Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Medals made from cancelled Olympic Dies! - Sales halted by USOC!

There is an article about this in Coin World and I found their ebay auction. I ordered a couple of sets as it sorta fits into my error collection as well as my regular collection.

I think it is an awsome idea and would love to see more of them made from different dies - the gold ones would be neat too!

Ebay Link

Link to cancelled die sale and explanation.
Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a cancelled 1884cc die: Uniface.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably why the US Mint doesn't sell off cancelled dies now.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I love the cancelled CC! I have the money clip, the coppers, and the 2ouncer! Very awesome!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Thanks for showing this, I bought a set.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    I just received my sets today - the pic by the seller is better than mine but I thought I would share anyway.

• Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭
    Nice set.

My canceled die contribution from coneca.

A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting someone to do this. I've thought about it, but I was waiting until 2016 (20th anniversary).
    Since they are US Mint dies, they would fit nicely in my coin press image
    According to published sources, 220 examples of that particular die (1996 Track & Field proof) were sold.
    So they are available.

Many different types of "X"-cancelled 1995-1996 Olympic dies were sold. Sadly, however, none of the UNC-finish (Denver Mint)
    silver dollar dies were sold (all Denver-Mint 1995-1996 Olympic Dollars were struck on my Denver Mint surplus coin press).
    So, of course, I'd want any US Mint dies that were actually used in my coin press (if there had been any available).

But I do have this die, which I plan to use for a certain project in a couple years.
    1996 US Mint X-cancelled $5 Olympic die (UNC finish). Only 19 of this type were sold, so it is one of ther rarer dies.
    What I like about this particular die, in contrast to the other 1995-1996 Olmpic dies, is that it is a generic eagle design
    without any Olympics reference (other than the "189[6] - 1996" banner).

Image mirrored:
  • Options
    Since we are showing cancelled-die strikes image

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cancelled dies are neat. It's too bad the Mint doesn't sell X-cancelled dies anymore.
  • Options
    It looks like the private mint was asked to stop the sale of these medals.

Link

Perhaps the Olympic committee owns the designs? If so, I wonder if all of the Olympic designs are owned by the committee? If some of the designs are owned by the mint would they mind if medals were made???
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like the private mint was asked to stop the sale of these medals.

Link

Perhaps the Olympic committee owns the designs? If so, I wonder if all of the Olympic designs are owned by the committee? If some of the designs are owned by the mint would they mind if medals were made??? >>

I'm surprised that die went for so much - $415.01. How much does it cost to make a die?
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like the private mint was asked to stop the sale of these medals.

Link

Perhaps the Olympic committee owns the designs? If so, I wonder if all of the Olympic designs are owned by the committee? If some of the designs are owned by the mint would they mind if medals were made??? >>

Some of the 1995-1996 Olympic coin designs are copyrighted - others are not. If the design was created by a government employee (paid by tax dollars) then by law it can not be copyrighted.
    The Track & Field design in question is NOT one that is copyrighted, and the Olympic Committee does NOT own the rights to any of the coin designs. But they do own the rights to the Olympic Rings logo. And that is where the problem arose.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Link

I'm surprised that die went for so much - $415.01. How much does it cost to make a die? >>

Huh? That's like asking why do 1794 silver dollars bring so much---how much does it cost to make a silver dollar? These dies are rare and in high demand. These dies show almost all the original design while the later dies sold by the mint have the entire design ground off.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Some of the 1995-1996 Olympic coin designs are copyrighted - others are not. If the design was created by a government employee (paid by tax dollars) then by law it can not be copyrighted. >>

So Dan, this would/might mean that other designs, like the High Jump, could be produced?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Some of the 1995-1996 Olympic coin designs are copyrighted - others are not. If the design was created by a government employee (paid by tax dollars) then by law it can not be copyrighted. >>

So Dan, this would/might mean that other designs, like the High Jump, could be produced? >>

No, unless you want to get a call from the Olympic Committee.
    The High Jump coin also has the Olympic Rings on it.

My 1996 $5 reverse has no direct Olympics reference on it, and it is not a copyrighted design.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Link

I'm surprised that die went for so much - $415.01. How much does it cost to make a die? >>

Huh? That's like asking why do 1794 silver dollars bring so much---how much does it cost to make a silver dollar? These dies are rare and in high demand. These dies show almost all the original design while the later dies sold by the mint have the entire design ground off. >>

To clarify - the die that sold for $415.01 was not the cancelled US Mint die that was used. The $415.01 die was the private mint's die for the other side. They sold the cancelled US Mint die in a different auction and it went for $850.01 (which is a typical price for them).
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have owned this Atlanta Olympic die for a number of years. I was not one of the fortunate guys who bought these directly from the mint at a bargain price.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1964 Peace Dollar die is SWEET!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file