly, I certainly respect it. While the Cardinals are not a poor team, their resources are much smaller than the Dodgers.
  • Options

<< <i>Any team knocking down the teams with a $200 million dollar payroll will received props and rightfully so.....I like to root for the teams like the Pirates, A's and Rays in the postseason for that reason. They achieved success by doing it smartly, I certainly respect it. While the Cardinals are not a poor team, their resources are much smaller than the Dodgers. >>

EVERY team's resources are less than the Dodgers. But the Cardinals are hardly the little guys here. They spent over $116 million, which is nearly $50 million more than the A's and Rays. No, they aren't in any, way, shape or form an 'underdog'.
  • Options
    My feet are starting to slip in all the piles of sour grapes around here...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>My feet are starting to slip in all the piles of sour grapes around here... >>

My feet have been slipping in all the BS being piled up about how St. Louis fans are supposedly so 'classy' and the Cards themselves supposedly carrying themselves with such class.
  • Options

EVERY team's resources are less than the Dodgers. But the Cardinals are hardly the little guys here. They spent over $116 million, which is nearly $50 million more than the A's and Rays. No, they aren't in any, way, shape or form an 'underdog'. >>

Cardinals has $100 million less than the Dodgers, why are you trying to have it both ways?
  • Options

<< <i>EVERY team's resources are less than the Dodgers. But the Cardinals are hardly the little guys here. They spent over $116 million, which is nearly $50 million more than the A's and Rays. No, they aren't in any, way, shape or form an 'underdog'. >>

Cardinals has $100 million less than the Dodgers, why are you trying to have it both ways? >>

I'm not I am simply implying that $116 in salary buys you a hell of a lot of talent and lots of ways to buy your way out of mistakes and injuries.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>EVERY team's resources are less than the Dodgers. But the Cardinals are hardly the little guys here. They spent over $116 million, which is nearly $50 million more than the A's and Rays. No, they aren't in any, way, shape or form an 'underdog'. >>

Cardinals has $100 million less than the Dodgers, why are you trying to have it both ways? >>

I'm not I am simply implying that $116 in salary buys you a hell of a lot of talent and lots of ways to buy your way out of mistakes and injuries. >>

Chris Carpenter St. Louis Cardinals Starting pitcher Missouri National League NL Central $11,941,975 37
    Jake Westbrook St. Louis Cardinals Starting pitcher Missouri National League NL Central $8,750,000 34
    Jaime Garcia St. Louis Cardinals Starting pitcher Missouri National League NL Central $5,875,000 25

Those three were replaced by Wacha, Miller and Kelly who are all making the minimum salary this year.........

Rafael Furcal St. Louis Cardinals Shortstop Missouri National League NL Central $7,500,000 34

Replaced by Pete Kozma who is making the minimum salary this year..............

Jason Motte St. Louis Cardinals Closer Missouri National League NL Central $4,500,000 30

Replaced by Trevor Rosenthal who is making the minimum salary this year.............

Ty Wigginton St. Louis Cardinals Utility Missouri National League NL Central $2,500,000 34

Replaced on the bench by either Adron Chambers or Kolten Wong who are making minimum salary this year........

Buying ways out of mistakes, are you sure about that?

• Options
    Yes, I am quite sure. Look, you have your opinion, I have mine. Let's leave it at that.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Best is a bad term, but they have good fans. I am sure that Skip Schumaker was impressed to have a standing ovation last night to the point that he tipped his cap to the fans prior to his pinch hit at bat. Announcers constantly overstate things about teams or their fans all the time. That is why guys like Vin Scully are so special. >>

Just another indication of having a little class and respecting the guys that helped you in the past. I can remember being at a game where they did the same thing for So Taguchi some time back. Can't say that I've seen much of that with other teams. Normally their "exes" get booed.

I like Vin Scully. I wish he was one of ours. >>

Coming from a former division foe, that had his heart break many times, I always respected the organization and their fans.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I think I am right on these stats (I am, at least, close to right)

On the 25 man roster, the Cardinals have.....

3 acquired by free agency

2 acquired by trade

20 that came up through the minor leagues (that is not a typo - 20!)

