Options

Hurry! 1981T BB Wax at BBCE

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Wow, they've doubled in like 2 months
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    "Box contains 36 unopened wax boxes."
    -----

Hey, that's a screaming good deal!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Box contains 36 unopened wax boxes."
    -----

Hey, that's a screaming good deal!!

~ >>

Obviously the original try at the Michigan test packs...
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I bought a $90 box from bbce in April and opened it for fun. What was I thinkingimage
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I bought a $90 box from bbce in April and opened it for fun. What was I thinkingimage >>

WOW ... doubled in price in 5 months!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up. Will rip it once my box arrives so we can all see what this case looks like!

Need some Gem mint Ryans and Fernandos.

About a 20% premium over what I paid BBCE for a box last month. But still worth a rip.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭
    SOLD OUT
    missed again. What time did they list the 1981 baseball wax boxes ? I checked the website this am............damn
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That was fast. I was on and could have called but passed.

Just not into 80's that much and the price was more than I would spend. The from a sealed case was a nice draw though.
    I bet the boxes are really sharp. That's a big plus that almost got me dialing!

aconte
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    there were 3 left at 330...i got one....score!
  • Options

<< <i>SOLD OUT
    missed again. What time did they list the 1981 baseball wax boxes ? I checked the website this am............damn >>

I posted right after I saw them. I would guess they were there sometime between 1015 and 1045, but I have nothing more specific.

<< <i>
    I bought a $90 box from bbce in April and opened it for fun. What was I thinking >>

I bought one a couple years back for around that price to see if I could find any gems. I found snow. Lots and lots of snow. After 12-18 packs my "secondary review" pile had one card in it and I knew it was a stretch even before secondary review.
  • Options
    I would be much more comfortable with a $120-$130 price point for the 81T...

...then again, I remember recently passing on those expensive 1980T BB boxes at $395 because it was a bit too high in my estimation.
  • Options
    they were $180? I am glad I picked them at $90.

I think there is still some floating in a pool somewhere! image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $195 plus shipping for an '81 box from a sealed case and designated as such is a good buy, imo. Sure, you can get them right now at around $150 on ebay (and in most cases, from a more reputable source, around $175 plus shipping), but why bother when you can get one straight from a sealed case for a few dollars more?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The question is, who has the sac to open their 81T? I know most on here are hoarders, but let's see some cards!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I was nervous that they were going to sell out of 84 Topps baseball wax, so I thought I better pull the trigger on a box.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    grabbed a few boxes of 86 topps along with a box of 81s today...the 86 boxes seem to go fast too!
  • Options
    KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    While I'm always pleased to see more and more interest in unopened product drive up demand, I can't drink the Kool Aid on this one. We are talking 81 topps, right? Ay yi yi.

Despite my skepticism, I imagine it may still be a solid buy and hold strategy if that is the intent.
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭

<< <i>While I'm always pleased to see more and more interest in unopened product drive up demand, I can't drink the Kool Aid on this one. We are talking 81 topps, right? Ay yi yi.

Despite my skepticism, I imagine it may still be a solid buy and hold strategy if that is the intent. >>

I love me some 1981 Topps. No HOF rookies but Fernando, Raines, Gibson, Baines RCs and 2nd year Henderson make these appealing boxes for me.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Is 1981 Topps the new 1971 Topps. >>

As a single 71 pack retails for about 1k vs $200 for a case fresh box of 36 1981 Topps, I'd say no, not anytime soon.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    A 71 pack has a chance at a Mays, Clemente or Aaron an 81 not so much....
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Not meaning to disrespect 81 collectors, but isn't it fair to say 1) no valuable rookie cards in the set and 2) maybe the ugliest set since 68 Topps.

Isn't it just following the recent runup in 80's prices without much justification?

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Not meaning to disrespect 81 collectors, but isn't it fair to say 1) no valuable rookie cards in the set and 2) maybe the ugliest set since 68 Topps.

Isn't it just following the recent runup in 80's prices without much justification? >>

Is $195 really that much for a 33-year-old full box of 36 packs straight from a case? Maybe yes, maybe no. To me, it's reasonable, especially as product from this era gets tougher to find, at least in case fresh condition.

I find it remarkable how the unopened market and pricing has captivated so many collectors, even those who don't really collect unopened. Just another example at its broad appeal, if not for actually buying, then for commanding the topic of conversation among collectors

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is 1981 Topps the new 1971 Topps. >>

As a single 71 pack retails for about 1k vs $200 for a case fresh box of 36 1981 Topps, I'd say no, not anytime soon. >>

I paid $1150 for a single PSA 7 1971 Topps wax pack, and was very happy to get it.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>While I'm always pleased to see more and more interest in unopened product drive up demand, I can't drink the Kool Aid on this one. We are talking 81 topps, right? Ay yi yi.

Despite my skepticism, I imagine it may still be a solid buy and hold strategy if that is the intent. >>

I love me some 1981 Topps. No HOF rookies but Fernando, Raines, Gibson, Baines RCs and 2nd year Henderson make these appealing boxes for me. >>

Is it possible raines gets in the hall? 81 baseball is the 80 football. No HUGE rookies like a henderson, but lots of hall of famers.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    In 1981, you have extremely tough Hendersons and Ryans and near-impossible Gibsons and Fernandos. Gem Mint Raines are also nice. What's not to like?
    Nikklos