Home Precious Metals

Christmas rounds

How many of you give or have given Christmas Rounds?

My family has a tradition to give ornaments every year but we have never given the Silver rounds. I am thinking about doing it this year. Share your experiences/opinions if you will.

Thanks,
Ray

Comments

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I have been giving my now 13 year old son a dated Christmas silver round for the last 5 years or so.
    Each deign is different. I tell him when he is older he can continue to hang them on the tree and that if in some future financial pinch he can always cash them in.
    Kinda like an emergency cash thing....a little security if needed but mostly a family rememberance/tradition.
    We all enjoy hanging them on the tree each year as I enclose them in plastic rounds that have hooks/hangers.
    I know they are overpriced but it is a lot of fun!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done so in the past and everyone I've given one to has told me they really like em

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    I always buy a few at Christmas time. A number of private mints seem to put some out every year so there is plenty of choice. They go for spot and a Christmas premium but heck of a gift for $25 or so. I give them to the adult kids and grand children. None of the kids shows any passion at all for owning metal but they always think the rounds are pretty cool.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often give ASE's but not the Christmas rounds... Cheers, RickO
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    The problem I am facing is most of my family does not understand the value of Silver. If I give them an ASE, it would have little to no value to them and they would probably put it in a drawer and forget about it or bring it to the local pawn shot to get their fiat money. I figure if I give them a silver round (Non colored of course) then they would have a use for it and save it.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Being Jewish, I have never. But I do have a silver round I wish to sell, which contains a cross as the main design feature. Would xmas be an opportune time to sell? or Easter? or does it really matter?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Being Jewish, I have never. But I do have a silver round I wish to sell, which contains a cross as the main design feature. Would xmas be an opportune time to sell? or Easter? or does it really matter? >>

It's only worth melt value so sell it whenever you want.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i never gave silver of any kind of silver.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks,

if you get Christmas rounds or special occasion rounds as gifts, please do not bring them into a coin shop /bullion shop to sell, we hate em.

These things are impossible to get rid of, 99% of every one I used to get in, I always had to send them to the refinery, silver buyers hate em. I could literally be out of silver and people beggin to buy it , and they still would pass on the holiday rounds. Sometimes I would discount them 2 bucks under spot and still have trouble.

hate em I tell you

jim

<< <i>Folks,

if you get Christmas rounds or special occasion rounds as gifts, please do not bring them into a coin shop /bullion shop to sell, we hate em.

These things are impossible to get rid of, 99% of every one I used to get in, I always had to send them to the refinery, silver buyers hate em. I could literally be out of silver and people beggin to buy it , and they still would pass on the holiday rounds. Sometimes I would discount them 2 bucks under spot and still have trouble.

hate em I tell you

jim >>

Ummmm.... You have any at $2 under spot? image
    Maybe I'll give'em an ASE or a Maple, I hear ya Jim. Hmmmm, I still have a few months to decide image
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I don't even bother anymore. The rounds I gave them are just a burden and they were disappointed they didn't get something fun.

<< <i>The problem I am facing is most of my family does not understand the value of Silver. If I give them an ASE, it would have little to no value to them and they would probably put it in a drawer and forget about it or bring it to the local pawn shot to get their fiat money. I figure if I give them a silver round (Non colored of course) then they would have a use for it and save it. >>

Edit: oops, I forgot: Ornaments are a pretty good idea.
    COA
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭
    Depending on their age, you might want to look at state quarter folders, or presidential dollar folders with them filled as far as possible at the time of giving. While not an investment like silver, it has piqued my daughters' interest in collecting coins.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

<< <i>Depending on their age, you might want to look at state quarter folders, or presidential dollar folders with them filled as far as possible at the time of giving. While not an investment like silver, it has piqued my daughters' interest in collecting coins. >>

I was thinking more in the lines of "Silver" as a means to open up discussion with adult family members in regards to the future of the dollar and what possibilities lay ahead.