Home Sports Talk
Options

Happy Mariano Rivera Day Everyone!

Festivities begin at 1230 EST

Farewell to a brilliant talent the likes of which we may never see again, certainly in this life time.

Enter Sandman...

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The Yankees will need to hold back if they want to give Rivera a chance for an actual save on his own day here.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

Farewell to a brilliant talent the likes of which we may never see again, certainly in this life time.

.. >>

We're actually seeing a better talent in a Boston uniform just this year. Boston's closer has better numbers this year then Mariano ever had for a single season.
    But if we're talking about longevity, then perhaps you're right.

Mariano deserves all the credit and respect he's getting. He's certainly earned it.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're actually seeing a better talent in a Boston uniform just this year

I'm not a Yankees fan by any means, but even I thought this statement to be rather funny... image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>We're actually seeing a better talent in a Boston uniform just this year

I'm not a Yankees fan by any means, but even I thought this statement to be rather funny... image >>

Neither are you an informed baseball fan either.
    Boston's closers stats are statistically better then any of Mariano's best year in the big leagues.

LOL image
  • Options
    Uehara's ERA this season is 1.14
    Rivera's lowest ERA in one season in his career was 1.38

Uehara has a 12.4 Strikeouts Per 9 innings
    Rivera's best in his career was 9.8

Uehara's WHIP is 0.575 this year
    Rivera's best WHIP in his career was 0.665

Uehara has given up 32 hits in 71 Innings pitched.
    Mariano's best doesn't even come close.

LOL image
  • Options
    With all due respect, if you are going to compare Uehara with Rivera on any level, you are truly delusional or know nothing about baseball.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Uehara's ERA this season is 1.14
    Rivera's lowest ERA in one season in his career was 1.38

Uehara has a 12.4 Strikeouts Per 9 innings
    Rivera's best in his career was 9.8

Uehara's WHIP is 0.575 this year
    Rivera's best WHIP in his career was 0.665

Uehara has given up 32 hits in 71 Innings pitched.
    Mariano's best doesn't even come close.
    >>

In 1996 Mariano Rivera pitched in 121 innings and gave up 26 runs. In 2013 Uehara has pitched in 71 innings and given up 10 runs. That means Rivera did exactly what Uehara did, plus an extra 50 innings with an ERA almost two full runs better than league average
  • Options

<< <i>With all due respect, if you are going to compare Uehara with Rivera on any level, you are truly delusional or know nothing about baseball. >>

I forgive you Grote. After all, you are a Mets fan image

I guess you just don't understand numbers the way the rest of us do image
  • Options
    Funny
  • Options

<< <i>

In 1996 Mariano Rivera pitched in 121 innings and gave up 26 runs. In 2013 Uehara has pitched in 71 innings and given up 10 runs. That means Rivera did exactly what Uehara did, plus an extra 50 innings with an ERA almost two full runs better than league average >>

Mariano Rivera's ERA in 1996 was 2.09

Uehara's ERA this year is 1.14

Uehara is the clear winner by a country mile.
  • Options

<< <i>Putting one season's stats aside... When a major league team presents Uehara a chair made of all the broken bats his cutter caused for that team... Then I'll take this post seriously. Until then enjoy this short hiatus of greatness and hope your team gets through the first round this year. >>

You said we may never see the likes of Mariano again.

Baseball statistics are factually telling us that we are seeing something way better then Mariano this year.

Whether you choose to accept that is up to you.
  • Options
    Here is a stat
    652 career saves.
  • Options
    Looks like there's a word fight going on.

How's this...

Greatness = talent + longevity

Talent like Rivera's is seen in the top relievers of today.
    Longevity like Rivera's is uncommon, but not unheard of.
    Rivera's greatness is unmatched.

• Options
    Giants closer Sergio Romo was totally awe-struck when Rivera greeted him by name this weekend. He gushed about it to one of the Giants beat writers.

• Options
    I remember when Eric Gagne was better than Mariano.

• Options
    The term GOAT is often thrown around with a certain degree of hyperbole, but in this case, no question it applies to Rivera as a closer.

Rivera is a class act off the field as well. Here's a great story that just recently came out on ESPN:

Rivera Gesture

• Options

<< <i>Festivities begin at 1230 EST

Enter Sandman... >>

Sorry Mattingly23, Uehara is in this lifetime, we've seen him, and this year he's better then any season Mariano ever put up.
    And Trevor Hoffman is only 50 saves behind Rivera lifetime.

So we have seen very comparable performances in this lifetime.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Festivities begin at 1230 EST

Enter Sandman... >>

Sorry Mattingly23, Uehara is in this lifetime, we've seen him, and this year he's better then any season Mariano ever put up.
    And Trevor Hoffman is only 50 saves behind Rivera lifetime.

So we have seen very comparable performances in this lifetime. >>

Tebow is a great QB, too, according to you, LOL..

• Options
    LOL Grote image

When you're proven wrong about Uehara having a better season then Rivera ever had, try to change the subject image
  • Options

<< <i>LOL Grote image

When you're proven wrong about Uehara having a better season then Rivera ever had, try to change the subject image >>

Here's another stat: Rivera has a cumulative postseason ERA of 0.70 with 42 saves and an 8-1 record. How many postseason saves does Uehara has? Even better question: will Uehara even be the Red Sox closer 3 years from now, 5 years from now? As Eric Gagne how legendary a closer can be based on a small (or in this case, microscopic) sample size.

• Options

<< <i>

Tebow is a great QB, too, according to you, LOL.. >>

And Mark Sanchez was a better quarterback then him according to you and that coach of yours. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tebow is a great QB, too, according to you, LOL.. >>

And Mark Sanchez was a better quarterback then him according to you and that coach of yours. image >>

Actually, he is. That's how bad Tebow is.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>LOL Grote image

When you're proven wrong about Uehara having a better season then Rivera ever had, try to change the subject image >>

Here's another stat: Rivera has a cumulative postseason ERA of 0.70 with 42 saves and an 8-1 record. How many postseason saves does Uehara has? Even better question: will Uehara even be the Red Sox closer 3 years from now, 5 years from now? >>

With this stat you only prove that Rivera had the luxury of playing on great teams, that won many games.

How many games would Rivera save in the postseason if he played for the teams Trevor Hoffman played on ?

Trevor Hoffman would be the league all time save leader if he played for the Yankees and Rivera played for the Padres.

So thank you for bringing this up image
  • Options

<< <i>

Actually, he is. That's how bad Tebow is. >>

Sorry. I was looking for Mark Sanchez's career playoff wins to compare to Tebows. Sadly, I could not find any information on it.

What I did find is that Tim Tebow has an All-Time better QB rating then Mark Sanchez, but what do stats mean anyway. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Actually, he is. That's how bad Tebow is. >>

Sorry. I was looking for Mark Sanchez's career playoff wins to compare to Tebows. Sadly, I could not find any information on it.

What I did find is that Tim Tebow has an All-Time better QB rating then Mark Sanchez, but what do stats mean anyway. image >>

Actually, Sanchez has 4 postseason playoff wins to his credit, all on the road, but thanks for making my point. image

• Options

<< <i>How many games would Rivera save in the postseason if he played for the teams Trevor Hoffman played on ?

Trevor Hoffman would be the league all time save leader if he played for the Yankees and Rivera played for the Padres. >>

If Trevor Hoffman was the Yankees closer instead of Mo, they wouldn't have won 5 championships.

• Options
    Billy Wagner all-time relief pitcher rankings (500+ innings)

LOB% - 1ST (probably THE most important stat for a reliever)
    AVG - 1ST
    K/9 - 1ST (also all-time for ALL pitchers)
    K% - 1ST
    ERA - 2ND
    ERA- - 2ND
    WHIP - 3RD
    FIP- - 3RD
    WAR - 4TH
    FIP - 4TH
    Saves - 5TH
    Ks - 6TH
    K/BB - 6TH

• Options
    Billy Wagner had a lifetime ERA of 10.03 in the postseason. Where does that rank all-time?

• Options

<< <i>Billy Wagner had a lifetime ERA of 10.03 in the postseason. Where does that rank all-time? >>

It Ranks Here!
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a Yankee fan at all but Rivera is simply amazing stat wise and in class..... what a guy and I will miss him.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    This thread is kinda ridiculous.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread is kinda ridiculous. >>

It wasn't ridiculous until it was hijacked.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    We shall see when a closer is the first player to gain entry into the HOF with 100% of the voters.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This thread is kinda ridiculous. >>

It wasn't ridiculous until it was hijacked. >>

Probably the best reply since the OP.
  • Options
    The last four posts have basically ruined a robust debate about the greatness of Mariano Rivera compared to his contemporaries.

Albeit Grote chimed in with his Tim Tebow comment that threw us off guard, but the rest of the thread is debating the OP's statement that we will never see
    anyone like Mariano again in this lifetime.

The last three posters have contributed nothing to our healthy discussion.
  • Options

<< <i>Mariano Rivera's ERA in 1996 was 2.09

Uehara's ERA this year is 1.14

Uehara is the clear winner by a country mile. >>

Rivera's teammates this year, Matt Daley and Alberto Gonzalez, both have ERAs of 0.00. They are clearly better than Uehara by a light year
  • Options

<< <i>The last four posts have basically ruined a robust debate about the greatness of Mariano Rivera compared to his contemporaries.

Albeit Grote chimed in with his Tim Tebow comment that threw us off guard, but the rest of the thread is debating the OP's statement that we will never see

The last three posters have contributed nothing to our healthy discussion. >>

You're comical. YOU hijacked the thread by comparing the best closer of all time to some chump having a good season is Boston. You actually think one season makes this guy even deserve to be compared? So, back in '96 I'm sure you were saying "Hey look! Brady Anderson is the Griffey and Bonds!!"?

As was originally said, we will never see anyone comparable to Rivera again.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You're comical. YOU hijacked the thread by comparing the best closer of all time to some chump having a good season is Boston. You actually think one season makes this guy even deserve to be compared? So, back in '96 I'm sure you were saying "Hey look! Brady Anderson is the Griffey and Bonds!!"?