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Yes, I am quite sure. Look, you have your opinion, I have mine. Let's leave it at that. >>

I did not think you would have much response to my stats backing up "not buying way out of mistakes or injuries".....but have to give you credit for just deflecting to answer my response and not just me hearing crickets......
  • Options

<< <i>

Just another indication of having a little class and respecting the guys that helped you in the past. I can remember being at a game where they did the same thing for So Taguchi some time back. Can't say that I've seen much of that with other teams. Normally their "exes" get booed. >>

See responses like that are the reason articles like this get written. I don't know why you Cards fans need to know how/why you're so much different than every other fanbase, but see you're really not. You're just different in the way that the fanbase is composed of people who wouldn't look out of place at a Dwight Schrute family reunion. Every fanbase loves their gritty terrible replacement level players...current or former. Even organizations who never cut a check to David Eckstein. Name me one Grinder McGritty player who has been booed by their former fanbase. Or at least one who didn't 'disrespect' the hallowed organization on his way out of town. Brandon Inge isn't cracking his wallet in Detroit for a round of PBRs, one would assume. There's still a sea of Inge 15 jerseys lining Comerica on any given night. How many organizations have given a live mic to Rex Hudler now, three? He's comically unlistenably awful at the color analyst job, and he's still cashing checks(with a Tim McCarver mask and revolver, presumably) because people loved him as a player because grit.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, I am quite sure. Look, you have your opinion, I have mine. Let's leave it at that. >>

And his opinion is always right and everyone elses is always wrong.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I am sick of them all though I have always respected them gong back to the days of Ozzie, Coleman, McGee, Herr, Oberkfell, Andujar and Tudor. Other than Jack Clark, I dont think anyone hit more than 11 home runs a year. But with all that speed that culdmanufacture them with the best.

Not really a Cardinals gripe, more of a "stupid stat" gripe at ESPN. After the Cardinals series win, it was noted that this would be their first trip to the World Series since 2011. You mean they missed all those years in between then and now????
  • Options

<< <i>Not really a Cardinals gripe, more of a "stupid stat" gripe at ESPN. After the Cardinals series win, it was noted that this would be their first trip to the World Series since 2011. You mean they missed all those years in between then and now???? >>

My wife and I both "laughed out loud" on that one!

Shane

• Options

I love Deadspin. They give butthurt pseudo-journalist fans of losing teams a place to vent profanities about the object du jour of their ire...

So when there's a team out there that's successful by playing as a team rather than a collection of individuals, and people can't find anything bad to say about how they play...they attack their fans instead?

I've been a Card fan all my life and whether they did well or they totally tanked (and people seem to forget that they have done plenty of the latter), I've never profanely insulted another team's fans over it.
    And whether they win the WS or not I'm not going to insult Red Sox fans.
    This is a sport; it's supposed to be fun rooting for your team and good naturedly ribbing the other guys.
    Some people however seem intent on sucking all the joy out of it. I pity them.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>I love Deadspin. They give butthurt pseudo-journalist fans of losing teams a place to vent profanities about the object du jour of their ire...

So when there's a team out there that's successful by playing as a team rather than a collection of individuals, and people can't find anything bad to say about how they play...they attack their fans instead?

I've been a Card fan all my life and whether they did well or they totally tanked (and people seem to forget that they have done plenty of the latter), I've never profanely insulted another team's fans over it.
    This is a sport; it's supposed to be fun rooting for your team and good naturedly ribbing the other guys.
    Some people however seem intent on sucking all the joy out of it. I pity them. >>

Right because only cardinals fans have ever been attacked. Yankee fans, Heat fans, Duke fans, the list goes on and on. Cards fans aren't anything special no matter how many media stories are spun trying to make them out to be the 'best' fans. You're nothing special and it's time to actually understand that.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    2010 = Giants win WS
    2011 = Cardinals win WS
    2012 = Giants win WS
    2013 = Cardinals win WS?

Is this some sort of "thing" now?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>I love Deadspin. They give butthurt pseudo-journalist fans of losing teams a place to vent profanities about the object du jour of their ire...

Some people however seem intent on sucking all the joy out of it. I pity them. >>

Again, it's not team performance based and the Cards' success is only one component of this. The negativity is a byproduct of the fanbase's continual sanctimoniousness. That you guys honestly believe you're somehow different than every other obnoxious fanbase...and make no mistake, every fanbase that exists is obnoxious no matter what the sport is. Even in an individual supposed 'gentlemanly' game like tennis, go to any tennis message board and the same English-killing, homophobic, ALL CAPS responding idiocy also exists between fanboys of any given player...most notably between Federer and Nadal fanboys & girls. I'm guessing Euro soccer fans are even worse. In this case, this negativity is based around Cardinal fans continual attempt to separate themselves from the pack. As my previous link (don't think you can hyperlink Twitter links here)

https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

shows, Cardinal fans are exactly the same as the rest of us. Seriously, scroll down that front page. It's a compilation of real Cardinal fan tweets. It's a mock account, but the tweets are real. So while you may not engage in the negativity and 'butthurt', your Cardinal fan brethren were busy thumbing out Magic Johnson still has AIDS!!! and various homophobic blasts - the same as every other obnoxious meatball fanbase. Sure it's easier and cheaper to pen these columns, but they're looking for page clicks and responses. They will bring in more eyes than the Cards being a collective negative value (-5.3 dWar) defensive team, or how well the Cards have scouted and developed later draft round players. That's really the only interesting thing about the Cardinals anyway. Their ability to develop mid-tier talent level prospects...especially those later into their 20's. The Allen Craig, Matt Adams, Freese, Matt Carpenter type guys who on any given scout grading scale wouldn't receive more than a 60 grade on any tool. It's not even the drafting, as the Cards have their share of busts too - 1st rounders this past decade - Daric Barton, Chris Lambert, Ottavino, Kozma, Brett Wallace, Zack Cox looks like a bust etc. But they targeted Barton, Wallace, and Cox as guys who probably wouldn't reach their ceiling and dealt them while they still had value. Those types of columns are only of interest to people who read hardcore baseball nerd sites....ie the minority of baseball fans. No one is coming to Deadspin to read how the Cards continually develop guys late in their mid to late 20's when statistically they should be getting ready to hang up the Mizunos and start looking for a State Farm branch to sell insurance at.
  • Options

<< <i>

Right because only cardinals fans have ever been attacked. Yankee fans, Heat fans, Duke fans, the list goes on and on. Cards fans aren't anything special no matter how many media stories are spun trying to make them out to be the 'best' fans. You're nothing special and it's time to actually understand that. >>

Seriously guy-what is your problem? Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about Card fans being the only ones that have ever been attacked. The only person here pizzing and moaning about how Card fans think they're special is you. Get over it already.

As to that Deadspin article...it's hard to take someone seriously who bemoans fans of one team for a false air of classiness (whatever the heck that means), infers that there are lots of classy fans of other teams...yet he does so by dropping a host of F-bombs and the like. Classy indeed.

Edit to add- lanemyer- you just proved the point that obnoxiousness is not limited to any particular group of fans... yet somehow STL fans seem to be the ones being targeted. This wouldn't be happening if they had a crappy season. Success breeds contempt I guess.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Man those deadspin writers are so mean! I guess cardinal fans are so used to every media outlet slurping their team and fans they can't handle some criticism. You think you're unique in being ridiculed? Obviously you've never read deadspin if you think you guys are alone in being ridiculed. Christ, throw a thicker skin already.
  • Options

<< <i>Man those deadspin writers are so mean! I guess cardinal fans are so used to every media outlet slurping their team and fans they can't handle some criticism. You think you're unique in being ridiculed? Obviously you've never read deadspin if you think you guys are alone in being ridiculed. Christ, throw a thicker skin already. >>

Every media outlet? Really? Exaggerate much?
    I read Deadspin whenever I need a chuckle. Their writers act like foulmouthed ignorant high school punks.
    And there's a difference between legitimate criticism and profanity-laced out and out bashing.
    As to growing a thicker skin...take your own advice. You're obviously wounded that (someone-whatever team you fancy) isn't in the WS.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Next you'll be suggesting all deadspin writers live in their parents basements.

They do legitimate critical journalism and also irreverent pieces as well. They had the exclusive on the Manti teo cat fishing story for example.

Just because they aren't slurping the cardinals doesn't make them ignorant.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Right because only cardinals fans have ever been attacked. Yankee fans, Heat fans, Duke fans, the list goes on and on. Cards fans aren't anything special no matter how many media stories are spun trying to make them out to be the 'best' fans. You're nothing special and it's time to actually understand that. >>

Seriously guy-what is your problem? Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about Card fans being the only ones that have ever been attacked. The only person here pizzing and moaning about how Card fans think they're special is you. Get over it already.

