Home Sports Talk
Options

Why are the Kansas City Chiefs so good this year ?

I don't follow Pro Football much.

What is making this team click ?

I see their defense is letting up very few points, and I guess they got that QB from San Fran.

Have their defensive draft picks just grown up together in the same system, and now they are making it work ?
Did they bring in some good defenders ?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Reid.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Above average qb play plus an insanely easy schedule.
  • Options
    OK. So I guess they'll get exposed by Denver.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have a qb that can think on his feet. Must be nice!
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Crazy defensive talent at all three levels, most of which somehow remain underrated even at 6-0. Head coach upgrade. Quarterback upgrade. Last place schedule.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Lets make that 8-0, even though the Chiefs played like carpimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks the Chiefs' success is due to the coach didn't watch Reid's tenure in Philadelphia too carefully, especially the last few years.
  • Options
    I dont know if its Reid or not, never followed the Eagles. But it is whoever in management that is turning loose the front 4-7 depending on package.
    Our secondary is average to below average but with a carp-load of pressure on QB, they are protecting the secondary. No doubt the defense/special
    teams are packing the load.
  • Options
    It definitely helps having a huge upgrade at QB. Smith may not air it out down the field, but he doesn't make mistakes and turn the ball over, and Charles has been unrelenting this year. They haven't even needed to tap Dwayne Bowe (I should know, he's on my fantasy team) and that defense is amazing. Getting to see the Chiefs and Broncos play twice in three weeks is going to be sweet.
  • Options
    Smith is a pedestrain QB at best...not awful but not very good either. Thus far, they have limited their game plan to what works within his talents and it's been successful. A healthy Charles and a soft schedule are the primary reasons for their resurgence, imo. That, and Andy Reid and the coaching staff knowing the limitations of the offense and crafting a game plan and play calling to suit their strengths.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    They will be exposed....I don't mean a thumping; because they're decent.....but they may lose like 3 in a row or be 1 and done in the playoffs. Somewhat of a home field advantage though.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Andy Reid. >>

+1 and their schedule has not hurt them.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    buntbunt Posts: 625
    Aren't they visiting the 2015 Super Bowl champion Buffalo Bills next week though ? Will be trouble for the Chiefs.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Upgrade at QB + upgrade at head coach + good defense + 4th place team's schedule = a strong start to the season.

The true test will come when they play Denver in a few weeks. The defense is surprisingly tough and while Alex Smith isn't a flashy game-changer like Brees, Brady or Aaron Rodgers, he controls the ball well, is disciplined, rarely coughs up a turnover and who shines in the right system.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    The defense is surprisingly tough and while Alex Smith isn't a flashy game-changer like Brees, Brady or Aaron Rodgers, he controls the ball well, is disciplined, rarely coughs up a turnover and who shines in the right system.

Wait a minute...isn't this the same QB you wanted run out of town on a rail when he was the SF QB? Now he "shines in the right system"?? LOL!!

• Options

<< <i>The defense is surprisingly tough and while Alex Smith isn't a flashy game-changer like Brees, Brady or Aaron Rodgers, he controls the ball well, is disciplined, rarely coughs up a turnover and who shines in the right system.

Wait a minute...isn't this the same QB you wanted run out of town on a rail when he was the SF QB? Now he "shines in the right system"?? LOL!! >>

Absolutely. If you had to endure years of the pre 2011/ Harbaugh version of Alex Smith you would want him out of town too. The reinvented Alex Smith was a big improvement but still wasn't good enough in the minds of the organization and fans. If Alex was the answer he would still be on the team and Kaepernick would be an Eagle or Raider.

Smith's biggest supporters locally tend to be those who didn't start watching the team until Week 7 of the 2011 season. They weren't around for Alex Smith 2005-2010. They never endured watching a half decade of QB futility. Blame the coaches, system or whatever else you want but he was just plain bad.

The Chiefs system fits him. If he had landed with another team things would be different.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>The defense is surprisingly tough and while Alex Smith isn't a flashy game-changer like Brees, Brady or Aaron Rodgers, he controls the ball well, is disciplined, rarely coughs up a turnover and who shines in the right system.

Wait a minute...isn't this the same QB you wanted run out of town on a rail when he was the SF QB? Now he "shines in the right system"?? LOL!! >>

Bandwagon fans (like this guy and dimeman) are completely clueless when it comes to sports.
  • Options

<< <i>

Bandwagon fans (like this guy and dimeman) are completely clueless when it comes to sports. >>

And the jumpy know-it-all who's content with mediocrity and proud of failure trolls again...

Did you throw a celebration party for your kids tonight because they went a whole day without tripping over themselves?
  • Options

<< <i>
    And the jumpy know-it-all who's content with mediocrity and proud of failure trolls again...

Did you throw a celebration party for your kids tonight because they went a whole day without tripping over themselves? >>

Says the guy who only shows up to trash his so-called teams. Says the guy who can't even take joy in his supposed team making the super bowl. You want to talk trolls? You see one every time you look in the mirror. Go whine and complain on twitter some more, bandwagon fan.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the KC Chiefs win the AFC West, and go deep into the playoffs (maybe even get to and win the Superbowl), will a firestrom appear out of nowhere and loudly demand that KC change its name to something other than the "Chiefs" because someone, somewhere is (or claims to be) offended at the racist and demeaning connotation of the word "Chiefs" when used by a sports team?

If KC is lousy, I am not offended by the team name. If KC is good, I will get very offended, very quickly (especially if KC does better than my favorite team).
  • Options
    KC is one and done in the playoffs. Book it.

• Options

<< <i>KC is one and done in the playoffs. Book it. >>

If Denver wins the division like they should and KC hangs on to a wild card spot, which they should, their first round opponent should be the Colts or Bengals. Barring a major injury to a key player on either team, I don't see KC making it past the 1st round.
  • Options
    KC would beat either the Colts or the Bengals.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>KC would beat either the Colts or the Bengals. >>

Since they haven't faced an offense like either of those, I wouldn't think so. Even without Wayne, the Colts QB is kinda good.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>KC would beat either the Colts or the Bengals. >>

Since they haven't faced an offense like either of those, I wouldn't think so. Even without Wayne, the Colts QB is kinda good. >>

No doubt that Luck is a fantastic QB, but that team is unfortunately getting hit by the injury bug they did so well in avoiding last year. As far as the Bengals go, would you really bet money on Andy Dalton in a playoff game? Or Marvin Lewis for that matter?
  • Options
    I'd put money on the ginger ninja beating that KC defense before I'd put money on that defense stopping him.

Indy is a good team, and they will maintain. Good teams survive while dealing with injuries- look at the two top teams in the NFC West. I believe Indy can do the same.
  • Options
    I hear you about surviving without injuries, but Wayne, man, I don't know how you replace that. But I guess we will see, and I just checked Indy's schedule, they play both the Bengals and the Chiefs this year - December 8th vs the Bengals and then the 22nd against the Chiefs (and both games are on the road). Going to be a tough couple of games, but will tell us a ton about how they cope with that defense of KC.
  • Options
    Another creampuff on the schedule Sunday as Buffalo is down to to about their 4th string QB in all likelihood..

• Options
    This one hurts ! It has actually come down to the fact of the third string QB in there. Some 'mistakes'. Else Buffalo would have taken this. Still time but looking grim.

Buffalo 2015 Super Bowl Champs !
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>This one hurts ! It has actually come down to the fact of the third string QB in there. Some 'mistakes'. Else Buffalo would have taken this. Still time but looking grim.
    Buffalo 2015 Super Bowl Champs ! >>

I'll fix that for you ... Buffalo 3015 Super Bowl Champs! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ohh,, the mockery image
  • Options
    If it weren't for the QB situation, they'd be a lot better. They have one of the best rushing attacks in the league but when you are down to your 4th QB of the season and give up multiple pick 6s in a game, you aren't going to win many games.

• Options
    Another win today, although the offense did just about nothing. Two defensive TDs will help you win most days, especially against a team running its fourth string QB out there.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    The Chefs have been eating their Campbell's Chunky soup! It fills them up right! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    They have a qb that can think on his feet. Must be nice!

Sure DUMBMAN, sorry, DIMEMAN, he can think on his feet alright.

Alex Smith to himself, "Self, you have a great defense, you don't have to do anything special to win, just play safe and the defense will bring it home. Its not like you have to throw for 500 yards or anything"
  • Options
    Again...a defense that hasn't been challenged by a dynamic offense.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Again...a defense that hasn't been challenged by a dynamic offense.

Not sure what your definition of a "dynamic" offense is, other than probably Denver. But, the Chiefs have beaten 4 of the top 12 offenses in football including the #2 offense in Philadelphia.
  • Options
    Well like I told my wife, I'd love it if we could once again have ourselves a Super Bowl party this year (which we do whenever her Patriots (remember she's from Greater Boston) make the SB; they've done so twice since we've been together but both times they couldn't quite finish the job so to speak) and they are on track so far to get a two seed in the AFC...only trouble is not only are the Chefs running the table and has a two game lead over the Patriots for the top seed, I don't think the Chefs have been to the Big Game in quite some time (I know they won Super Bowl IV but I'm not sure about after that) so don't you guys think they should be far hungrier for the prize and thus my wife's chances at her Pats making the big game this year look kinda bleak for a probable two seed? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    So how much further will the Chiefs go before they get their first L ?
  • Options
    My wife is hoping in the AFC Championship game against the Pats image
    WISHLIST
  • Options

<< <i>So how much further will the Chiefs go before they get their first L ? >>

Im taking bets it wont be this weekimage

Seriously, I think the trip ends next week in Denverimage
  • Options
    Can't wait to see the Chiefs and the Broncos play next Sunday.

Nice to see the AFC West have the spotlight again. Been a long time.

Go Chiefs and go Denver. Hopefully is will be a very exciting game (with Denver winning of courseimage)
  • Options

<< <i>Can't wait to see the Chiefs and the Broncos play next Sunday.

Nice to see the AFC West have the spotlight again. Been a long time.

Go Chiefs and go Denver. Hopefully is will be a very exciting game (with Denver winning of courseimage) >>

I agree about the AFC West. Its been a while since our division as a whole has been relevent!

I might be the only Chiefs fan on the planet that was actually p*ssed when Denver lost to Indy. I wanted an
    undefeated matchupimage

I dont think we will win, but it should be an awesome game!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So how much further will the Chiefs go before they get their first L ? >>

Im taking bets it wont be this weekimage

Seriously, I think the trip ends next week in Denverimage >>

Just remember all that counts is who hoists that big silver trophy in the end. I mean last I checked there's no such thing (in ANY sport) as a trophy for having an undefeated regular season. And it's not like you get a bonus gold Lombardi trophy or something for going 19-0.

After all my wife's Patriots had an undefeated regular season in 2007...but because they couldn't finish the job, nobody cares. If anything they're mostly considered a joke. Seriously, you'd rather run the table in the post season, not the regular season.
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    they are NOT so good...

look at some their wins...against JAC / OAK /CLE...

c'mon man...they dont score alot of points...

here comes the downward spiral...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    13-3. Book it.
  • Options
    Geez I blink for one second (sorry two weeks) and the Chefs already been cooked twice in a row! And now my lovely wife's Patriots are just a half game off from a top seed...maybe we'll get our third Super Bowl party (since we married in 2005) after all! image And who knows? This time maybe they'll finish the job...oh wait, there is that little matter of the 10-1 Seahawks... image
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    The mirage is over and reality has finally set in. The vaunted D can no longer stop anyone but at least we know that Alex Smith can in fact throw the ball down field. 5th seed in the playoffs, opening up on the road after a 9-0 start? As I said a few weeks ago, one and done. Book it.

• Options
    Did not see the KC - Denver game today. Denver managed to win in Kansas City, which it has had difficulty doing over the years.

Maybe the two teams will meet up again in the playoffs.