Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #1 Andre The Giant Blank Back...

I came across this listing tonight on EBAY. The seller had an opening bid of $44.99. I emailed them and asked if they would consider a Buy It Now for the item. They responded yes and I offered $100. The card is probably a PSA 5 at best but still a nice copy. I have never seen one of these before and I have only seen one other blank back card and it was posted by another board member. They agreed and I quickly snagged it.

Does anyone know if PSA will grade this and label it a blank back?

Andre Blank Back

Comments

• Options
    I believe PSA will only assign a number grade to a blank back card that was released in a pack or complete set if it is a recognized variation. They may slab it as authentic if they can determine that it is unaltered.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Interesting....it doesn't appear to be hand cut at all. I wonder if they were part of an early run....
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I wanna know about this card once you have it in hand, perhaps you can compare this to Knapp's Muraco that had a blank back to check if they are the same stock.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not gotten it yet but am anxious to. I think it is a very unique item.

• Options
    I just got the card in the mail. Very unique item. Definitely a legit card and certainly no tampering.

I will add scans later tonight.
  • Options
    Looking forward to the pics!
  • Options
    Very cool card!!!!!!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Here are the scans.

• Options
    That is a pretty unique item. Especially since you've never come across one yourself. Pretty cool piece to have. Maybe PSA will slab it with an "authentic". That would be good enough for me. Nice pick up.
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Cool card. Super rare.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    Here is a mystery to solve, sweet card.
  • Options
    Blank Back

Here is the thread where Knapp posted the scan of his Don Muraco Blank Back in an SGC holder.

• Options
    I emailed Joe and asked him what PSA's stance was on cards such as this.

It looks like the answer to the question if PSA will grade a blank back card is a maybe and if so it would be graded authentic. I think this card would look great in a PSA holder and I will give it a try.
  • Options
    Seeing the scan of the back makes me chuckle and reminds me when I sold a few blank backs from basketball. I had a scan of the back as well and as I did so I thought, it's a blank back, of course the back is blank, why is there a need for a scan? Of course, I put it on the item because I figured some jokester would ask for proof.
  • Options

<< <i>I emailed Joe and asked him what PSA's stance was on cards such as this.

It looks like the answer to the question if PSA will grade a blank back card is a maybe and if so it would be graded authentic. I think this card would look great in a PSA holder and I will give it a try. >>

Hopefully the flip can say blank back with the authentic label with it. Good luck!

Rob
  • Options
    I will be sending this card in this weekend with a number of other cards.

It is always interesting to add new artifacts from the set to my collection and I came across an order form for all of the PWE souvenir products.

Here is a pic of the multi page insert.

image[/URL]
  • Options
    My grades just popped and no grade on this one.

Bummer but knew it was a big if.

• Options
    Perhaps this could be a card for BGS?
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps this could be a card for BGS? >>

I know Knapp has one slabbed by SGC with Blank Back on it. When I get it back I will decide which route to take.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Can't catch a break lately. That sucks. Do they typically grade blank back cards?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>Can't catch a break lately. That sucks. Do they typically grade blank back cards? >>

I agree, it has been tough sledding for wrestling card collectors here recently........
  • Options

<< <i>

I know Knapp has one slabbed by SGC with Blank Back on it. When I get it back I will decide which route to take. >>

Bummer. Does Knapp have the same blank-backed one or a different card? I wonder if a sheet of these snuck through back in the day and there will be one of each card or however they were collated on the sheet.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I know Knapp has one slabbed by SGC with Blank Back on it. When I get it back I will decide which route to take. >>

Bummer. Does Knapp have the same blank-backed one or a different card? I wonder if a sheet of these snuck through back in the day and there will be one of each card or however they were collated on the sheet. >>

Knapp has a Don Muraco.

No telling how the card came to be but I know for certain it is real.
  • Options
    I got this card shipped off with some others to SGC this morning.

