Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

NEW AND IMPROVED UPDATE ON BLAZE - IN FIRST POST - BG Trivia Give Away - Ended Winners in last post

Just to give everybody a new and improved update on Blaze. He is doing real good. He is now walking completely on his own. Still a little shaky and tires easily, but completely mobile on his own. As a matter of fact, we are leaving him home alone (with the company of Onyx, our 3 year old black lab) all day today for the first time since his diagnosis. I'm a little nervous about it, but I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Oh yeah, his sugar levels have been holding steady between 80 and 120. This morning he was at 117. Pretty good numbers. Right where we want to keep them. image

Thank you so much for all the most kind and heartfelt inquiries and well wishes about Blaze. This just goes to reinforce to me what a wonderful bunch of folks you all are. image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I have taken part in many of the generous give aways hosted by members of these boards, I felt it was about time I hosted one of my own. image

This will be a “trivia” question type give away, but may be a little different than you have seen before. The subject of my “trivia” question is something that is a very big part of my life right now. As you may know, I have 2 Labrador Retrievers. One of them has recently been diagnosed as diabetic. image He and his diabetes are the subject of my trivia.

To enter this give away, just post your guess to my question. Please limit yourself to one guess only. I will keep this open until 7:00 PM on Wednesday, 5/8/02. At that time, the three people who have guessed closest to Blaze’s actual BG reading will be the lucky people. image

The prize:
1 French ½ Franc coin (KN 931.2)
1 French 1 Franc coin (KM 925.2)
1 French 10 Francs Spirit of Bastille coin (KM 964.1)
1 French 10 Francs coin (KM 940)

And now the question:
What will Blaze’s blood glucose level be at 6:30 PM on Wednesday, 5/8/02? image
currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay

Comments

• Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    I'll disqualify myself since I have talked to you about Blaze image I hope he is doing better now.

Susan

• Options
    You are more than welcome to still enter, if you wish, Susan. Our previous discussions about Blaze will probably not give you an advantage on his BG reading two days from now. image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    In that case, I'd love to enter image My guess is 185. Thanks for the great giveaway!!

Susan

Edited to change amount. Good luck to Blaze!

My husband has diabetic neuropathy also. It is in his feet.

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    My guess is 107 mg/dl
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    My guess is 139.

Thanks!

Geoff
  • Options
    115?
    BTW, what's the usual range from best to worst? Maybe I should call a vet?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Good auestion, Brad.

Normal range is between 60 and 120. Keep in mind that he was just diagnosed and started his insulin 1 week ago today. His readings on Thursday, 5/2, were in the 400's. He still can't walk on his own because of diabetic neuropathy. image

With this new information, anybody who already guessed (before this post of mine), feel free to edit and change your guess if you want.

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    I am glad you gave that hint as I knew nothing about a bg reading. Based on your information I will guess 376
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    I guess 267. Hey! I should do this for my roommate, who is also diabetic!

Let's face it, if you can't laugh about it, it'll just rip you apart!

I admire your humor in the face of adversity!

Madeddie
    "The more I know, the less I understand"

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i should cheat and ask monstavet for some help, but i'll say 189 on my own. i hope your pooch recovers. my dad was just diagnosed as being diabetic at the ripe old age of 75. he had to stay in the hospital for 4 days and kind of freaked out. he hadn't been in a hospital as a patient for over 50 years!!
  • Options
    223 and my best wishes to Blaze and you.
    Home brew is best - Never drink alone
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    222... and the best to Blaze!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    My guess is 200, good luck with the treatment!

• Options
    225 and get well soon Blaze!!!!
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    120? I hope you get well Blaze!

Thanks for the chance.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    sorry to hear about blaze, I decline from guessing.......the glucose reading, guess I must really like dogs and I don't want to guess on its illness, just get well!image
    Maria
    [New Zealand]
  • Options
    oh my.......I'm so sorry to hear this! geez I'm kind of ashamed to guess at this too, so I'll guess a good level and hope his medication is doing the trick. I'll say 85 please be 85..not for my sake for Blaze's! Best wishes Blaze...
    If you give up your rights, in order to maintain your freedom. You will most likely end up losing both!
  • Options
    AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭

Cary
    Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria
  • Options
    Just a wild guess from me is 285.

