Home Precious Metals

Any info on this 2009 Chinese colorized silver set?

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    No, but I'm going to say it's worth more significantly more than Spot image So if you get any offers for it at Spot, and you will here because some think silver is just silver and colorized silver is worth even less than silver......don't take it!!!
    Probably didn't need to be said, but consider it a public service announcement image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They appear to be colorized replica? versions of the official 1 oz coins or perhaps privately minted bullion versions. Caveat Emptor for anyone buying this set.

Official 60th anniv coins issued
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    This set depicted the leaders of China beginning with the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949 with this set commemorating the 60th anniversary. The men depicted on the observe are (starting 3 o'clock and going clockwise):
    o Li Peng (premier in 2009 and with unidentified background),
    o Jiang Zemin (president and with Shanghai skyline in background),
    o Deng Xiaoping (former strongman and successor to Mao with Beijing skyline in background?), and
    o Mao Tse-Tung (founder and with Great Wall in the background).

The top medal on the left shows the Temple of Heaven in the Forbidden City in Beijing. The medal on the top right would show the soldiers of the People's Liberation Army and would guess the background might be Tian Amen square. The silver bar in the middle shows Mao proclaiming the People's Republic of China in 1949 in Tian Amen Square in Beijing.

I couldn't find any information on this set. I didn't see any letters from the Shanghai Mint, so this might be privately made. This appears to be a silver medal set with no monetary denominations but 1 oz silver on the observe. Interesting set and fiqures.

Additional: I compared this set to a set of 2008 Beijing Olympics Silver Medal Set that I own. The motifs and colorization schemes are similar. My set was made by the China Gold Coin Inc. which appears to be the official mint company for the Chinese Government. It has many subsidiaries, according to the internet. Unfortunately, there is no catalog of products and I have been unable to find my own set in any catalog. My guess, which is fact-free and sheer speculation, is that this is one of many bullion products made.

Additional: More information on scenes depicted on the medals and bar.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I haven't seen it in hand yet, but it does appear to be made of pure silver at least.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. I haven't seen it in hand yet, but it does appear to be made of pure silver at least. >>

Never a sure thing on anything coming out of China.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks guys. I haven't seen it in hand yet, but it does appear to be made of pure silver at least. >>

Never a sure thing on anything coming out of China. >>

Agree with this 100% no matter what is stamped on them!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    For sure, that is why I am doing my due diligence by drawing upon the knowledge of other members on this board before considering a purchase.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my memory serves me correctly, similar fake silver plated replica coins & bars, hit the street for the Beijing Olympics. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."