Home Precious Metals
Options

Nice deal on JM 1oz Silver

vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
APMEX has 1 oz Johnson Matthey silver bars for $1.49 over spot (any qty) and free shipping with code "FREESHIP50". I picked up 10 for $229 shipped.
References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.

Comments

• Options
    I saw that tonight. I'm going to wait and see what silver does tomorrow because the deal is sealed now. If it drops, I'll definitely pick some up. that's cheap!
    successful transactions with: vpr, robman, piecesofme, metalsman, gdavis70, agentjim007, ranshdow and more to come!
  • Options
    I was really not looking to buy any PMs for the next few months, but I just couldn't resist this deal.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up!

APMEX JM Bar Sale Linkarooski
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Bought a 100 ozs. I love these opportunities to stack some silver at favorable prices. With the spendaholics running our government, I see more massive spending and inflation to pay for this spending in our future. It may not happen in the near future but eventually we'll have to pay the piper.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    JM bars not made by JM though I believe...made by some outsourced refiner. But I suppose if you are one of the ones that look at silver just being silver it's a good deal.

One of my sources has 10 oz Morgan dollar style bars and APMEX bars at .70 over Spot, but I've got to buy all 11. Couldn't pull the trigger with Spot appearing to be heading back to the $teens
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    JM 1 Oz silver bars are outsourced but I won't say who makes them because if JM chooses not to make it public not gonna go there. Our own MCM Star Bars, are made by Sunshine. Sunshine makes bars (and coins) for many but it's kept under the radar.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    JM might not make them but they are still JM bars. I don't think they would let their name be put on something if it wasn't the same quality as the "original" made in the JM factory. About like if Coke wanted Pepsi to start Coke production in it's facility, it'd still be Coke.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>JM might not make them but they are still JM bars. I don't think they would let their name be put on something if it wasn't the same quality as the "original" made in the JM factory. About like if Coke wanted Pepsi to start Coke production in it's facility, it'd still be Coke. >>

Agreed, and wasn't implying otherwise.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options

<< <i>JM might not make them but they are still JM bars. I don't think they would let their name be put on something if it wasn't the same quality as the "original" made in the JM factory. About like if Coke wanted Pepsi to start Coke production in it's facility, it'd still be Coke. >>

I agree with guitarwes, though the appeal is different knowing that these bars are produced by Sunshine Minting instead of the original JM company.
    Having said that, it is the design and quality that matters. I work for a big name in the fashion industry, our customers buy the name because they know the Man himself approved the designs and is synonym of quality.
    We produce everywhere in the world but we perform the quality control.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    I think the popularity of JM bars makes this a good deal. Doesn't matter who makes them. I bet 90% of the people who buy them don't even know they're made by a different company. JM bars usually sell for 3 over spot, so getting them for near the price of generic bars with free shipping is a terrific deal. We can comfortably flip them on Ebay, pay the fees and still break even or come out ahead, assuming spot stays the same.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much harder are these to sell vs say ASEs and what kind of premium is typical?
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>APMEX has 1 oz Johnson Matthey silver bars for $1.49 over spot (any qty) and free shipping with code "FREESHIP50". I picked up 10 for $229 shipped. >>

I can't get the free shipping code to work. Is it over?
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>How much harder are these to sell vs say ASEs and what kind of premium is typical? >>

They can be compared to ASEs for premium and saleability. eBay shows premium of $4-$5 per bar.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>APMEX has 1 oz Johnson Matthey silver bars for $1.49 over spot (any qty) and free shipping with code "FREESHIP50". I picked up 10 for $229 shipped. >>

I can't get the free shipping code to work. Is it over? >>

Ends at midnight tonight, but my email doesn't mention free shipping. Hard to believe they would sell one bar at $1.49 over and ship for free.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I can't get the free shipping code to work. Is it over? >>

Ends at midnight tonight, but my email doesn't mention free shipping. Hard to believe they would sell one bar at $1.49 over and ship for free. >>

that was the offer I had received in email which they told me didn't exist. I will not deal with them again. It took them 3 emails for them to admit it wasn't a mistake but it wasn't a valid offer either.... Putting things into your cart and not buying, triggers it. But you didn't hear that from me image
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    It's no secret that Sunshine Minting makes these bars under license from J-M. Sunshine also makes most of the planchets for the ASE's.

Check the 1 oz J-M bars on the Provident Metals web site. In the description they say that they are produced by Sunhine Minting under license from J-M.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can comfortably flip them on Ebay, pay the fees and still break even or come out ahead, assuming spot stays the same.

What's the fully burdened hourly profit on such activities? Do you include the bookkeeping and tax accounting ramifications in mind? I did the math for myself and cant get the numbers to work out in my favor image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i> We can comfortably flip them on Ebay, pay the fees and still break even or come out ahead, assuming spot stays the same.

What's the fully burdened hourly profit on such activities? Do you include the bookkeeping and tax accounting ramifications in mind? I did the math for myself and cant get the numbers to work out in my favor image >>

I agree!!! Time is money!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Just hold a bit longer image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's worth anyone's time to do that. That's how I usually check if I'm getting a good deal.
  • Options

<< <i> We can comfortably flip them on Ebay, pay the fees and still break even or come out ahead, assuming spot stays the same.

What's the fully burdened hourly profit on such activities? Do you include the bookkeeping and tax accounting ramifications in mind? I did the math for myself and cant get the numbers to work out in my favor image >>

Hardly worth the effort IMO, unless one has lots of free time.
  • Options
    I think the popularity of JM bars makes this a good deal. Doesn't matter who makes them. I bet 90% of the people who buy them don't even know they're made by a different company

It's no secret that Sunshine Minting makes these bars under license from J-M. Sunshine also makes most of the planchets for the ASE's

Ummm, there seems to be a difference of opinion in and of it self right there from two people who've posted in this very thread. Just sayin... image
    Let me put it to you this way. If some refiner started making old pour 5 oz Engelhards, and you knew they were being produced that way because they were licensed to do so, would you still pay the premiums of the knock offs vs. the originally made bars that are true genuine Engelhards?
    No? Well that's what you're doing buying JM bars made by Sunshine.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me put it to you this way. If some refiner started making old pour 5 oz Engelhards, and you knew they were being produced that way because they were licensed to do so, would you still pay the premiums of the knock offs vs. the originally made bars that are true genuine Engelhards?

I wouldn't pay the premium either way. If I'm going to collect numismatically, I prefer old coins

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great price on these for the silver bar stacker.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me put it to you this way. If some refiner started making old pour 5 oz Engelhards, and you knew they were being produced that way because they were licensed to do so, would you still pay the premiums of the knock offs vs. the originally made bars that are true genuine Engelhards?

I wouldn't pay the premium either way. If I'm going to collect numismatically, I prefer old coins >>

A big 10 4 with that response.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, these are generics and should be treated as such. Remind me when they're on sale for sub $0.99 premium.
  • Options
    Sorry, these are generics and should be treated as such. Remind me when they're on sale for sub $0.99 premium.

image equal to a 2004 Merry Christmas round with an inscription to someone on it wishing them a Merry Christmas.
    If there ever was such a thing as silver just being silver, it would be these knock offs. All jmho
    Having the JM design on them means nothing because they are not originals, which in turn should make the original JM's go UP in value., just like real old pour 5 oz Engelhards are due to some fakes hitting the market place. It seems like the more fakes are being brought to light, the more genuine ones rise in value. I dont see why this wouldn't eventually start happening to orginal JM's too.
  • Options
    buy the .999 silver, not the label.

• Options
    They are being priced similar to other silver bars so I don't see what the problem is with them. You can be sure that J-M is making sure that they are being made to their specifications and high standards.

• Options
    One would certainly purchase what they feel is fairly priced, baring in mind that they may not get what the originals fetch, most importantly, when it comes time to sell.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the popularity of JM bars makes this a good deal. Doesn't matter who makes them. I bet 90% of the people who buy them don't even know they're made by a different company

It's no secret that Sunshine Minting makes these bars under license from J-M. Sunshine also makes most of the planchets for the ASE's

Ummm, there seems to be a difference of opinion in and of it self right there from two people who've posted in this very thread. Just sayin... image
    No? Well that's what you're doing buying JM bars made by Sunshine. >>

If Engelhard licensed a reputable company like Sunshine Minting to produce 5 oz poured bars and they looked like the older bars, I wouldn't pay a large premium since they are current production bars that would be mass produced to meet current demand. Also, I would no longer pay a large premium for the older bars.

• Options

<< <i>equal to a 2004 Merry Christmas round with an inscription to someone on it wishing them a Merry Christmas. >>

Totally disagree. The J-M bars are sealed and have a serial number and are backed by J-M's reputation. As I said previously, you can be sure that J-M is supervising the quality and silver content of these bars that bear their logo. The generic rounds don't even indicate on them who manufactured them. That said, I wouldn't pay more than a nominal premium for any bar that is currently being mass produced.

