Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's up with the Donald E. Spence collection?

I just looked at the registry and noticed his sets are updated "retired". Do think he's just done with the registry or is there going to be a whale of an auction?

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very interesting to hear. He was not at the PSA luncheon for the registry awards.

I am anxious to see how this unfolds.

Thanks for starting this thread and bringing this potenial development to light.
  • Options
    I noticed this as well. Seems odd..
  • Options
    Only some are retired:

des1728's Sets

- John
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Hear that he is getting out of Baseball and going all in on Wrestling and Racing

Logan
  • Options

<< <i>Only some are retired:

des1728's Sets

- John >>

Maybe he is just moving some things around. Definately quite a few there still active.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he didn't win the Registry contest.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He surprisingly sat out the recent #1 1973 set break. Maybe that's a harbinger of things to come. When you have the highest grade of about every card issued, it becomes harder and much more expensive to improve your sets. Maybe he's just content with where he's at. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll be selling everything off.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i presume there was a better deal on a building or an oilfield that day. image
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Wow, massive collection.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    His ebay account has been inactive for several months.

• Options
    I was very surprised to see this, but happily so: I found out he had retired his Reds Team Hall of Fame set because mine went from No. 2 to No. 1! Never thought that would happen with him in the lead.

df
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    This could be a huge (HUGE) development. Start saving your pennies.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I see retired is player sets, which is not very meaningful if the overall sets are still intact. I wonder why the 1959 set was retired? That seems to be the only set.
  • Options
    Whatever might be going on with Don Spence and his sets, I hope he and his family are healthy. Don has never been nothing but helpful and nice to me. Our hobby is a better place with Don in it.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Very nice man even if he is aTexas A&M grad...was able to speak to him last year at the Baltimore national and had a good conversation about college football. Also one of his family members live about 30 miles from me.
  • Options

<< <i>Our hobby is a better place with Don in it. >>

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Our hobby is a better place with Don in it. >>

If the Lone Star Collection had pictures, I'd agree more.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever might be going on with Don Spence and his sets, I hope he and his family are healthy. Don has never been nothing but helpful and nice to me. Our hobby is a better place with Don in it. >>

Totally Agree !
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Looks like he retired some more sets today. I just moved up to the #1 Bob Uecker set after his was retired. image

Jeff
  • Options
    He just retired his 1973 Topps sets.

• Options
    Wow, it looks like he's retired back to 1964 now, and has also retired his Top 20, 200, and 250 Top Sportscards in the Hobby sets. I wonder if there will be a major auction coming up similar to the Dreier collection.
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Just about all of Spence's sets have been retired now. Wonder what he has planned. image
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure he's smart enough to arrange for an orderly liquidation if his intention is to sell, but I would think that the impact to the market would exceed the impact seen from the Dreier family sale.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Investing all in; in the BITCOIN
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    His sets being retired ... Steve at BBCE planning a major announcement ... could they be related??????
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I believe Spence, at least in the 1970s, sold out to another heavy hitter. "The Hill collection" is taking over the 1970s! I think they bought the 1970 set, they have already re-registered the 1971 set, they might have bought the 1972 and 1973 set. I know that "The hill collection" bought the incredible 1976 (BBCards4U) and the 1977 (Czar) sets...I just hope I can complete the decade first before this person/group blows me away - only 34 cards left.

BTW "The Hill collection" is now revealed as the person who has been hammering on 1975 mini psa 10s! He has a set about 25% complete with an unbelievable 9.5 rating. Great to have some new blood in the set
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...I just hope I can complete the decade first before this person/group blows me away - only 34 cards left. >>

Good luck, MintMoondog. Deep, deep pockets. I believe his company is Walmart's main supplier of organic cotton. >>

Thanks Maurice, 1979s burned me, I thought it would be much easier than this image also, only need 2 "new" 1973 variations - the ridiculous gap-no gap Bahnsan and Bell, hopefully this year I'll be done with this 7 year journey.
    So you know who the "Hill collection" is? Sounds like deep pockets indeed. He has been killing me in 1975 minis when he notices the auctions. Pretty exciting though. This guy is building an incredible 1970s collection. I always thought that BBCards4U would end up with the greatest Mega-set
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I always thought that BBCards4U would end up with the greatest Mega-set >>

