Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is It Better to Publish Pictures of Stolen Coins or Not?

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
On the one hand, if you publish the pictures you can get more people looking for the stolen coins.

On the other hand, if someone owns one of the stolen coins and sees a picture, they may be more likely to conceal their ownership.

Comments

• Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that most coins that are stolen are done so by people that are not coin collectors.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the one hand, if you publish the pictures you can get more people looking for the stolen coins.

On the other hand, if someone owns one of the stolen coins and sees a picture, they may be more likely to conceal their ownership. >>

It would be better to give back those items to the rightful owner. A bit altruistic, but hey image
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say you publish the pics since it is more likely that the new owner is ignorant of the coin(s) being stolen. I also believe that they will do the right thing and report it accordingly.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the pictures should be published....increases the odds tremendously of the coins being found and returned. Cheers, RickO
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I say you publish the pics since it is more likely that the new owner is ignorant of the coin(s) being stolen. I also believe that they will do the right thing and report it accordingly. >>

This,

and when they show up on ebay it could be easier to catch the criminal. If no one sees them, then how can we recognize them when they show up?

Bob
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the one hand, if you publish the pictures you can get more people looking for the stolen coins.

On the other hand, if someone owns one of the stolen coins and sees a picture, they may be more likely to conceal their ownership. >>

I wonder how many here would voluntarily surrender possession of a $10K stolen coin if nobody knew they had it and there was NO likelihood of getting ANY of your purchase price back.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say photos should be posted.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say photos should be posted. >>

I agree. I am a glass half full kind of person. Put the information out there and expect people to do the right thing.

Bajjerfan has the right question tho. What do you do if, through no fault of your own, a very expensive stolen coin happens to be in your collection & there is no chance of compensation?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file