• Options
    All I'm saying is we all like what we all personally like. Buy away to your hearts content, but when it comes time to sell, be aware that someone like me will not be interested...the same way you may not be interested in paying Spot + $40 for a 5 oz old pour Engelhard when I am trying to sell.

So in conclusion, my last thought (hopefully about this), buy what you like and what you think is a good price, but the reminder is, think of what you may be limiting yourself to when it comes time to sell.

If all you care about is that you have a piece of silver that is a slave to whatever Spot is doing and that wont bother you if Spot tanks, because remember, it is a slave to Spot, buy it.
    If you want to have the opportunity to enhance what you are selling by paying more for it far more than Spot initially because of what it is, buy it.
    I am just trying to point out the collectibility of this kind of item vs. a piece that is a slave to Spot, when it comes tiem to sell.

Example:
    If you bought these JM bars at $25, you're down about $5/bar now because they follow, more closely, what Spot is.

Buying a collectible bar when Spot was at $25, and it now being lets just say $20, those bars have actually gone UP from where they were when Spot was $25...when Spot is NOW $20.

I'll leave it to you all to decide which is the better approach. Thanks for letting me share my point of view whether you feel it's wrong or right. I dont think there is a wrong or right, as long as you are aware of what you are buying and what it will bring when it comes time for you to sell.
  • Options
    WHY someone buys is the difference. Are they stacking or are they collecting? The difference determines WHAT they buy. Stacking and collecting are not always the same thing. The bars in the OP were a great deal for the stacker and have since been repriced at 3.18 over spot.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WHY someone buys is the difference. Are they stacking or are they collecting? The difference determines WHAT they buy. Stacking and collecting are not always the same thing. The bars in the OP were a great deal for the stacker and have since been repriced at 3.18 over spot. >>

derryB is pointing out the obvious forest from the trees here.
    Some appear to be confusing or missing this point.
    This is what is important!
    Big difference!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Typically when I buy for stacking, I have to worry about taking a loss of premium when I sell because I can't usually get the premium I pay for them (sort of like a spread). If say Provident is selling ASEs for $4 over spot and that's the best normal price, I would have a very hard time getting 4 over spot if I want to sell because a rational, informed person would rather buy from a big dealer, than risk buying counterfeits from me, especially if the price is the same.

I can sell these JM bars locally for $2 over, all day along. I paid $1.50 over for them. So, it is a great deal! What's so hard to understand here? Speculating where premiums will go in the future for JM bars is a bit silly if you're stacking and not buying at collectors' premiums. And $1.50 over hardly counts as collectors' premiums.

• Options
    All silver bars will always be worth at least close to their melt value. If you pay a big premium for a "rare" or "collectable" silver bar, you need to realize that premium may disappear when it comes time to sell it. Even if the premium doesn't disappear, if may be very difficult to find a buyer willing to pay that premium for your bar. This is why I maintain it's far safer to buy a name brand from a reliable source at as close as possible to melt value. That said, I just bought a really nice early 50 oz Engelhard silver bar from a fellow forum member so I occasional indulge in buying a rare bar at a reasonable premium over melt.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    The market is saying that was a fabulous price. The average price of the (10) most recently completed auctions for a new, 1 oz JM bar is $27.03. These were true auctions and do not include shipping. The peak spot price during that time was $22.20. Adding in Apmex' $1.49 brings you to a max of $23.69.

Silvertowne, NWT, etc., closing prices did not come close in the time frame.
  • Options
    If you pay a big premium for a "rare" or "collectable" silver bar, you need to realize that premium may disappear when it comes time to sell it. Even if the premium doesn't disappear, if may be very difficult to find a buyer willing to pay that premium for your bar.

This has been the opposite as I pointed out earlier. With the fall in Spot value, "collectable" bars have actually gone up in value, some quite significantly, up to 25% more than just 6 months ago. I feel a part of why is another reason I already mentioned. There are a known presence of sellers selling fakes. Those who collect these "collectable" bars are very well in tune with that. So how does that make the value of a real collectable bar rise then? Because people are becoming more knowledgeable of the fakes entering the market and will now pay more for the real thing.

If I had the time, I could argue the semantics of it all day, but as already stated, buy what you feel fits what you want to collect, there is no wrong or right approach, it's a personal matter of what appeals to you.