Home Precious Metals

Idioms

We've all heard silver referred to as "poor man's gold." Do you know any similar idioms? that express similar sentiments?

Whenever we made eggplant parm my dad would say, "[eggplant] is the steak of the vegetable kingdom."

I happen to love eggplant and silver. But occasionally I splurge for a steak and some gold.
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Bulls and Bears both make money, but pigs get slaughtered.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We've all heard silver referred to as "poor man's gold." Do you know any similar idioms? that express similar sentiments? >>

I've been seeing copper rounds and bars being sold as bullion so I guess you could say copper is the poor man's silver.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have one. It's my sig. line. Just wish I could remember who originally said it so they could be given the credit the deserve. image

My sig line strikes again within moments.
    See just below for details
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oops, thought you were soliciting comments on idiots.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you know any similar idioms? that express similar sentiments? >>

Platinum is the rich man's silver.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhodium used to be the rich man's platinum.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fool and his money are soon parted.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    My brother!

Oh Idioms....sorry image

"Actions Speak Louder Than Words"

Loves me some shiny!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't fix stupid...... Cheers, RickO
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    imageimage You guys crack me UP! image

<< <i>I've been seeing copper rounds and bars being sold as bullion so I guess you could say copper is the poor man's silver. >>

I noticed this at my local B&M, too. Seems every time I'm browsing in there some kid walks in [looking poor as most kids are] and buys a bar of copper. I don't get it. Great for conducting electricity and residential plumbing. Not so much for bullion investing. But try telling that to all the folks out there who keep stealing copper pipes and fixtures from construction sites across the country. It's been happening for years and still continues, though not as often as 2008-09.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage You guys crack me UP! image

<< <i>I've been seeing copper rounds and bars being sold as bullion so I guess you could say copper is the poor man's silver. >>

I noticed this at my local B&M, too. Seems every time I'm browsing in there some kid walks in [looking poor as most kids are] and buys a bar of copper. I don't get it. Great for conducting electricity and residential plumbing. Not so much for bullion investing. But try telling that to all the folks out there who keep stealing copper pipes and fixtures from construction sites across the country. It's been happening for years and still continues, though not as often as 2008-09. >>

Most of the copper theft is from abandoned buildings rather than construction sites.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire