Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Beloved PCGS Old Green Holder (OGH) Passed Approximately 15-Years Ago This Month

TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
I’m not a historian of TPG holders and slab generations, but I have been around the hobby-industry continuously for the last two decades or so and I’ve noticed quite a few changes. One change has been in the acceptance and/or later rejection of various TPGs, the generations of holders used and the standards employed to grade coins (and to determine problem coins) over time. Another change has been the much later creation of a formal, though not universally accepted, process to review grades and determinations on already certified coinage.

Over time, the previously ubiquitous OGH went from the holder du jour at PCGS, to recently phased out, to somewhat appreciated and now to pursued or, with some, near-rabidly hunted. The coins grouped under the OGH umbrella are generally separated from the rattler era, but within the OGH grouping there are at least four distinct subtypes that can be readily distinguished from one another. This is not meant as a holder generation article since Conder101 has already produced a fantastic series of posts on the subject as well as written the most complete reference work within the niche. Rather, this is more of an homage to a retired holder style that brings back fond memories of a time when grading standards were a little different, when what one might expect to find on the bourse would not be the same as today and when the market definitely had a different feel to it.

The rattler holder used until late 1989-

The four distinct OGH slabs used from late 1989 through the fall of 1998 (green label without PCGS on the front, doily label, dot matrix printing style and then the most commonly found OGH with smoother printing font)-

I purchased a raw Columbian half dollar at the Parsippany, NJ show on September 6, 1998 (I keep meticulous records) and submitted the coin shortly thereafter to PCGS for grading. At that time I had never seen one of the new blue insert holders and when I received the coin back from PCGS in mid-October, 1998 I was stunned to notice the dramatic color change and overall layout change for the holder. I brought the coin to the November, 1998 Parsippany, NJ show and walked it around to other dealers only to receive the same reaction from them in that no one had seen this new holder previously. Recall that in late 1998 the internet was not the all encompassing behemoth that it is today and that information about coins was not nearly so well shared. Additionally, ebay was only a tiny fraction of what it is today and I can recall going through all the US coin listings on ebay within a few hours during this time period. Therefore, announcements and images would not be on everyone’s radar.

I had high hopes for that Columbian half dollar because the reverse was just so dang nice. Alas, it only graded MS64 and, even after holding it for fifteen years, I would lose money on the coin if I were to sell it today. Below is an image of the coin-

Over the years it was at first somewhat comical to read descriptions of coins in OGHs as somehow being more desirable or worth more than other coins. It was probably a full three or four years after the change that I realized there was something more to this “fad” than marketing, or at least the marketing had much better staying power than previously anticipated. For those of you who missed the entire OGH era, who were there and wish you still owned more OGH coins or who snicker at the entire slab generation obsession, please feel free to add coins, information or better nail down the date of transition from the venerable OGH to the more modern blue insert holders.
Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I knew it was 1998 when they started the blue label, but not to this level of detail. Cool!

image to the PCGS Blue Label image
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful group of coins in the early PCGS holders. Thanks for posting them Tom!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the history Tom. I have a couple of OGH's... will have to check the vintage... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent review of PCGS slab history. I did not collect stabbed coins during the OGH era, but I have sure made up for it since!image

OGH Collection
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom - great thread. I'd like to add a quote from Coinosaurus from another thread:

<< <i>I predict (you read it here first) - even after all the OGH coins have been cracked and maxed out in new holders, people will still pay more for OGH coins just because they are in "classic" holders, even if everyone acknowledges that there no more undergraded coins in OGH holders.

Collectors needs distinction, and we are getting to the point where even a generic coin like an 1881-S Morgan in 63 or 65, with zero chance to upgrade, will be worth more in an OGH than a "regular" holder. >>

The "collectors needs distinction" is a fair point. There is definitely a certain cache about having a few OGH's in the collection (or a whole registry set like Mr. RYK's).

Have we gotten to the point that OGHs mesmerize too many collectors who don't prize the actual coin over the plastic?
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have we gotten to the point that OGHs mesmerize too many collectors who don't prize the actual coin over the plastic?

Of course, not! The coin has to be worthy, as a starting point. The OGH is the cherry on top. image
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have we gotten to the point that OGHs mesmerize too many collectors who don't prize the actual coin over the plastic?

Of course, not! The coin has to be worthy, as a starting point. The OGH is the cherry on top. image >>

BTW - that question was not directed at you! Amen to your response.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom:

Thanks for the memories and reminder.

Probably the first blue label holder was the OGH with unstable color that could turn either blue or yellow. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Tom. My experience: I have been able to sell off the major condition rarities in my collection in OGH's at big premiums and without the assistance of beans or pluses. I suspect that these old holders with properly graded coins are going to be ever more desirable based on what we are seeing lately.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Cool thread
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have we gotten to the point that OGHs mesmerize too many collectors who don't prize the actual coin over the plastic? >>

Depends on your threshold for "too many". If one collector can be duped into buying a crap sandwich just because it's in an old holder, that's too many.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    The OGH is still my favorite. I won't pay a crazy premium just because the coin is in the OGH holder but I do prefer them.

Mike
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very informative. Thanks.

In addition, there was an actual blue papered OGH that was a transitional piece used at the end of the OGH era for less an week around the time of the Long Beach show in 1998. This is NOT TO BE CONFUSED with the blue or yellow OGH of a couple of generations before that was the non colorfast green colored paper.

This transitional blue papered OGH era are quite rare!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice post Tom , thank you.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool info thanks Tom...

ABimage
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Have we gotten to the point that OGHs mesmerize too many collectors who don't prize the actual coin over the plastic? >>

Got there a long time ago...and not just with OGHs. There are entirely too many collectors (IMO) who treasure numbers on labels regardless of the color of the paper instead of the coin inside the holder.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    In celebration of the OGH, here's one from my Ponderosa Carson City Type Set, all housed in OGHs. The photo is courtesy of BluCC.

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that CC gold....very nice.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom,

I believe the OGH name started when the labels changed from your 3rd to 4th pic. Old vs new green. Now all green labels are called old.

Not in MY heart.

K

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file