Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #1 Andre The Giant Blank Back...

2»

Comments

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    He was quite athletic. I am reading Kamala's book now and it's interesting to see his opinion on Andre. Andre sounded like a brut, but once Kamala pulled the gun on Andre, things changes between them.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He was quite athletic. I am reading Kamala's book now and it's interesting to see his opinion on Andre. Andre sounded like a brut, but once Kamala pulled the gun on Andre, things changes between them. >>

I read that story in the article a few months back. That must have been something crazy to see. There has to be a few wrestlers who saw that go down.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a Fabulous Moolah with a blank bank from this set too....now we have a Don Muraco, Andre the Giant, and Moolah. Interesting.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>There is a Fabulous Moolah with a blank bank from this set too....now we have a Don Muraco, Andre the Giant, and Moolah. Interesting. >>

I acquired the blank back of the Fabulous Moolah. It is a real sharp card and may be a PSA 7 which would be the highest graded to date. Finding a Hogan would be absolutely crazy.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Some fresh scans of the card.

• Options

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-wrestling-all-stars-Blank-Backs-Andre-Giant-And-Hulk-Hogan-W-Dusty-Rhodes/333567047174?hash=item4daa253606:g:r7kAAOSwvGxeiQZR

I was disappointed to see the seller ended it early but after emailing with him I understand why. Item sold for $800. This may be the only Hogan blank back so that is really cool.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 220 ✭✭✭

Were you considering bidding on this auction? If so, what was your ceiling? Just curious to see what you were thinking it was going to sell for.

• Options

I had a bid in. My phone went off and that’s how I knew it ended.

Honestly no clue what I thought it would sell for. I wasn’t going that high.

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Dave, Did the Andre and Hogan cards look a bit off to you, almost like a copy?

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options

@KNAPP said:
    Dave, Did the Andre and Hogan cards look a bit off to you, almost like a copy?

I contacted the seller the second they were listed and asked where he got them and he said about 15 years ago on EBAY. If this is the case than I can't imagine they are not real.

There have been quite a few Flair reprints show up and most are just a copy but recently I saw one that was like a card and the immediate give away was it had 27A as the number on the back.

These images do look somewhat odd in the photo but they may be just the picture. The rounded corners look a little strange but if you look a the ride side of the Hogan on the back those corners look like a natural corner. The centering looks very natural compared to many copies.

The 82A always have a bowed cut and if you turn them sideways you will see it. Once the buyer has them in hand they will be able to tell I think if they are real or not. My best guess is they are.

What is a mystery is why there are blank bank cards to begin with. I have the uncut sheet and it doesn't seem to make much sense. Maybe they were just test samples from the printer. I can't see why you would have just a few blank backs and not one of each as they are printed on both sides exactly the same.

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Thanks Dave for the response. The only blank backs I have seen are from the 1982 series A set. I know you own the Andre and I have the Muraco and Moolah. On a side note, does anyone know who owns the Harley Race 1981 Popy card PSA 9?

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options

@KNAPP said:
    Thanks Dave for the response. The only blank backs I have seen are from the 1982 series A set. I know you own the Andre and I have the Muraco and Moolah. On a side note, does anyone know who owns the Harley Race 1981 Popy card PSA 9?

The Harley Race Popy is a really cool card. I finally got a copy a few months backs and it is heavily creased but cool in any condition. I plan to sub it as some point just to have one in the holder.

• Options

I am hopeful to upgrade mine someday.

• Options

WOW I didn't realize there had only been two graded.

I knew it was very hard to find but didn't realize the pop was that low.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    WOW I didn't realize there had only been two graded.

I knew it was very hard to find but didn't realize the pop was that low.

He was a short print just like the Hogan for some reason.

• Options

I was the winner of the blank back 1982 Wrestling All Stars of Andre the Giant, Hulk Hogan and Mil Mascaras. I will let you know when I get them in hand and my thoughts about them. It is fun to have something rare and new of these legends. Wish me luck! :-)

@KNAPP said:
    Cool card. Super rare.

• Options

Here is a rare late 80s promotional photo before wm3 how much is this worth. We all know andre didn’t sign much at that time.

• Options

I got these in hand and it is so cool to have something so rare and to have the only Hulk Hogan blank back Wrestling All Stars known. This is the second Andre so there are chances that more Hogans exist but for the time being, I will take the crown for being the only publicized owner of this rarity. Before I had even realized it, Dpeck mentioned how I had all three yellow cards with the blank backs which is a mini subset from 1982 A. They have some wear but they have the feel of the other Wrestling All Stars cards so I know they are legit. Grade really isn't important to me as I am just happy to own these rarities in this iconic wrestling set.

• Options

Awesome Rob!

I am very happy to hear when you received them you were satisfied. You can never go wrong with something this rare!

Mascaras a Pop 1 so far too!

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    Awesome Rob!

I am very happy to hear when you received them you were satisfied. You can never go wrong with something this rare!

Mascaras a Pop 1 so far too!

Thanks for your encouragement. Your Andre is nicer than mine, but I am just happy to have one. I remember thinking that I would love to have Andre when you found your rarity and after all this time I now have my own. :-)

• Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    << There is a Fabulous Moolah with a blank bank from this set too....now we have a Don Muraco, Andre the Giant, and Moolah. Interesting. >>

I acquired the blank back of the Fabulous Moolah. It is a real sharp card and may be a PSA 7 which would be the highest graded to date. Finding a Hogan would be absolutely crazy.

I just found my post where I said finding a Hulk Hogan would be absolutely crazy almost five years ago. Well, it happened! :-) Really stoked to own this card.

• Options

Quite interesting. I bought a complete set of 1982 wrestling all stars series A a few weeks ago and I added another blank back just like that. It displays better than the group of three that I bought here recently and adds another known copy that is out there. Now we know for sure that there is Andre the Giant, Hulk Hogan, Mil Mascaras, Don Muraco, The Fabulous Moolah and now we have Dick Murdoch.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-wrestling-all-stars-Blank-Backs-Andre-Giant-And-Hulk-Hogan-W-Dusty-Rhodes/333567047174?hash=item4daa253606:g:r7kAAOSwvGxeiQZR

I was disappointed to see the seller ended it early but after emailing with him I understand why. Item sold for $800. This may be the only Hogan blank back so that is really cool.

Back in April it seemed that $800 may have been high for the three cards but after Hogan's in near mint going for nearly $900 each I feel that I got a steal with this lot. I am going to make some steps to see what I need to get these in slabs. I would love for that to be PSA. :-)