Hopefully they will grade it and slab it.

• Options
    I imagine that it will get done, that will be a great card for sure! I usually know about certain varieties, but I have nothing yet on this one. Best of luck.
  • Options
    So far so good. They got logged by SGC the first day they received them which was nice. The primary reason I chose to go with them vs. BGS is that you can get a competent person on the phone.

I also like the fact that in the vintage market there are many great cards in their slabs and while the Wrestling All Stars don't meet the true definition of vintage they are closer to vintage then modern to me.

It is shocking the level of phone customer service BGS has and I have no interest in doing business with a company run so poorly. I have less then 5 cards left in their slabs and while I took some financial hits crossing the cards over to PSA in lower grades it was a lesson learned and you move forward.

One of the great things about PSA is that you can get a helpful person and that goes a long way with me. I have had nothing but pleasant experiences when dealing with the front lines and this is obviously a good thing.

I am really hoping that they will label the Andre and perhaps at some point I can try and cross it in the slab. Not sure if that will sway PSA's decision but I can't imagine it would hurt my chances.

• Options
    19 1982Wrestling All Stars ANDRE THE GIANT(Blank Back)

This is encouraging. I so hope this gets into a slab.

• Options

<< <i>One of the great things about PSA is that you can get a helpful person and that goes a long way with me. >>

+1. I also vote with my feet and actively choose companies that treat their customers like real live human beings! PSA's customer service over the phone is solid.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    just sent a 70 ryan sgc 92 blank front into psa...thought I had seen blanks graded by psa. am I wrong?
  • Options

<< <i>just sent a 70 ryan sgc 92 blank front into psa...thought I had seen blanks graded by psa. am I wrong? >>

It is done on a case by case basis.

I sent in the Andre with no luck. It was sent in with some 1985 Wrestling All Stars that at first got kicked back for being trimmed and the head of operations had agreed that they would slab them AUTH. In the process of getting that fixed I asked to see if he could show the Andre to the head grader and he did but the answer was the same.

I have only seen one other blank back card from the series and it is a Don Muraco and board member Knapp owns it. It is slabbed by SGC.

Good luck with getting it to cross over.

• Options
    ugh. don't even mention the 85's. sent in a ton about 2 years ago, wrote "hand cut" on the submission form and everything. every one came back evid trim. called in, explained the terrible perforations and they said send them back in for free, waited another 2 months and still came back evid trim.
  • Options

<< <i>ugh. don't even mention the 85's. sent in a ton about 2 years ago, wrote "hand cut" on the submission form and everything. every one came back evid trim. called in, explained the terrible perforations and they said send them back in for free, waited another 2 months and still came back evid trim. >>

85 thread

• Options

<< <i>ugh. don't even mention the 85's. sent in a ton about 2 years ago, wrote "hand cut" on the submission form and everything. every one came back evid trim. called in, explained the terrible perforations and they said send them back in for free, waited another 2 months and still came back evid trim. >>

I don't understand the stance on the 1985s, it truly is baffling to me. I sent in a bunch after the first thirty or so were graded with a number and thought I would go for the set.....well you can guess what happened to me.....as it was the same that happened to you apparently. There are some wrestlers in the 1985 which would be rookie cards, but PSA has taken away any sort of market for them as of now. Hopefully in the future they will discover the error of their ways.....
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Dave, try to get it slabbed by bgs and then work with then to add it as a variation in their checklist. Then provide psa with a link to the checklist and they should be able to grade it. You might have to send it as a crossover but I think that will work
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    My grades popped with SGC.

1982Wrestling All Stars ANDRE THE GIANT(Blank Back)60

Very excited to get this in a slab.

• Options
    I may send in an item or two to SGC since PSA is not going to grade them for now.
  • Options
    got my sgc slab w. my 70 ryan back from psa. they wouldn't grade it. sent w/ cardsaver psa flip stating "manuf misprint". quite shocking as I've seen mantles with blank fronts/backs in holders...
  • Options

<< <i>got my sgc slab w. my 70 ryan back from psa. they wouldn't grade it. sent w/ cardsaver psa flip stating "manuf misprint". quite shocking as I've seen mantles with blank fronts/backs in holders... >>

I know they used to grade them and then became less willing to. Personally I think it is a bad business decision because it opens up your customers to another TPG but they may be concerned about making a mistake and being on the hook for it and perhaps that out weighs the lost revenue.

SGC was excellent to work with and I am thrilled I decided to send them the card.

I own a lot of rare cards because of condition but this is has to be the most rare card I own with only one known example.

• Options
    is there a cert verification link on sgc site? looking at it now and not the most user friendly site at all....
  • Options

<< <i>is there a cert verification link on sgc site? looking at it now and not the most user friendly site at all.... >>

Their site is not very easy to navigate. If you call them someone answers the phone quickly and is professional. It sounds like a really small shop in reality.

One of the reasons I am not a fan of Beckett is the absolutely horrific phone cusmter support.

Obviously myself and others are not going to stop using PSA but I don't see the reason to share the business.

SGC's brand is now associated with a major wrestling card and in reality it didn't need to be.

Perhaps one day PSA will change their stance and the card will have a red flip instead of a green one.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>is there a cert verification link on sgc site? looking at it now and not the most user friendly site at all.... >>

Their site is not very easy to navigate. If you call them someone answers the phone quickly and is professional. It sounds like a really small shop in reality.

One of the reasons I am not a fan of Beckett is the absolutely horrific phone cusmter support.

Obviously myself and others are not going to stop using PSA but I don't see the reason to share the business.

SGC's brand is now associated with a major wrestling card and in reality it didn't need to be.

Perhaps one day PSA will change their stance and the card will have a red flip instead of a green one. >>

There may be another monster wrestling card in a SGC holder until PSA comes around and changes their stance on grading a particular issue.
  • Options
    I like monsters! which one are we talking about?
  • Options

<< <i>I like monsters! which one are we talking about? >>

Mum is the word for now.....
  • Options
    until then, then...here's my only sgc monsters...seriously considering trying to cross the 98 to a psa, however kinda tough pill to swallow considering what the last one sold for vs grading fee....plus I like the pair now that I have the only blank front.

• Options
    and with all this talk about blank fronts/back, good job on the cosmos 10, dpeck! it's a very cool card. wish it did have writing on the back, even if in Japanese. for some odd reason, I really only like the blank back / fronts when they aren't supposed to be that way, ie your giant and this ryan.

something tells me you will never get rid of "the blank back giant". ...that kinda has a good ring to it!
  • Options

<< <i>and with all this talk about blank fronts/back, good job on the cosmos 10, dpeck! it's a very cool card. wish it did have writing on the back, even if in Japanese. for some odd reason, I really only like the blank back / fronts when they aren't supposed to be that way, ie your giant and this ryan.

something tells me you will never get rid of "the blank back giant". ...that kinda has a good ring to it! >>

WOW Bob those are sweet!!!

I tend to agree that blank back cards that are designed that way are not as cool. I call the Flair the "Acid Trip Flair" because it is so wild looking and I think the shot is awesome.

The fact that they came out of a vending machine somewhere in Japan though is super cool. They could indeed be better though as you point out.

Yes "The Blank Back Giant" will be staying in my collection.

What is interesting is that they don't have Knapp's Muraco coded that way in the Pop Report at SGC. The Andre is clearly segmented which is cool.

• Options
    I don't think the ryan is either....looked for about 20 mins on the site and gave up due to the user-friendlyness of it.
  • Options
    I have to say I really like these SGC holders.

The scan doesn't do this card justice in hand.

Love it!!!

• Options
    I want it! very, very cool.
  • Options
    MSG Match

If you want to see how awesome Andre was when he could move watch this match.