As to that Deadspin article...it's hard to take someone seriously who bemoans fans of one team for a false air of classiness (whatever the heck that means), infers that there are lots of classy fans of other teams...yet he does so by dropping a host of F-bombs and the like. Classy indeed.

Edit to add- lanemyer- you just proved the point that obnoxiousness is not limited to any particular group of fans... yet somehow STL fans seem to be the ones being targeted. This wouldn't be happening if they had a crappy season. Success breeds contempt I guess. >>

St Louis fans aren't the only group being targeted. I think Yankee and Red Sox fans have the franchise on that front. Cardinal fans just happen to be the team being targeted here because you know, the title of the thread is "who else is sick of the Cardinals". So that is the topic. We're posting in regard to why we're sick of the Cardinals. If the Red Sox happen to defeat the Cards in a week or so you can author a thread regarding 'who else is sick of the Red Sox' and we can all chip off replies about David Ortiz being on PEDs or how no Cardinal would ever dare flip his bat like Big Papi and show up the pitcher or chicken and beer jokes or something. I don't know the ratio of Deadspin posts about Red Sox Nation and Yankee fans are horribly obnoxious people posts, but I suspect their individual number probably outweighs Cardinal fans are horrible people posts by quite a large margin. Probably Philly, Cubs, White Sox, Dodger, Giants fans and any other larger city for that matter. I really don't care about the Cardinals, the team or their success. They are no different than the Marlins or Mariners to me. Their fanbase is what annoys me but that's primarily because there are a good number of them around here and I have to sit next to their sweaty tank-top and jorts wearing -deodorant optional selves at games and listen to them prattle on about how somehow in this stadium that was built in the middle of a neighborhood 100 years ago - there should have ample parking for out of town guests who the rival franchise doesn't need or really want around anyway. Or the endless cracker-barrel fodder regarding how such good boys the Cards all are. Speaking of which, the whole "Our boys" sentence starting thing you guys do makes me want to punch babies. It's like listening to all the Red Wing fans I grew up with attempt to defend leaping head-shotter Niklas Kronwall. How every bean-ball war the Cards were involved in was simple retaliation for crimes committed against the club...."Our boys didn't start that". "That was Baker/Hurdle/Roenicke/future Cub manager's fault", and then grin uncontrollably knowing that the Cards have something like 45 more HBPs over the last decade than any other team...with a staff largely composed of sinker balling control pitchers....while also realizing a lot of these people are also Blues fans who may be the most blood-lusting meatball hockey fans outside of Boston. So, you see, it's really not that big of a deal, and I don't really need to get over anything, appreciate the concern, though. It's the same bar conversation I've had with Cardinal fans I've went to school with, lived around, played in fantasy baseball leagues with, or worked aside with a million times....and at the end of it, I come out of it...well tired, of course. But then I kind of recognize that if I lived in a city or area where the baseball team is really the only thing happening, I would probably be in the same boat as you kids. Probably not, because I care about hockey just as much as baseball, but it's possible. If it weren't for simple geography, we could all easily be one of those Cardinal fans who fires off angry emails to Keith Law because he once said something negative about 'Our Boys', while randomly posting on message boards in a really uninteresting humorless fashion. In all seriousness though, I honestly do believe that the longer the Cards get away from the LaRussa, Chris Carpenter, and Pujols era the fanbase....well at least the franchise will become a bit more...perhaps neutral in the hateability dept because I really don't think the backlash is primarily the result of all the Cardinal success lately. That's part of it, perhaps a larger portion of it to more casual baseball fans, sure, but not the only component. If one follows baseball at a hardcore level, there's still aspects to dislike about them, even aside from the responsibility of creating Joe Buck as well as the hilariously awful mainstream media coverage you guys have...at least those not named Derrick Goold who is often a fantastic read.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lane, it's ok to break a paragraph now and then... image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Every media outlet? Really? Exaggerate much?
    >>

Everything great about the Cardinals was on display in their third-inning rally

Two years post-Pujols, full-steam ahead for Series-bound Cardinals

Cards tired of Dodgers' Disneyland antics

The list goes on and on. Yes, EVERY media outlet has been on this foolish 'the Cardinals play the right way!' kick.
  • Options
    I'm a Cards fan for this week and maybe next week. Not a fan of the Sox and especially Ortiz. Why all the love for a roid user?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a Cards fan for this week and maybe next week. Not a fan of the Sox and especially Ortiz. Why all the love for a roid user? >>

Right because pujols didn't use peds when he was there and the did have mcgwire as a hitting coach too. Lets also not forget Larussas DUI as well.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Every media outlet? Really? Exaggerate much?
    >>

Everything great about the Cardinals was on display in their third-inning rally

Two years post-Pujols, full-steam ahead for Series-bound Cardinals

Cards tired of Dodgers' Disneyland antics

The list goes on and on. Yes, EVERY media outlet has been on this foolish 'the Cardinals play the right way!' kick. >>

So you disagree and think they don't play the right way? What way do they play, then? Are they not using the proper equipment? And is this the first time you've ever seen an article talking up a given team?
    Sports writers write puff pieces about teams all the time. What outside of your personal disdain for the team and its fans makes stories like these any different from other stories written about other playoff/WS competitors?

I maintain that, all other things being equal, this thread and the attitude behind it wouldn't exist if the Cards were cellar dwellers this year.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>So you disagree and think they don't play the right way? What way do they play, then? Are they not using the proper equipment? And is this the first time you've ever seen an article talking up a given team? >>

There's a difference between 'talking up a given team' and the mindless drivel that these 'journalists' perpetuate in the mythical way in which St. Louis plays baseball.

<< <i>Sports writers write puff pieces about teams all the time. What outside of your personal disdain for the team and its fans makes stories like these any different from other stories written about other playoff/WS competitors? >>

Oh, I don't know, maybe its the miserable fans who continue to believe they are somehow more special than other fanbases (no doubt empowered by these ridiculous articles written in so many formats).

<< <i>I maintain that, all other things being equal, this thread and the attitude behind it wouldn't exist if the Cards were cellar dwellers this year. >>

And their fans wouldn't be running off at the mouth if they were cellar dwellars, either.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Lane, it's ok to break a paragraph now and then...>>>

LOL...Lane can rant with the best of them...I agree with his point about the Cardinals being no different than the Mariners or Marlins. As good as the Cards might be, they just aren't all that interesting to me. I'm not sick of them, but maybe I will be after this series.

I've been thoroughly amused by this thread. I'm pretty sure something similar started about the Red Sox after the '07 Series, when Sox fans were insufferable after winning twice in four years, showing up all over the U.S. at road ballparks and being fairly obnoxious (86 years of having to cower in corner will bring that out, I guess).

I imagine most of the country has hated Boston's championship teams of the past decade (led by "pretty-boy Brady", "fake-tough KG", "PED-taking" Papi, etc.), but this year's squad is one the country can root for, especially in light of the Marathon bombings, which happened only 6 months ago.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm a Cards fan for this week and maybe next week. Not a fan of the Sox and especially Ortiz. Why all the love for a roid user? >>

Right because pujols didn't use peds when he was there and the did have mcgwire as a hitting coach too. Lets also not forget Larussas DUI as well. >>

I didn't use Google yet but I'm pretty sure none of the guys you mentioned are still on the current Cardinals team.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Right because pujols didn't use peds when he was there and the did have mcgwire as a hitting coach too. Lets also not forget Larussas DUI as well. >>

I didn't use Google yet but I'm pretty sure none of the guys you mentioned are still on the current Cardinals team. >>

Perhaps you failed to recognize the word 'was' as past tense? But when it comes to trying to squeeze your narrative into a box that just doesn't fit, I guess you can just feign ignorance.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I imagine most of the country has hated Boston's championship teams of the past decade (led by "pretty-boy Brady", "fake-tough KG", "PED-taking" Papi, etc.), but this year's squad is one the country can root for, especially in light of the Marathon bombings, which happened only 6 months ago. >>

Ya know, I've been a Red Sox fan for as long as I can remember. The very first baseball jersey I ever bought was a Red Sox jersey. The Tigers are my first love but Boston was up there, too.

Until the ALCS.

The constant complaining from Red Sox hitters - particularly in game 1 - turned me off big-time. I'm pretty sure Dustin Pedroia has never once been throw a strike in his entire career. Ever. The hypocritical "PED" taunt of Jhonny Peralta from Red Sox fans kinda sealed things. I mean, we are talking about the team that employed Manny Ramirez, right? And the one that still has David Ortiz on the roster?

So, yeah, won't be rooting for the Red Sox this year. They ARE a good story, thanks to the crazy comeback in game 2 and the big GS in game 6, but they just became unlikeable for me during the ALCS.