Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Member to the site - I collect Steve Garvey items

I scanned through some old posts with the search function. Not surprising, Garvey didn't get much love here. However, I am an advanced Garvey collector and am always interested in the newest items hitting the streets from the various card makers (within reason - I no longer always feel like doling out $100s on the newest cards numbered to 10 or less) and anything older and unique. I collect just about anything, including photos, cards, coins, pins, buttons, glasses, posters, etc.

My current top wants are:

1980 Topps Coin Test Issue
1980 Long Beach Press Telegram (with Rod Carew)
2002 Donruss Team Heroes Beckett GOLD Sample card (Not sure this even exists, but supposedly there were silver AND gold samples inserted into Beckett price guides at the time)
2004 UD Legends Timeless Teams 1980 #183 Bronze parallel (#'d/50)
2005 Playoff Prestige AL Wild Card Redemption
2005 Playoff Prestige NL Champ Redemption

Some of you may have run across me on ebay, The Bench or happened upon my first and not often updated attempt at a blog (link below). My ID is usually the same if it is available, mrmopar.

http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com

My other passion currently is signed cards. I prefer vintage, any sport, and they do not have to be certified if I trust the seller or the signature enough. Lastly, I collect Dodger stuff, although that is much too broad of a topic to maintain within a limited budget. Most of my stuff was obtained either prior to the internet or in my first 10 years on ebay or so. I will dabble in Dodger oddities occasionally, usually when they come across a Garvey search, but now it's mainly a focus on Garvey and signed cards.
I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

Comments

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Well welcome to the boards. I know there are several big Dodger collectors here, so you should be able to find some of those items on your want list. I have lots of food products from the 80's. I know several issues had Garvey in their sets. Good luck.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! Ive always liked Steve Garvey even though he was a Yankees nemesis in the late 70s and early 80s image

In fact, I send to get a few cards signed by Mr Garvey about every 3 months or so. He is great TTM at only 5.00 a card. Maybe soon I will get a photo for him to sign.

Little fact about Garvey and his signing habits....he does not sign his 1982 Fleer card. But a friend who sees him every now and then said that he will do an auction in the near future of a 1982 Fleer signed. I dont know if it will only be one, 5, or 100 signed.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    This may be the toughest Topps Garvey item--1980 test coin

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I don't collect him myself, but as a fellow Chamberlain Chief I will always be a fan.
    Good luck with the collection
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I don't collect him myself, but as a fellow Chamberlain Chief I will always be a fan. Good luck with the collection >>

Nice Tampa reference. Talk about a hot bed for star baseball players.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hello, and welcome!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. I don't collect Garvey but he is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. image
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    welcome

I remember Garvey as a great just below HOF standards player.

I am sure rthere are many other Dodger collectors out there.

About 30 do the Garvey sets.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was growing up in the 1970's, Garvey was always my favorite NL player....The only thing I can add is a home made cachet I had personally done as Cal was moving "up the ladder" in consecutive games played. After I added my own cheesey copy, I had it signed by both Cal & Garvey:

[URL=http://s88.photobucket.com/user/whhp72/media/Misc Ripken/8ad1df60-76c1-4b5f-935c-742502ae8d3f_zpsf6e8946f.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Welcome to the board!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Curt - Welcome! I'm glad you made it over here. I'm sure you will enjoy it. This board has some great members with a wealth of knowledge. You'll fit right in with your long history in the hobby!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    wronglegwrongleg Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Welcome to the boards! Is there any story or reason behind him not signing the 1982 Fleer card?
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember hearing that he signed one of those for some charity and didn't sign anymore after that. I always thought it was his 1983F card.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>I seem to remember hearing that he signed one of those for some charity and didn't sign anymore after that. I always thought it was his 1983F card. >>

I dont know about the 83 but I know for sure 82. Believe me, I have tried 3 times and he wont sign it LOL I have never tried to get an 83 Fleer signed.
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey gang...I love Garvey and have since I was a kid. in 1981 he gave me his bat that he cracked during BP. A year later, I had him sign it at the NY National Convention. Even back them he could not personalize it to me, but I have saved it to this day. I assume it is only worth $200 or so, but worth much more to me in memories.

Steve
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards. Not a big Garvey fan, but at least he went to Michigan State!! image
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mrmopar, nice to see you over here! We have done a few ebay deals over the year, will be nice to hear more about your collection and see all the great Garvey stuff you have acquired!

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Any Garvey fans need this 1987 Topps Vault original color negative? PM me if you might. The color photo is how it would look if developed or scanned.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards! Great Garvey items everyone. I have a game worn 1983 Padres home jersey of his - his first year with the team - and a game used bat from 1984. The 1983 jersey was originally spelled "Gravey" on the back. Inside the jersey you can see where they had to restitch those two letters. Pretty funny. I have a few color photos of him hitting "the home run" and a couple related wire photos.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Curt

Welcome.

What was the motive behind picking Garvey?

I thought he was one hell of a good player in the majors.

I transferred back to Chamberlain HS in '65 but could not make the varsity team. It was loaded with good players. I met Steve and went out a few times with him along with a close friend I made who was friends with him since grade school. I found him to be quiet and polite. I remember he went to Mich. State and I got drafted.

I do collect Brooklyn stuff - though it's not a main focus or anything.

I look forward to your posts on the Dodgers and Garvey. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice to see you post, Mike.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I need to get used to this site. It's a bit different from what I am used to. i had some messages and as soon as I read them, they disappeared and now I don't know where they went. also, can i change my password from the generic one I was sent? maybe a little more time on the site would answer those questions myself, but so far it has been slow sailing, navigating through the site.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'll try to answer the questions i caught from the posts:

i chose Garvey after a friend moved into my neighborhood from So Cal in 1978. His favorite player was Steve Garvey and admittedly, i just copied him. I was not yet inot baseball and cards, but he introduced me to both and i started buying packs that year and have never looked back.

As for the Garvey test coin, yes that is a toughie. I've seen one for sale twice. once on ebay, maybe 5-10 years ago in a lot of 3-4 coins. I want to say the lot went for a couple hundred or less. I emailed the buyer after he won to see if he would sell a Garvey as there may have been a couple in the lot, but felt the price was not right (relative to what he paid for the entire lot) passed and have kicked my own butt frequently ever since. I saw the guy selling the presentation board a year or so ago, but his price never got below $5k, down from an initial offering of $20K. I'm guessing I won't find one that I would be able to afford, but one can hope.

Regarding the 82 Fleer auto, I have never seen a reason why, only that he refuses to sign it. i saw this on an autograph collector site. I have 2 of them. I bought both. One looks spot on, the other may be somewhat questionable. Aside from that, i have just about every other mainstream card signed by him. I have only seen a couple of the 82 Fleer and maybe they are all fake. Who knows? I'd love to know. It's a terrible photo, so maybe that is why?

Lastly, thanks for sharing the neat Garvey items. I can't hang with the big dogs on the unopened material, although I do have a number of the cello and rack from 78-87. Once you get older than 78, they really tend to be pricy and well outside my comfort level for pricing. I look forward to browsing the site, participating in conversations and maybe making a few trades as well.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Welcome. I'm also a Garvey collector (he was my favorite player as a kid).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if you are in LA or not; but this mom and pop card shop is off the 101 in the west valley. They always have oddball Dodger items, sometimes one of a kind. Might be worth it to give them a call.

Link

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    Garvey still is a local favor here in LA
  • Options
    Welcome to the board! Lots of knowledge here.
    Garveys been my favorite since imwas a kid. Some of my first game used stuff ever was his....a dodgers jersey and a bat. Both used and signed.

Also, can anyone clarify why he won't sign that particular card?

And again welcome!!
    Rob
  • Options
    jaderockjaderock Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION
  • Options
    jaderockjaderock Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Curt,

Glad your here, I drop by once in a while as well. Hope you find somes needs.

jaderock
    Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I've been a Garvey fan ever since I read about him in a book called Skinnybones as a kid. A couple of years ago, I sent two of his 71 Topps to him and he signed and returned them in a flash.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    From what I understand, he wont give any kind of direct answer why. There were a few....VERY few that he signed early on. I think one sold on ebay for over 500.00.

There is one on ebay that someone got Garvey to sign a clear sticker and put it on the card. It sold for almost 90 bucks LOL
  • Options
    I saw the sticker one show up. it sold then? i didn't watch it, figuring that nobody would pay that much for something like that. Proves me wrong yet again.

• Options
    Welcome! I've learned a lot here in a short period of time.
  • Options
    Welcome to the board! Turn your Private Msgs on...I can msg you some pics of Garvey stuff I have for sale/trade. TY
  • Options
    I have received messages from people, but I'll see if I can figure out if I have a weird setting on for that...
  • Options
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Welcome to the board. Did you ever read "Temporary Insanity" by Jay Johnstone? I have not read since high school but remember it being really funny. Great stories about how Johnstone and Jerry Reuss would prank on Garvey, Cey, and Lasorda. Definitely worth a read.
  • Options

I am looking for the 2005 Studio Portraits white-black & white version of this Garvey card.(like this one except it has a black & white portrait). I have several of his cards (from this set) as trade. Thanks

• Options

You may have asked before. Are you looking for the Studio Portraits brand ad back? So essentially, Studio Portraits back, grey border, B&W image? I assume you are familiar with the variety of back brands used?

I'd have to check and see if I have a dupe of that particular one.