Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great Collections auctions better than Ebay?

bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
Looks like GC is offering better quality coins than ebay.. had A chance to win some coins priced better than bid ..... still lost
Many more PCGS coins on Great Collections

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are growing every week it seems. From a buying and selling perspective I prefer them highly over Ebay.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how do the 2 even get compared?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't like paying a buyers fee
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    prefer ebay by far
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there should be a lower buyer's fee on high dollar items.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>there should be a lower buyer's fee on high dollar items. >>

What other auction companies charge lower on high dollar items?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Great Collections Sellers fee is 5% up to $999.99 & zero at $1,000 and above.

Great collections charges $3 listing fee also.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay just has way more to look thru.......GC never has anything I need.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    For the time being, eBay works for me. However, when my proof collection gets into the mid 60's and before, I might head over there as those don't show up very often on eBay.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    A 1995 W Silver Eagle PCGS PF 70 DCAM sold for $ 55,000+ with juice on Sunday
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like G.C. eBay's best days are long gone IMHO.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that makes eBay BETTER is this: THEIR PHOTO SIZES!
    If you find a good seller on eBay that posts good photos, they have the opportunity to be much better than GC in this realm.

This is my only complaint about GC. I would love to buy things from them but cannot as they make it impossible for me. Read from the link above that got very little notice.
    I have sold one thing through them and I had a great experience. I only wish to be given the opportunity to buy from them.

From the thread I linked to above, I demonstrate a clear way for GC to differenciate themselves even more from other auction houses. They need larger quality photos. Simple.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One thing that makes eBay BETTER is this: [L=THEIR PHOTO SIZES!] >>

I agree.
    When their pictures improve I'll probably start visiting their site.
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭
    For the coins that I collect (bust and seated dimes) I feel like at any given time greater than 50% of the coins are in 'details' holders. I think eBay is MUCH better.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped selling on ebay a couple of years ago....fees were part of it, but I just got too busy with life to be bothered with the details.
    Would love to sell on GC, but some of what I would sell are toned coins and I have, so far, not been impressed by their photos of toned coins.

On the buying side, I just haven't seen much f what I am looking for (EAC, toned IHC proofs, toned Roosevelts we need, etc).

Again, I would love to through some business their way, on both sides of the deal, but I am just a collector and not a dealer, so what I have needs for is a bit selective as I don't have people I am selling to.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

I do not think you can compare GC or any other coin auction site to eBay. When you buy coins off the internet
    you need to look at all the venues that are available to you. For a collector to say, I will not buy from this site
    or that site then they are not using all the tools they have at their disposal. A buyer wants selection, good prices,
    best pictures available, lowest if even no buyer's fee and a number of other things. Where a seller wants lots of
    lookers, low insertion and selling fees, fast listing of their auctions and quick payment from buyer or auction
    site plus the least hassle of shipping and contact with potential buyers.

It is a real chore to find all these things in one place so that is why there are so many ways to buy and sell coins
    with the age of internet sales. I like Great Collections to sell and buy but I do not limit myself to one site or try to
    compare different sites to one another nor do I think it can or should be done. Neither can or should it be said that
    one site rules and has got it all because they don't.

I wish one of the search engine people would come up with a say Google Coin or Bing Coin or Joe's Coin search engine
    devoted totally to finding what a coin or currency collector types into the box to search for. Heck it would be nice that if
    the auctions site had better search features to find coins. Dad burn eBay changes theirs every week and I really hate that.
    We have so much out there to use we need to use it and find what we want. Isn't the hunt at least have the enjoyment
    of collecting?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiny: You had a ton of coins for sale on GC. How did they do?
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread in BST still has me chuckling. HERE:

The coin ended up selling for $996. I know it was not meant to be, but it sure turned out as an endorsement for eBay!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to selling pcgs, ngc, & anacs graded coins... GC is by far the best venue. I always had great success with the outcome. Most of what I list will sell at my reserve , if not, more. If the item does not sell, then it gets relisted for FREE till it sells. They have the lowest out of pocket fees when you compare to ebay, & you don't have to spend time with pics, listings, or the trouble shipping the items, or worrying if the buyer will receive the coins. image
  • Options

Bryan, I have like anywhere from 100 to 200 coins listed with Ian at GC and some weeks are better
    than others. I like having them with GC for many reasons but mostly it is kind of like having a store
    where collectors can look over my coins plus hundreds more. I list coins on eBay and you would think
    that there would be more lookers there but honestly I have had more hits on the same or same type
    coin on Great Collections, go figure. Ian is making his site a name in the coin auction business and I
    send him a couple a hundred coins every few months and it's like money in the bank with a check
    coming from him every couple of weeks and not waiting 30 days. He built Teletrade to where it was
    and look at them now since he's gone and watch GC as it will continue to grow.

• Options

<< <i>This thread in BST still has me chuckling. HERE:

The coin ended up selling for $996. I know it was not meant to be, but it sure turned out as an endorsement for eBay! >>

looks like the picture cut the interest .. I looked at the coin but the photo was a turn off
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>there should be a lower buyer's fee on high dollar items. >>

What other auction companies charge lower on high dollar items? >>

Ebay. 6% seller fee with an ebay store, another 20% less for a top rated seller. And yes, with BIN listings a savy seller has the buyer paying the fee.

GC has no more overhead on a $3000 coin than it does on a $500 coin yet collects a ton more in fees on the $3000 coin. To buy that $3000 coin at GC a buyer has to shell out $3300. To compensate, a GC seller has to start his auction price below market value and risks closing for less than market value.

I also don't like the idea of a consignor not being able to do a buy it now on GC, or having to compete with GC's in-house buy it now listings that can be purchased for a lower total price without the buyer having to pay a premium.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Don't like paying a buyers fee
    Agreed, can't stand that.

From a selling point of view, remove the $3 fee to list the item too. GC is making more than enough in site advertising to make up for this.

By they way, what's your cut for getting this thread started to drum up business for GC? image What? You didn't it purely for the discussion? Sure you did. lol
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>A 1995 W Silver Eagle PCGS PF 70 DCAM sold for $ 55,000+ with juice on Sunday >>

It sold for $55k with the juice on Sunday...a far cry from the $80k+ they previously sold one. To me, it looks like the consignor didn't do so well on that purchase.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't like paying a buyers fee

From a selling point of view, remove the $3 fee to list the item too. GC is making more than enough in site advertising to make up for this.

By they way, what's your cut for getting this thread started to drum up business for GC? image What? You didn't it purely for the discussion? Sure you did. lol >>

Site advertising? We don't make any money in site advertising - are you confusing us with another firm?

Our goal is to maintain the lowest fees in the business. Yes, we do have nominal listing fees. I have to add, for coins under $100, where the $3 fee is applicable, we don't make money on these coins. It's why many auction houses (in coins and other industries) don't accept low value coins. We offer these coins as a service to the bidder and consignor.

Interesting feedback and thank you for the support. For the image sizes, which a couple of board members would like increased for dimes and pennies, we're currently testing this.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Excellent in all aspectsimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I would like to see GC include population information. Seems this would benefit both the seller and the hammer.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting feedback and thank you for the support. For the image sizes, which a couple of board members would like increased for dimes and pennies, we're currently testing this.

- Ian >>

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, Ian's willingness to hear and respond to feedback is a point in his favor. image

JH
  • Options

<< <i>Don't like paying a buyers fee

By they way, what's your cut for getting this thread started to drum up business for GC? image What? You didn't it purely for the discussion? Sure you did. lol >>

I have no connection to GC.... GC is a liquid buying site with quality coins . I and my coin club members will move from buying on he bay to 1st looking at Great Collecions . Ebay has less pricey coins than in the past. After spending mid 5 figures a year on the bay coins .. they no longer have the selling depth
    As for buyer fee who here is a buyer of Heritage auctions where you pay 18 % buyer juice ? What are ebay seller's fees ?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A 1995 W Silver Eagle PCGS PF 70 DCAM sold for $ 55,000+ with juice on Sunday >>

It sold for $55k with the juice on Sunday...a far cry from the $80k+ they previously sold one. To me, it looks like the consignor didn't do so well on that purchase. >>

There were a bunch more made AFTER that $80K+ sale so it's unrealistic to expect that similar coins would sell for $80K or so.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The images, while nice, are not of the quality I want. For $60k a year (including benefits) or so, you could probably hire a photographer to image incoming shipments of coins in a standard quick shoot method. Once I have my laptop plugged in and my lights where I want them, it really takes me about 3 minutes to shoot and crop a coin. There are 440 minutes in an 8hr shift... times 5 days a week is 2200 minutes. That's enough time to shoot 733 coins a week. Let's say you alter the setup from time to time and take your time with some coins and drop that to 650 a week. With 3 weeks PTO a year, you get 650*49... 31,850 images a year. That's $1.88 per coin to be imaged. I think a $2-$2.50 fee per coin for high quality imaging would be acceptable to most consignors. >>

I see no reason why this much attention should be lavished on common ms64 Morgans. Once the coin exceeds a certain $$ value [say $400] I could see better pix being a must.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There pics are like holding the slab at arms length. No way to "mouse over" like Ebay. Really puts a damper
    in Cherrypicking nice coins.

That's my only rib. And I threw this out over a year ago to GC and nothing has changed. Perhaps it is too
    difficult to do, I don't know.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I here there is a web site where the auctions have No seller's or buyer's fees. The seller posts the
    best picture he can and I'm sure they will post one that is just like what they would like to have
    when trying to cherry pick or see flaws in the coin weather it is $5. or $5000. The buyer will receive
    payment in any form they wish ie: check, cash, MO, PP or trade and also will ship their sales themselves
    via any way they want. There are over 37,000 registered member available to sell to and all are collectors
    of some kind. Sounds like a real good selling platform doesn't it. Here is the link:

: > )

• Options
    Are people blowing up the large images? I dont see how people think these are small:

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The Great Collections Bust Series offerings in PCGS holders has been minimal every time I check. Currently they offer no Capped Bust Quarters in PCGS holders.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    I have no idea how you did that Todd. I just went to the site and tried to enlarge and only get a slightly
    larger image than the basic one. Nothing like what you posted.

bob
  • Options

<< <i>I have no idea how you did that Todd. I just went to the site and tried to enlarge and only get a slightly
    larger image than the basic one. Nothing like what you posted.

bob >>

Click the bottom right corner
  • Options

<< <i>Are people blowing up the large images? I dont see how people think these are small:
    >>

Yes! When looking at coins the size of a dinner plate, everything is fine...but when you look at coins the size of a cent, dime, half dime, gold dollar etc....the size of the slab stays the same for all of the coins and you really can't see anything.
    I don't think you have seen this thread yet.
  • Options
    I did that and get an image about 1/3 the size that you are showing.

I don't use a Mac

bob
  • Options
    A 10x mouse over would be much better. And easier if it is automatic like Ebay.

bobimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Are people blowing up the large images? I dont see how people think these are small:
    >>

Yes! When looking at coins the size of a dinner plate, everything is fine...but when you look at coins the size of a cent, dime, half dime, gold dollar etc....the size of the slab stays the same for all of the coins and you really can't see anything.
    I don't think you have seen this thread yet. >>

I have seen that thread. If you have an item you need a bigger image have you emailed them? I am sure they will send you an even larger image.
  • Options

<< <i>I did that and get an image about 1/3 the size that you are showing.

I don't use a Mac

bob >>

I click the image to enlarge, then I click the bottom right corner where there are the 4 arrows. Get me the image I linked in this thread.
  • Options
    Four arrows? Hmmmmmmmm, I don't see them. Will hunt around for them.

bobimage

Actually I found them and that is so not friendly, unless you know the trick. How many people mouse
    around the image after they click on the enlarge button? Lame

Just do a mouse over, don't reinvent the wheel. It's already being done on the worlds largest auction site.

bob
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I don't think you have seen this thread yet. >>

I have seen that thread. If you have an item you need a bigger image have you emailed them? I am sure they will send you an even larger image. >>

There are 30 varieties that PCGS blesses for the Mercury Dime Series. I would be emailing them every week asking them for larger photos for many coins...not to mention the varieties that PCGS does not currently bless. GC would probably ban me with that many requests every week. imageimage
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keyman64:

I doubt GC would ban you. They might direct your email to their junk folder, however ...

Mark

• Options
    Oh and while you are in a teaching mode tell me how to exit back to my search. For instance when searching
    "cc" I get 171 listings. If I scroll down to say an 1878 cc dollar and click and view when I hit the back button
    it takes me back to the beginning of the search function, not the place I left off. So, I'm always starting over
    even though I just want to view the next coin.

Help.

bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file