Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great Collections auctions better than Ebay?

2»

Comments

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    GC is a nice auction site but they just don't have the audience that Ebay has built up through the years.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't like paying a buyers fee
    Agreed, can't stand that.

From a selling point of view, remove the $3 fee to list the item too. GC is making more than enough in site advertising to make up for this.

By they way, what's your cut for getting this thread started to drum up business for GC? image What? You didn't it purely for the discussion? Sure you did. lol >>

Site advertising? We don't make any money in site advertising - are you confusing us with another firm?

Our goal is to maintain the lowest fees in the business. Yes, we do have nominal listing fees. I have to add, for coins under $100, where the $3 fee is applicable, we don't make money on these coins. It's why many auction houses (in coins and other industries) don't accept low value coins. We offer these coins as a service to the bidder and consignor.

Interesting feedback and thank you for the support. For the image sizes, which a couple of board members would like increased for dimes and pennies, we're currently testing this.

- Ian >>

Ian, I would love to hear your thoughts on toned coins and imaging them for sale. As I mentioned above, I would love to try selling on GC, but some of the coins I would send have prices that would be very dependent on a bidder seeing/liking the toning (in-hand type of view) instead of guessing at what it would look like and only bidding by what's on the slab label.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>keyman64:

I doubt GC would ban you. They might direct your email to their junk folder, however ...

image >>

I could totally see that happening! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Great Collections Bust Series offerings in PCGS holders has been minimal every time I check. Currently they offer no Capped Bust Quarters in PCGS holders. >>

That would be a function of their consignors. Either nobody wants to sell their coins or if they do they are preferring other venues. I feel the selection of early circulated Walkers in PCGS slabs is equally skimpy.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to avoid confusion, attached is a screenshot with arrows showing where the images will enlarge to 1300 across. Note: we have just started uploading images at 1500 across and will endeavor to increase the size even more for those looking for dime/penny varieties.

- Ian

Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it sounds like the images will still be smaller than Teletrade, Heritage, LegendMorphy, Stacks, quality eBay sellers, quality BST sellers etc. I commend you on your progress but have high hopes that you will advance quickly in passing many competitors. Best of luck! I look forward to bidding at GC soon. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't like paying a buyers fee
    Agreed, can't stand that.

From a selling point of view, remove the $3 fee to list the item too. GC is making more than enough in site advertising to make up for this.

By they way, what's your cut for getting this thread started to drum up business for GC? image What? You didn't it purely for the discussion? Sure you did. lol >>

Site advertising? We don't make any money in site advertising - are you confusing us with another firm?

Our goal is to maintain the lowest fees in the business. Yes, we do have nominal listing fees. I have to add, for coins under $100, where the $3 fee is applicable, we don't make money on these coins. It's why many auction houses (in coins and other industries) don't accept low value coins. We offer these coins as a service to the bidder and consignor.

Interesting feedback and thank you for the support. For the image sizes, which a couple of board members would like increased for dimes and pennies, we're currently testing this.

- Ian >>

Ian, I would love to hear your thoughts on toned coins and imaging them for sale. As I mentioned above, I would love to try selling on GC, but some of the coins I would send have prices that would be very dependent on a bidder seeing/liking the toning (in-hand type of view) instead of guessing at what it would look like and only bidding by what's on the slab label. >>

We sell a lot of toned coins and I see this area increasing for us in the future.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, while I agree that its not as easy as a mouse over I found the enlarge function the very first time I visited the site. image The only issue with GC is that thay still dont have the amount of traffic as some other venues, I hope that will change as time moves on.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First and foremost is GC's customer service.
    Second to none and what sets them apart. imho

Email, they reply. Call, they answer the phone.
    I win and pay on Sunday and 95% of the time it's across the coast and in the PO box Thursday am.

Looks to me like they add bells and whistles in small increments all while always trying to keep everyone's costs at a minimum.

Back to the original question. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

I hate a mouse moving over a picture to enlarge it. If I move the mouse too fast the enlarged
    pictures slips back to a small one and you have to find the box again and then most times you
    have a small limited amount of space to view the coin in. All the auction web sites except eBay
    have a uniform version picture of each coin rather than like eBay where you have to rely on the
    seller's pictures and gosh we all know how many versions they can come up with. To me GC has
    the best pictures around except for some eBay sellers that go to great lengths to accomplish the
    same quality as GC.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

You make nothing on advertising on your site? May I ask why not? If it's too proprietary to answer, I understand. Also, I'd like to apologize for what could've been taken as an mildly sarcastic comment this morning. I wish anyone welll who is doing a fair business that truly wants to grow the hobby, and of course, make a few bucks along the way.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

I was wondering about your comment about site advertising since I do not remember seeing many
    if any pop ups or banners on there while looking around. Now the Bay is a real different
    story and in the past year or so they have gone over board with ads. While thinking about
    it I don't think any other auction sites have advertising on their pages.

• Options

<< <i>Site advertising? We don't make any money in site advertising - are you confusing us with another firm?

You make nothing on advertising on your site? May I ask why not? If it's too proprietary to answer, I understand. Also, I'd like to apologize for what could've been taken as an mildly sarcastic comment this morning. I wish anyone welll who is doing a fair business that truly wants to grow the hobby, and of course, make a few bucks along the way. >>

Absolutely we *could* sell advertising, but that is not our business.. Our business is auctioning coins. And we don't want to distract our bidders with third party sites that offer different levels of service and something we can't stand behind. I find it amazing when I go to eBay that on the very same page as a listing there are multiple ads in competition.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For the coins that I collect (bust and seated dimes) I feel like at any given time greater than 50% of the coins are in 'details' holders. I think eBay is MUCH better. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file