As was originally said, we will never see anyone comparable to Rivera again. >>

+1

Uehara is having a very good season, but not overly impressive. Every year there is a relief picture or two that have great years (ie. Eric Gange, Brian Wilson, Jose Valverde, Chad Cordero, etc.) and none of those players should be mentioned in the same sentence as Mariano Rivera. Koji had a great year, but to say it was better than any year Rivera has ever had is a stretch, heck, I could even argue Mo had a better year THIS year!

I think you're wrong on this one.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Axtell - in disguise?
  • Options
    I am a Red Sox fan through and through - and I wouldn't even think about making such a ridiculous comparison. And even if such a crazy thought were to come to me, I’d never think about making that thought publicly known – much less kill someone’s thread – diverting the conversation elsewhere.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The last four posts have basically ruined a robust debate about the greatness of Mariano Rivera compared to his contemporaries.

The last three posters have contributed nothing to our healthy discussion. >>

You're comical. YOU hijacked the thread by comparing the best closer of all time to some chump having a good season is Boston. You actually think one season makes this guy even deserve to be compared? So, back in '96 I'm sure you were saying "Hey look! Brady Anderson is the Griffey and Bonds!!"?

As was originally said, we will never see anyone comparable to Rivera again. >>

Go back and read my first post in this thread. I said that if the OP was speaking in terms of longevity, then he is right, that we may never see a closer like Rivera again.
    I did also state that Uehara is having a season that the great Mariano Rivera never had in his lifetime. So Uehara is better this year then Rivera ever was. That
    is a factual truth.

Perhaps you should read what people write before you go saying dumb things.

But thanks again for derailing this good discussion with inaccurate statements.
  • Options

<< <i>I am a Red Sox fan through and through - and I wouldn't even think about making such a ridiculous comparison. And even if such a crazy thought were to come to me, I’d never think about making that thought publicly known – much less kill someone’s thread – diverting the conversation elsewhere. >>

Another poster who obviously didn't read my first post.

I said that if the OP was speaking in terms of longevity, then he is correct.

I also said that Uehara is having the better year this year than Rivera ever had.

Both statements I said are correct.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

.. >>

We're actually seeing a better talent in a Boston uniform just this year. Boston's closer has better numbers this year then Mariano ever had for a single season.
    But if we're talking about longevity, then perhaps you're right.

Mariano deserves all the credit and respect he's getting. He's certainly earned it. >>

THIS IS MY ORIGINAL POST. PROOFREAD IT SO YOU CAN SEE HOW FOOLISH YOU GUYS ARE FOR COMING HERE AND DERAILING THIS THREAD.
  • Options
    Actually, sir, this thread left the tracks when you made your first post - Uehara has nothing to do with Happy Mariano Rivera Day. I believe that to be a fact.
  • Options
    I encourage you to proof-read the previous post multiple times and find the truth in there.
  • Options
    Actually sir, reread the OP's initial post.

The majority of his post centers around that fact that we are saying goodbye to the greatest closer of all time, who we may never see again. CERTAINLY IN THIS LIFETIME.

So I guess his next thread will be..............

Happy Derek Jeter day

A shortstop who's power numbers we may never see again, certainly in this lifetime.

Or

Happy Andy Pettite day

A lefthander who we may never see again, certainly in this lifetime.

For clarification...I used one sentence to agree with him. One sentence to say congrats to a great closer, and one sentence to point out the error in his post.

You sir are a troll, who likes to stir up strife. I reaffirm two of his points, and point out one flaw, and you say I have created a trainwreck.

• Options

<< <i>I encourage you to proof-read the previous post multiple times and find the truth in there. >>

I encourage you to stop being an internet trouble maker. I am about to report you to the mods.

When someone makes a post and reaffirms two points made by the OP, and points out one flaw, then there is nothing
    wrong with that, unless someone is a baby, or under the age of 13.

I suggest you be careful how you proceed, because if you continue to harass me, you will be reported, and I will let the mods
    decide.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I encourage you to proof-read the previous post multiple times and find the truth in there. >>

I encourage you to stop being an internet trouble maker. I am about to report you to the mods.

When someone makes a post and reaffirms two points made by the OP, and points out one flaw, then there is nothing
    wrong with that, unless someone is a baby, or under the age of 13.

I suggest you be careful how you proceed, because if you continue to harass me, you will be reported, and I will let the mods
    decide. >>

• Options

<< <i>So Uehara is better this year then Rivera ever was. That
    is a factual truth >>

It absolutely is not factual. He has a lower ERA than Rivera ever had. That does not mean it is better. If some fool on an internet chat room wants to believe it makes it better than Rivera's best year, that is fine. But it doesn't make it factual.

Further, we all know some reliever does come close or even surpass Rivera's peak fairly often. Gagne, Papelbon, Fernando Rodney, Brad Lidge, Chapman, Kimbrel, all had some great seasons over the past few years. None of them have managed even half as many top level years as Rivera gave the Yankees. It was pretty obvious to every one else that saying saying "We may never see again" was talking about the totality of his career, not one single snapshot. The only way not to be able to pick up on that would be to either have rocks in your head or have your head shoved too far up your backside