Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kudos to an Ebay seller That sold me some Counterfeits

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently bought a lot of Barber Halves from an ebay seller. He had little history of selling coins and terrible pictures. I figured the coins were bad but thought they were worth a look! He had a 14 day return so no worries other than the money for a few weeks. How the auction lasted the full length...even until the seller shipped me the coins before ebay cancelled it was beyond me!

The seller contacted me via email immediately after ebay cancelled the listing...LOL after I had paid and the coins were shipped! He informed me that ebay had a team of observers and they had determined the coins were replicas.

I sent him this email after I received the coins:

I appreciate your contacting me and letting me know in advance. I never received a message from ebay!

I received the coins today. They are all without a doubt Chinese Counterfeits. I would love to own these coins so I can teach others about them. There are actually Chinese websites where you can purchase just about any coin you want. I refuse to purchase any even as a teaching tool because it needs to be stopped! I travel the country doing coin shows and would love to be able to show others to make them aware. You can check out my reputation under my selling account ********* on ebay. I am also good friends with *************** if you would like a local reference.
I know it is not much of a consulation for you as they are worth very little. What would you sell them for? If they had been genuine and uncleaned they would be worth $1000 or more....cleaned around $5-600

He Responded with this:

That's interesting--but now I question my own collection. Without grinding the edge down in order to acid test. How can I rest assured authenticity? How can the Chinese sell replica coins? I going to educate myself further and reevaluate my purchases. Think I will stick to buying thru Ampex--there very fair with the markup--- When ebay removed the listing--it basically disappeared--I contacted you thru this email. Keep the coins --spread the word. I will issue a full refund now.

My Reply:

Thank You and I hope ebay will allow me to leave feedback for you but I doubt it. These coins are actually easy because they are under weight and not silver. Upon close inspection you can see many little bumps and tooling marks. The reeding on the edges are way off also.It is easier once you have looked at coins for many years as I have. In coins the old addage if a deal is too good it usually is bad.

There is actually a bill before congress trying to strengthen the Hobby Protection act. Congress is fully aware of the problem but needs a major kick in the rear to get them to put some teeth in the law. Coin dealers support a law that would make it a crime to sell this crap. Obviously our government is afraid to confront China about this issue. It is actually legal for the Chineese to counterfeit their own coins issued before 1949!

Please feel free to contact me if you have coins you need advise on. I attend the FUN show in Orlando which is in early January. I would love to meet an upstanding person like yourself! My company name is ************

As you can see,there are good sellers out there that have no idea what they are selling is not genuine!

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to you and the seller!

bobimage

Now post the pics!!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Great conversation image
  • Options

<< <i>Kudos to you and the seller!

bobimage

Now post the pics!! >>

I hope to take some pic's soon but need someone to post them! image

PS Wish I had saved the sellers pic's but I'm sure a few here saw the listing!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope to take some pic's soon but need someone to post them! image
    >>

if you don't have the ability to host images, send them to me via oldcollectorcoins@gmail.com

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing transaction.
  • Options
    It's a shame that honesty has become surprising. Glad that seller was honest.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I hope to take some pic's soon but need someone to post them! image
    >>

if you don't have the ability to host images, send them to me via oldcollectorcoins@gmail.com
    . >>

Thanks Lance!

I just took a picture of the 2 better dates and the edges of the coins. please don't think I am a fool! image The sellers pictures were taken with a flash and all you could see were the basic overall details of the coins! I figured they were bad but had to give them a look! The flash was square on the reverse of the 05-O and it was hard to even see the MM!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Getting duped is a sure fire way to kill one's interest in numismatics. You should send the seller a few real pieces just as a thank you and to encourage him to keep collecting.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So eBay has a team of observers, LOL
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is a very interesting case....thanks for sharing. It seems the 'seller' was truly unaware of what he was offering. I hope you can help him to learn more about coins... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Maybe you can take nice photos of a couple of them, "Red Circle" areas that are clear indicators of them being counterfeit and email him the images to help him out....along with equally sized photos of real ones in similar grades.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So eBay has a team of observers, LOL >>

Probably working part time or overtime, since the government shutdown.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG

the team of observers is some of the coin forum members
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Getting duped is a sure fire way to kill one's interest in numismatics. You should send the seller a few real pieces just as a thank you and to encourage him to keep collecting. >>

Call me overly suspicious but the seller may have just back tracked knowing he got caught. Maybe he had scammer's remorse or maybe he figured he could find another collector that is not so good at spotting the fakes. The fact that he uses bad pics makes me suspicious. I would be careful about sending real coins to him. Maybe that is his long con. image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, an honest eBay seller!

Congrats on finding him or her.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

<< <i>
    As you can see,there are good sellers out there that have no idea what they are selling is not genuine! >>

Exactly. Hence my chagrin when people blacklist ebay sellers from just a picture with no other information.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file