Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seems a little fishy........1893-S Morgan

Found this coin for sale on Craigslist. My first concern is the fact that he blurred out the cert #. Second thought, if he's seen them sell on Ebay for so much more than he's asking, why wouldn't he sell this one on Ebay? Seems a little funny to me.

link
http://reno.craigslist.org/clt/4078063716.html
Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Thanks. Not sure how to do the link thing yet.

jeff
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, Craigslist is a great place to buy $6000 coins.image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin has been discussed here and it's a fake. Pure and simple a counterfeit in a fake
    PCGS slab.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right there with you Bob. It's been listed on Ebay a couple of times. This guy is from Reno it appears. How thoughtful, he obscured the cert as to avoid someone from committing fraud using the image, what a guy.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    I figured as much. I sent an email to him through craigslist asking for his phone number. I'd be glad to give that to the proper authorities.

jeff
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.... definitely stay away.... rip off artist at work. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The really messed up part is that for a newbie like me, it's really easy to be taken since I don't know everything to look for. I've seen plenty of coins that are clearly fake (and reported them) but then there are some that just don't look fake to me but they are. I don't know enough yet to know what minute details I can check to see if a coin is fake or not. Therefore at this point, I'm very cautious and will only cut loose with the big bucks on something if I know for sure it's genuine. I found a website that specializes in making fake coins and in the little time I've been collecting, I've noticed a big jump in the, hate to use this term, but "quality" of fakes. Messed up deal all around.

jeff
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posting was deleted by the seller.....hmmmmm

I reported the offering to CL as illegal, I wonder if they acted.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Every day we have a fake 1893-S posted on these boards. Its getting old reading them and realizing how many counterfeits there are out there.image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it got deleted in any case. no great loss on this one by the sounds of it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file