Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PCGS Restoration ... what a great service

Soon after the PCGS Restoration was announced, I sent in two coins. I'm extremely happy with the results. Unfortunately, I don't have good "before" pics. Both were submitted in their PCGS Holders.

The first coin, a 16th century Australian Thaler, had some green debris on the surface of the Reverse, possible inactive PVC but more likely felt from a cabinet lining. A little bit of it is still present on VN of the Reverse Legend, but the restoration was a significant improvement.

The second was a 19th century Bremen Thaler, with a big ugly black spot to the left of the crown on the Reverse. It was about the size of one of the letters in the legend. Where is it now?

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Paul, thanks for sharing. This eliminates all doubts I had about whether to use the service.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Superb results Paul, and truly beautiful coins. Thanks for sharing.

Did the second coin upgrade,(I see that it's an MS66), after the big spot was removed? And finally, did you use the service in conjunction with reconsideration for eventual upgrades?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Did the second coin upgrade,(I see that it's an MS66), after the big spot was removed?

No, it was purchased sight unseen already in a MS66 holder from a European seller. It would have been returned, except I had already decided to send the Austrian Thaler for restoration. After some close examination, I felt the spot was on the coin, and not in the coin. The seller, who didn't disclose the issue, agreed to a discount that was about equal to the restoration fee. The Obverse was phenomenal (MS67 worthy, in my opinion), and the Reverse was great if the spot was ignored. So, off it went.

I did think it had an outside chance of ending up in MS67 plastic ... but I'd rather have the improved look it has now than a bump in grade and an ok restoration.

And finally, did you use the service in conjunction with reconsideration for eventual upgrades?

I don't think that's necessary. My understanding is that PCGS graded coins are cracked out, restored, then re-graded. The grade can go up or stay the same. Per the PCGS Restoration Page, "PCGS will guarantee that the grade of any PCGS-certified coin will not go down."
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    But if the coin is raw and not already entombed, you do have to pay an additional grading fee yes?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE