Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hey, Do You Have A Leftover OGP Case?

OK, in this era of hypermodern grading craziness, many folks toss their OGP (Original Government Packaging) of their sets. Maybe they should hold on to them as they can be worth eventually as much as the contents. The case ALONE for Great Britain proof set went for 6K USD plus the juice at Heritage!

OK, well it was an 1839 case...
Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    "Hey, Do You Have A Leftover OGP Case?"
    Yes, I keep all my OGP. I do not resell them because I don't want counterfeiters to gain access. However, I do not enjoy them per se. They sit quietly in a box out of sight. Some day, perhaps when my collection is 100% slabbed and I know I'll never be using the OGP again, I may destroy them or trash them in a manner to prevent resale. Who knows. For now, I have the storage space available.

edit: screwed up the italics on the first try. dang.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have been clogging up my office, so I started bringing them to Mexico and give them away to friends who sell in the tianguis (street market).

It's been mostly US, Royal Mint, and French OGP so far.

It's all from China anyway, particularly the recent US stuff. The older cherrywood box from the Constitution commemoratives was made in USA though.

Next to go is that hideous monstrousity from the UHR Double Eagle.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I was joking - it just seemed to me that $ 7,000 Dollars for a case was a bit crazy even if it was from 1839!
  • Options
    Careful, there are MANY people 'out there' who would say the same thing about a coin from that year image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Well, at least I would rather have a 7k USD coin from that year than the case! Seem to recall a 13 yr old purchase of an 1839 CURRENCY 2/6 now residing in an MS64 PCGS holder at less than 1/3 that price!!
  • Options
    I totally agree! My cases and holders - with the exception of our hosts' products - are the cheapest money can buy w/o sacrificing quality.

But I know a lot of guys who've spent boucoup bucks on display cases … …
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 1927 South African specimen case off eBay years ago, but someone told me it was a contemporary aftermarket case. Hmmm...

The coolest modern one I found was the faux soapstone boxes for the Canadian first nations gold coins. Tres chic!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Faux soapstone. Cool. Pics? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

This Swiss 1850 currency case, from 1 rp to 5 frs realized CHF950 ($1050 hammer) at Sincona yesterday. The last time I had seen one, included the specimen coins of that year, that belonged to JJ Pittman.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    A shame they were separated. I still think over 7,000 USD for the box in the OP is over the top...
  • Options
    I think if I had a really cool toner, I'd be curious to see the original holder (allegedly responsible for the toning). There's definitely a coolness factor about accessories to your prize.

My car has cool floor mats and a front vanity plate. My coins are in flips or slabs. I have many original holders and boxes but no idea what to do with them.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE