Home Precious Metals

delete

fu
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shop elsewhere.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    shop elsewhere.

Like I said: You might say, all this over a few bucks??? Buy it if you want it. The point is, people are such bs'ers that they've got themself fooled into thinking what they're saying is the truth.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of jokers on the seller side of Ebay as well. Sounds like this guy isn't worth the trouble.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get what your saying, maybe you ought to spell it out for him like you did for us.
    Perhaps his math works out differently for reasons unknown to you.

JC

edited: Just because image
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Paypal fees drop with seller's volume so he could be paying 2.1% or lower. Many sellers also enjoy a final value fee discount of 20%. I don't know what's being shipped but a few ounce package with signature confirmation shipped through Ebay is under $5. Shipping cost would increase if off Ebay as well as it being more of a hassle to process the order. Even if you can figure the seller's exact cost of selling it on or off Ebay, why must 100% of the off Ebay savings be passed along to you. As a seller if I'm making the same either way I would much prefer the sale to be on Ebay due to ease of order processing. Even if I could make a buck or two more off Ebay I'd still prefer to process an Ebay sale.
    You forget that the seller of something you want is in the driver's seat.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Question....is making an offer outside of eBay for an item listed there legal/kosher/against the rules or whatever?
    I don't know...that is why I am asking.
    This plus the "he's obliously lying" makes this whole thing smell bad.
    JMHO!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
    it's against ebay policy to use their message system to try to move the sale off ebay. Unless you and the other party are talking about a completed sale between the two of you the message system will not allow you to send a message with an email address or a phone number in it. However, many items on ebay are also available through other venues and this is not against ebay policy. If ebay catches a message attempting to move a listing off ebay, they usually take action against the violator. Keep in mind that anytime you bring ebay into a claim they look at all your messages.

Question....is making an offer outside of eBay for an item listed there legal/kosher/against the rules or whatever?

No, it's not illegal. Does eBay allow it? No, because when you send a message via eBay with certain key words in it, they block it and you have to ask the question formatted differently for it to go thru. Here's the thing though, the seller told me that he intentionally puts high BIN prices out there with the intention of it all to advertise what he has, therefore, he WANTS to do transactions outside of eBay.

Paypal fees drop with seller's volume so he could be paying 2.1% or lower

I do not consider him to be a high volume seller that could take advantage of this, he usualy has 0-15 things listed at any given time...not hundreds at a time.

I don't know what's being shipped but a few ounce package with signature confirmation shipped through Ebay is under $5

From my personal experience because I sell on eBay, this is incorrect. Under 13 oz's going First Class with signature confirmation cannot be done under $5. It's typically closer to $7. Not arguing over the fact that it's $2, but in quantity, it adds up as unnecessarry charges to the seller. I dont feel that I should have to foot the entire bill for shipping just because I am offering something on the internet, that's ridculous of people to even ask. I'll meet them halfway or so, but I rarely, if ever offer free shipping when selling on eBay unless I just reallyy want to move the item.

<< <i>after 6% eBay fees + 2.9% PP fees nets him $341 >>

combined ebay/paypal fees on the $375 are 12-13%. He's looking at a net close to $227.

Ebay's fee calculator

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    this thread is hilarious...highlight entertainment of the day... better than abbott & costello...
    keceph `anah
    I don't know what's being shipped but a few ounce package with signature confirmation shipped through Ebay is under $5

From my personal experience because I sell on eBay, this is incorrect. Under 13 oz's going First Class with signature confirmation cannot be done under $5.

If you use Ebay shipping a 1st class mail package with Signature Confirmation from 3oz to 9oz runs $3.89 to $4.93.

If you go to your post office and pay retail rates it is higher.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable.... between the crooks, cheats and no-nothings, plus the fees and rules... well, I just do not do ebay and really am amazed that so many do. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>I don't know what's being shipped but a few ounce package with signature confirmation shipped through Ebay is under $5.
    From my personal experience because I sell on eBay, this is incorrect. Under 13 oz's going First Class with signature confirmation cannot be done under $5. >>

I can send a 3 oz first class bubble envelope for $1.97. Adding sig. conf. will keep it under $5. That said, the need for sig. conf. with an ebay sale is a paypal requirement for items valued at $250 and over. The added insurance that goes along with the required sig. conf. will prevent postage from being under $5. Looks like everybody is correct.

