Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Anyone know why eBay bans the sale of coins/currency of Cuba, but not North Korea?

I can't find any rational logic for this position.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuba as a keyword is much more determinate than N. Korea vs. S. Korea etc. The whole embargo on Cuba is the best thing that the Castro boys have had - kept them in power for 54 years now. Their biggest nightmare would be a lifting of the embargo and hordes of Americans traipsing on their shores yacking on cellphones, etc that ordinary Cubans cannot have.

eBay being the government's totey is a big joke too.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could understand a ban of Cuban issues dated after Castro took power, but WTF point does banning external trade of pre-Castro Republic coinage/currency make ?

Guilt by geographical association? image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same for coins from Iran... they're all banned on eBay. But they still will allow them to be listed if you use the word medal in the listing instead of coin... makes zero sense.

<< <i>I could understand a ban of Cuban issues dated after Castro took power, but WTF point does banning external trade of pre-Castro Republic coinage/currency make ?

Guilt by geographical association? image >>

More like a stupid policy that drives such transactions somewhere else. Frankly if you want to sell Cuban coins - have you tried listing it on eBay.ca and just making it available worldwide? Obviously I haven't tried that myself - but seriously there are holes like that in eBay.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a stack of coins at home and at work that I cannot sell on ebay for embargo purposes. I believe there is 6-8 countries on the list, most of which I never get coins from.
    I collect early Cuban banknotes, ie during the Spanish era myself - however I have never bought one on eBay - found on Stacks, Lyn Knight, Heritage etc. I would like to get into the early republic coins - especially the 1916 designs - but may have to resort to those other auction venues.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's because there isn't large enough of a population of North Korean ex-pats in the US to have lobbiests.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Shiroh, we miss these comments over at the Darkside. Where have you been hiding? image

Strongly, strongly recommended for movie fans such as myself: 7 days in Havana.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3