Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SHOW REPORT: September 2013 Long Beach... with a few pictures too!!!

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
The September Long Beach Coin Expo is finally over!!! What a long week of coins in Long Beach!

First you have the Goldberg auctions before the show. I went to lot viewing last Saturday and saw many great coins, though their catalog was a bit lighter than typical. Then I attended their auction on Sunday and Monday. I also bid on a few coins in their Tuesday and Wednesday world coin sale. I thought prices were pretty strong at the Goldberg auction for the most part and I was way overbid on most of the coins I was trying to win. I was able to get a few decent deals though so it was worth the effort. I think the Goldbergs do a really good job overall with their auction and I have fun there. It's also great that they deliver coins to dealers on Thursday at Long Beach, even the coins that we won the night before. That is very convenient and great that we can start showing them off/selling them right away... well before they cash our checks!!!! image

Wednesday afternoon was dealer set up at Long Beach. We were there right at noon to start setting up and had the cases full by 1:30 or 2:00 ready for the mad rush of dealers trying to pick the deals before the public came the following day. While we did some dealer to dealer business, traffic was very light. Heritage starting their auction at 1pm... only an hour after dealer set-up had begun, really hurt floor traffic on Wednesday as so many dealers quickly filled and locked their cases and then ran up to Heritage to view lots and bid. It's a shame that the Long Beach show this year was pretty much all about Heritage for some dealers as it really hurt the bourse. It also hurts Heritage because other dealers like myself didn't look at Heritage at all. Sure I missed some great coins, especially on Wednesday, but we spend a lot of money for a table at the show and that is my first priority.

Anyways, here's a couple of shots of our table:

My 1909 Set on display once again

A nice group of some wild Canadian toners as well as our gold drawing tickets and prizes for the Glendale Coin Club

A pretty decent grouping of Doily holdered coins and some neat puzzle coins

On Thursday, I had a chance to walk around a bit and check out some of the exhibits. There were some really neat collectors' exhibits at the show, including Charmy's award-winning display.

I thought this one on Olympic coins was pretty neat too.

And a nicely done display on the Three Cent Nickel.

Of course, I wanted to check out the Ship of Gold too. They've had it at Long Beach before, but it's always neat to see and I think the general public enjoys it too. Here's a few pics from the ship!

Right near the ship was the kids treasure hunt area. No one there yet on Thursday, but on Saturday there is a massive crowd of kids there and all day Saturday there are kids literally running around the bourse very engaged in their treasure hunt!

The show also has a small lounge area set up for dealers to relax and charge their cell phones. Never used it myself as I'm there to meet folks and buy and sell coins, not to take a nap!!!

The ANA also brought an exhibit which was really cool. They had several drawings from Frank Gasparro which were really cool to see:

Of course, they also brought two 1804 Dollars which were in the center of their exhibit. Neat to see two of them, but at their value if I had the means I would choose so many other coins before these image

The Coronet Collection of Morgan Dollars was on display at the PCGS table and it was stunning. Every coin was just amazing and was certainly worth checking out. Sorry I couldn't get better photos but when I was looking there was a small crowd around the display.

Overall, we had a decent show. Could always use more floor traffic and buyers. I already mentioned dealer set up day on Wednesday was pretty light since so many were focused on the Heritage sale. Thursday opening to the public was pretty busy from 10am to around 2pm. Then it died in the afternoon, but picked up from around 5:30 to closing at 7pm as folks got off work and came down to the show. Friday was also busy in the morning but died out around 1pm and never recovered. Saturday was pretty busy with a decent crowed until early afternoon when many dealers start packing up. We stayed until just about the end at 4pm and I even sold a coin as I was packing up my last case which was a nice bonus image

Even at times traffic was light, it seemed that those people that did show up to Long Beach were motivated buyers so we did sell a decent amount. The 5oz. silver state quarters seemed especially popular as I sold 8-10 of those during the show and if I had more I would have certainly sold them as several asked about them. Too bad they take up so much room in the cases. Every show I also hear the phrase, "commems are dead" from a few dealers when they see my group of classic commems. That said, I sold several of them and had many others that nearly sold. I'm sure the boring average ones may be dead, but nicely toned or coins that are better than the average look for the issue are in demand and do sell for well above the price guide prices. I had a small group of US-Philippines coins in the case too and sold just about every one of those and could have certainly sold more it seems. Lincoln cents and Morgan in my cases were hardly looked at for the most part.

I was able to buy some cool stuff too which is always good. My favorites were a nicely toned Matte Proof Buffalo Nickel and also got another proof Buffalo Nickel w/ cameo contrast that I'm really happy about.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed. Also hope to see more folks from the forums at the next Long Beach... we'll be at the same spot, Table #448!

Comments

• Options
    Good timing on that shot across from your table.
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Many thanks image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good timing on that shot across from your table. >>

That is indeed a rarity at a coin show. image

Mike's and Jay's set up it pretty nice. I loved a couple of the 1909 Lincolns and Jay had a nice Canadian coin and a McKinely...if fact you can see them at a distance in one of the shots.

jom
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report.........It looked like you were busy a good deal of the time!
    ..............and thanks for selling some coins for meimage
    Someone has a really nice toned silver eagle proof.

I was only there for a few minutes on Thursday and a couple hours on Saturday but I was
    surprised at what appeared to me to be a slow and low turnout. I think there were a few times
    that were busy thoughimage

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Nice report and great photos! Thanks for the post!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent report and photographs....thanks.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report and photos - thanks for taking the effort, and glad you had a decent show.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Excellent Report and Photos, Illini !!!

THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good timing on that shot across from your table. >>

yeah....... imageimageimage

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report - thanks for sharing it. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, it was a pleasure to view your 1909 set. image
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent presentation. I really enjoyed looking through the photos.image
  • Options
    Mike, it was great seeing your display at the show! You run a handsome ship!
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome report illini! Very nice display!

ABimage
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those sketches are really cool. Thank you for the images.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the excellent report. I really enjoy these.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report and pix. Thanks for posting them.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the report. Thanks for the pics and taking the time to post. image

Mike
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Great photos, great report, I really enjoyed viewing everything you posted. Thanks
    figglehorn
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report and good neighbors image
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Post Mike! As always it was great to share the table with you.
  • Options
    nice report
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike for spending some time taking those pics on the educational numismatic displays... Charmy's display was awesome to say the least, as well as a few others there to see. image
  • Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No offense, but if that was my girlfriend/fiancee/wife you had taken a picture of, I would never patronize your business again, and I would also probably report you to whomever runs the show. Just some advice, you might want to consider deleting that pic. My new wife hates going to coin shows because she knows that the men there stare at her... If you think that kind of behavior breeds an environment that is conducive to business, well...

Otherwise, nice report and cool photos. >>

Did I miss something here. What picture are you talking about? Was the offending picture removed already? The only picture I saw with people in it was the one of the gold ship. The only women in that picture has her back to the camera. I don't see how anyone would be update with that?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No offense, but if that was my girlfriend/fiancee/wife you had taken a picture of, I would never patronize your business again, and I would also probably report you to whomever runs the show. Just some advice, you might want to consider deleting that pic. My new wife hates going to coin shows because she knows that the men there stare at her... If you think that kind of behavior breeds an environment that is conducive to business, well...

Did I miss something here. What picture are you talking about? Was the offending picture removed already? The only picture I saw with people in it was the one of the gold ship. The only women in that picture has her back to the camera. I don't see how anyone would be update with that? >>

twas removed
  • Options

<< <i>

Did I miss something here. What picture are you talking about? Was the offending picture removed already? The only picture I saw with people in it was the one of the gold ship. The only women in that picture has her back to the camera. I don't see how anyone would be update with that? >>

I initially had a photo that included a woman who was wearing shorts so short they could hardly be called shorts. Without a doubt, anyone wearing them was craving attention and looks of all. But after reading FadeToBlack's post as wells as the comments of a couple of others, it really isn't my place to distributed such a photo on the Internet. Was just trying to have a little fun with the report, but I can see how some would take offense so I pulled that one.

• Options

<< <i>Nice report.........It looked like you were busy a good deal of the time!
    ..............and thanks for selling some coins for meimage
    Someone has a really nice toned silver eagle proof.

I was only there for a few minutes on Thursday and a couple hours on Saturday but I was
    surprised at what appeared to me to be a slow and low turnout. I think there were a few times
    that were busy thoughimage >>

Was good to see you and I was glad to help! That Silver Eagle was pretty darn stunning! The consensus from those I spoke with was that turnout was down significantly compared to recent shows. But many others shared my experience that there were still enough buyers/sellers among those that did attend to make the show decent.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice report, it was a pleasure to view your 1909 set. image >>

Thanks! I really have fun being able to display it at the table. I had lots of fun building the set, but now that the set is mostly complete or at least as complete as I really want it to be, I have less fun with the coins as they sit in the safe deposit box. Having the set on display and being able to share it with others makes it fun again and I may just have it on display next year too image
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geat read! Thanks for sharing with the team.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    It was good to meet you at the show. A good report, thank you. image
    Matt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file