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Can be done for under $4 utilizing online shipping.
    $1.69 for up to 3oz
    $2.20 for sig confirmation
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, one must search diligently to find some angst. Luckily, one can often find ample amounts vicariously, with just a few clicks and keystrokes. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

combined ebay/paypal fees on the $375 are 12-13%. He's looking at a net close to $227

I think you meant $327.
    If you list the item in the coins>bullion category, and have an eBay store, which he does, it's only 6%...then the 2.9% for PP. That's 8.9% and because like I said he's not a high volume seller, this is most likely the bracket he falls into. $375 BIN nets him apx. $341 BEFORE his shipping cost. So with everyones input on the shipping part of it all, best case is $336 for this particular item and that would be him sending it UNinsured.

But he wont sell it to me outright for $345 because he says has a buyer "lined up" at $360. But yet I'm the only one hounding him about it obviously because he has relisted it about 6 times that I'm aware of...IDIOT!
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Go grab a beer and forget about it. There are too many idiots on ebay - just move on
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Go grab a beer and forget about it. There are too many idiots on ebay - just move on >>

QFT

Cheers image

It's all about what the people want...

<< <i>combined ebay/paypal fees on the $375 are 12-13%. He's looking at a net close to $327 >>

I stand corrected (once again).

I was using the fee calculator that has not been updated.. Those that still use this one that was popular here on the boards may want to discard it and start using ebay's updated calculator.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

So at $345 you save $30 off the BIN but he only makes $9 extra and gets to lose all seller protection ? image

So at $345 you save $30 off the BIN but he only makes $9 extra and gets to lose all seller protection

Ahh the joys of selling on eBay, but at least I'm offering a very fair CURRENT value. If he's living in "speculation land", then let him re-list another 6 times and I'll say to him at that point...you're such a dumbarse, you could've had my money in your pocket 12 times ago. lol

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So at $345 you save $30 off the BIN but he only makes $9 extra and gets to lose all seller protection ? image >>

I've always bypassed Ebay and used Paypal seller protection whenever I've needed it. Does having Ebay+Paypal protection really add anything? I'd honestly like to know, as I am currently negotiating with a new/total unknown tome buyer from the USA (I'm in Canada) who wants a couple gold coins worth $1000+ in total. Seems legit, but it would be through Paypal only, no ebay.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
    Paypal seller protection(without Ebay involved). https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-learn-more
    It's pretty much the same as Ebay's seller protection http://pages.ebay.com/paypal/seller/ but neither one protects seller from item not as described claims. If guy opens your box and said your gold coins contained chocolate you'll have the same fight with both. At least with Ebay involved you can get some sense of the kind of person you're dealing with based on their feedback.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is all of this drama over $20?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

AGAIN, someone doesn't read everything said. UNBELIEVEABLE! Go back and re-read what I wrote coho
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AGAIN, someone doesn't read everything said. UNBELIEVEABLE! Go back and re-read what I wrote coho >>

I read what you wrote, and frankly Im amazed this is so important to you.

Go play catch with your kids. I guarantee you will see how meaningless worrying or griping about other people will become.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Follow the math on all this.

After multiple times listing the item he is now down to a BIN of $375, which after 6% eBay fees + 2.9% PP fees nets him $341...and that's before the free shipping he offers, which will cost him another $10 or so most likley. So he's down to $331 NET selling thru eBay. With me so far?

I've inquired about the item each and every time he's relisted offering $345 outside of eBay so there would be absolutely no fees to him, except for his shipping cost. So doing it that way, he would net $335. Key thing...he IS willing to go outside of eBay to do the transaction.

He sends me an email that he has a buyer lined up at $360 DIRECT...no fees, except his shipping and if I can match that I can have it since I inquired first. So after shipping, he's netting $350. gee, thanks buddy image

ok, here's the point. If he claims he can NET $350 selling it outside of eBay/PP and has a buyer lined up, but only get $331 going thru eBay/PP...WHY DOES HE STILL HAVE IT LISTED ON EBAY?

I did fall off a truck one time, but it wasn't yesterday. I'm tempted to BIN thru eBay at $375 just so he will lose $20. But then again, he's obvioulsy lying about having someone lined up for $360 DIRECT in his attempt to NET $350 out of me because I've asked about it several times. Think about it, there's a reason he hasn't sold it yet and has to keep relisting it.

You might say, all this over a few bucks??? Buy it if you want it. The point is, people are such bs'ers that they've got themself fooled into thinking what they're saying is the truth. image >>

Whatever you do please don't send him here.image
    Go play catch with your kids. I guarantee you will see how meaningless worrying or griping about other people will become.

Excellent comeback...touche, and advice taken to heart. image