Home Sports Talk
Options

Is it time for the Hal McRae rule to be applied for running into the catcher?

2»

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I think there needs to be a little training on both sides.

Here's some screen captures of the 4 more high-profile catcher-injuring collisions.

In the top two, Fosse and Santana, you can see the catcher was pretty much straddling the baseline and blocking the plate. Kinda hard to blame the runner for bad positioning by the catcher. Santana messed up. You don't stick your leg out like that. Ironically, his leg would have probably been ok if the runner decided to do a body check instead of trying to slide through his leg.

With Posey and Avlia, they set up on the side of the plate and the runner decided that they had a better shot at knocking the ball loose than sliding.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With Posey and Avlia, they set up on the side of the plate and the runner decided that they had a better shot at knocking the ball loose than sliding.

image >>

I'll give you Posey, which was more of him dropping the ball and not paying attention. Avlia lined up for a hit by putting his shoulder down and leaned toward into the runner. You can see his left leg cross home plate and dig in. IMO, he was inviting a hit and made no effort to get away.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    The runner gunning for the catcher (even when set out of the basepath) is a reckless and unnecessary play, and will soon be rightfully ejected from the game of baseball. Let's not ignore that these collisions are ONLY allowed at the pro level, and at every other level below MLB, runners targeting the catcher is strictly prohibited. I wonder if that makes them less than men to 'real' men like stown and sophillyfan?

"The team officials who expect the change to occur believe that Major League Baseball will simply adopt the rules on plays at the plate that are used at every level below professional baseball: The baserunner is guaranteed an avenue to the plate and is not allowed to target the catcher."

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Despite the protests of those who claim it will lead to the 'wussification' of the game, "A discussion about changes aimed to greatly reduce home plate collisions is expected to take place next week in Orlando, Fla., where general managers will meet."

Story

"Sources say that a growing number of team executives are strongly in favor of change, especially in light of developed medical information about concussions and a refined understanding of the cost of injuries resulting from collisions -- to the players involved and the clubs.

"I think we've learned a lot from what's going on in the NFL," said one club official, referring to the lawsuits that former players have filed against the league.

[bMany club executives believe there is so much sentiment in favor of change that they will advocate the immediate adoption of rules used at the amateur levels. Before 2011, some team officials had already privately advised their catchers not to block the plate, but the conversation about a rule change gained momentum after San Francisco's Buster Posey had his left leg shattered in a collision in May of that season.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy and Oakland GM Billy Beane were among the first to call for changes on the play, and in the past year they have been joined by the likes of St. Louis manager Mike Matheny and former managers Tony La Russa and Jim Leyland.

"It's time," one general manager said recently."