I hope it works out for him. Is the tteartment usually sucessful? I don't know anything about this problem in animals.

Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Small cents - ain't they beautiful!
  • Options
    I'll take 341 but if I win I'll only take the Spirit of Bastille coin because I think I have the others and there can be 2 winners image I hope he gets well and on his feet soon! Thanks for the entry image

-Phoenix
    image Two addictions- coins!!! And SMILEYS. I couldn't quit either one even if I wanted to! image
  • Options
    I'll say 244.
    Thanks
    ~ Robert
    R29Neo@aol.com
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

No guess for me, but good luck with your dogs!

am
    100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Good trivia, I'll guess 119. at least that is what a human should be at. Wish me luckimage
    a great penny collection is the foundation for all other coins
  • Options
    My guess and I do hope it's better then this is 288

Mark
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    211, but it is only a guess.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    My guess is 172
    Rich
  • Options

Troy
  • Options
    I'll guess 290.

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    Ok, it's past time to end this give away. We took Blaze's BG reading at 6:30 PM and then compiled the list of everybody's guesses. Before I reveal who the winners are, I just want to thank everybody for entering and for all the nice wishes for Blaze's recovery. image I read him all the entries and he wagged his tail at the ones he liked image and grunted at the ones he didn't like image. He wasn't real fond of bstat1020's guess image. As a matter of fact, he gave a big grumbling sigh when he heard it. image

Here goes. Blaze's BG reading at 6:30 PM this evening was 172.
    The three lucky winners are:
    rtgjeg (right on the nose) 172 image
    luvdawgs 185 image
    keets 189 image

If the three winners will please PM me with their addresses, I will get their coins ready for shipping.

Thanks a bunch guys and gals! image
    Beth & Blaze image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    Woo-Hoo! His insulin is helping!!!!!!! Is he starting to level off???? I sure hope so! How are his motor skills coming along?! Give him a good scritch for me, please and thanks!!!!!!!

Madeddie
    "The more I know, the less I understand"

• Options
    So glad to hear Blaze is doing better!!! Thanks again for the the great giveaway. Can't believe I was one of the winner image

I PM'd my address. I wish continued success to you and Blaze.

Susan

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2Lab:
      My Pooch Wishes Your Pooch a Speedy Recovery. Sure Looks like He is on the Way.image
        Ken
      1. Options
        That sounds to me like a good improvement.

I sure hope all gets a lot better for him.

ps: nice giveaway even if I didn't win!

Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
        1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
        "A work in progress"

Wayne
        eBay registered name:
        Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
        e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
      2. Options
        Very encouarging, Beth! I'm glad I lost because I was too high!
        Home brew is best - Never drink alone
      3. Options
        Beth,

Received my very pretty French coins today. Thanks so much image Very nice looking coins!

Susan

4. Options
        Beth,

Got the coins today in the mail. Thanks bunches. I hope Blaze continues to improve.
        Rich
      5. Options
        Hi all,

Since everybody was so kind upon hearing of Blaze's illness and sent their well wishes to him, I thought you all might be interested in hearing the latest update.

His sugar levels have been consistently below 150 for almost a week now. He has enough strength in his front legs to get into a sitting position. His spirits are real good.

But the best thing is, he stood up on his own today and took two steps by himself! image I was absolutely estatic to see him do that. He was also very proud of himself. image

Thanks for listening guys. I just had to share that good news with everybody!

Thanks,
        Beth & Blaze image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
      6. Options
        That's wonderful news!! So glad to hear that image

Susan

7. Options
        Awesome!! I hope he keeps this pattern. Keep us updated. image
        image Two addictions- coins!!! And SMILEYS. I couldn't quit either one even if I wanted to! image
      8. Options
        Good to hear, I worked with my cat (who was brittle) for about 2 years and had that little booger regulated really well. Just be sure Blaze eats regularly, I had problems wit my cat when he did not eat enough, then the insulin was too much for him.
        Good luck.
        "Knowledge without wisdom is folly."
      9. Options
        Let's shoot this up to the top one time... imageimageimage

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
      10. Options
        Glad to hear your lab is doing better. I have chocolate labs myself, they make wonderful family members. image I'll guess 118 just to be in but really wrote to say I'm happy to hear that everything is going better.
        a great penny collection is the foundation for all other coins