Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got My First GSA Gold Coin Pedigree Tonight Picture Now Posted in my second post

Been looking for one for a little while now and finally won one from Heritage this evening.
A 1898 $5. Liberty graded by NGC MS 61 Not a rare date but labeled with GSA pedigree.
The second gold coin pedigree I own with a 1908 NM Double Eagle PCGS MS 65. This one
puts me at 39 different pedigree hoards or collections with many more to find. I also just
branched out into U.S. Paper Money graded by PCGS.

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thing to collect. Please post a photo when you can.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The GSA gold coins have been discussed in past threads here. They came from government confiscated loot (coins, paintings, jewelry, automobiles, etc) from convicted criminals (tax cheats, drug dealers, etc) and are auctioned off by the GSA since they were bought with the proceeds of their criminal enterprises. Don't confuse these with the GSA silver dollars that were stored by the government since they were minted.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Perry, thanks for that note. I'd never even heard of GSA gold before!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great acquisition.... a picture would be nice when you get time... Cheers, RickO
  • Sorry about that. I really wanted to post one when in hand. These are form HA.com Thank You HA

Thank You Perry I had forgot to mention that. I have seen some of these gold coins restored and slabed
    and all so a $20 gold coin which I just couldn't afford. There's another pedigree out there I am looking for
    that was $10. Indians from a safe deposit box graded and slabed. The stories behind the hoards and
    collections are the best part about collecting them.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, do tell, have not heard of "GSA Gold" before??
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Looks more like a 63 or a 64 from those pix ... When did the GSA sell off gold coins?
    Let's try not to get upset.

• Not sure when they have these sales or rather auctions but I think all different times and form
    the different agencies like the U.S. Marshalls Service, the I R S and probably the Justice Department.
    I know I have seen auctions listed in newspapers and on the internet but never really thought about
    coins being available. I'm thinking that a buyer would take the paperwork from where it was purchased
    from one of these sales and as proof get NGC or who ever to label the slab as so. I think they're neat
    and will be looking for more that I can afford.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiny---That's a very attractive half eagle and looks better than an MS61.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file