I've always sort of wondered what Larry's decision making process is like. He has lots of wonderful sets on the registry but he's also always got plenty of top tier stuff for sale on his site. I'm curious how he decides what to keep and what to put up for sale.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    All these guys with deep pockets you would think that they could buy a scanner or hire some college
    kid to scan and upload their cards so we can all enjoy the cards....... It should illegal to register a set with no
    scans...........Just sayin
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>...I just hope I can complete the decade first before this person/group blows me away - only 34 cards left. >>

Good luck, MintMoondog. Deep, deep pockets. I believe his company is Walmart's main supplier of organic cotton. >>

Thanks Maurice, 1979s burned me, I thought it would be much easier than this image also, only need 2 "new" 1973 variations - the ridiculous gap-no gap Bahnsan and Bell, hopefully this year I'll be done with this 7 year journey.
    So you know who the "Hill collection" is? Sounds like deep pockets indeed. He has been killing me in 1975 minis when he notices the auctions. Pretty exciting though. This guy is building an incredible 1970s collection. I always thought that BBCards4U would end up with the greatest Mega-set >>

Henry Hill? Maybe he left witness protection and is back in the racket?
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>All these guys with deep pockets you would think that they could buy a scanner or hire some college
    kid to scan and upload their cards so we can all enjoy the cards....... It should illegal to register a set with no
    scans...........Just sayin >>

Agreed.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

Henry Hill? Maybe he left witness protection and is back in the racket? >>

Doubt it since he died last year
  • Options
    1971 Topps PSA registry #1 The Hill Collection (another Spence set accounted for)
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

So you know who the "Hill collection" is? Sounds like deep pockets indeed. He has been killing me in 1975 minis when he notices the auctions. Pretty exciting though. This guy is building an incredible 1970s collection. I always thought that BBCards4U would end up with the greatest Mega-set >>

Wonder what Hill had to pay. Can not imagine that Spence would part with any of his sets but I guess everything has a price.

Mintmoondog, how has 1979 burned you? I would think it would be the easiest from the 1970s. You said you had a recent large submission that you sent in?
  • Options
    Don is des1728.
  • Options
    i hope Don is ok.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>No, it is Brady Hill's (The Hill Collection).

Don is des1728. >>

Recent purchase

He just won this item so maybe he is just going in a different direction.
  • Options
    He's been collecting Exhibits for a long time. His account had been inactive for several months.
  • Options

<< <i>He's been collecting Exhibits for a long time. His account had been inactive for several months. >>

With feedback of north of 6,000 a few buys in three months is definately inactive.

Someone told me he moved all of his Mantle's. Is that true?

• Options

<< <i>Someone told me he moved all of his Mantle's. Is that true? >>

I don't know but his Mantle player set is retired.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Was this a Spence card? It is a POP 2. It sold on ebay in a PWCC auction ending Oct 3 for $2302. A 1970 Rose PSA 10, a POP 10 also was sold through PWCC back in August-- price $4038.
    Edited to add: Spence did have a 10 of each card in his set.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Wonder what Hill had to pay. Can not imagine that Spence would part with any of his sets but I guess everything has a price.

Mintmoondog, how has 1979 burned you? I would think it would be the easiest from the 1970s. You said you had a recent large submission that you sent in? >>

Of all the 1970s sets I saved 1979 for last because I thought, like you, it would be the "easiest" set to complete. Also, there were plentiful unopened on the market. I saw vending, wax, rack etc on BBCE everyday. Several people warned that 1979 was at least as hard to find in high grade as 1977 - so I started on the set around 2 years ago. However, two things happened. 1. Bubblegumgirl ripped around 200 plus racks building his fantastic set (now over 9.70) - and as I stated this single act really dented the unopened market for this year. 2. I ripped a cut-card case and around an equivalent of a vending case (around 20 boxes) and found relatively little. All the Ozzies were O/C and most of the low pop cards were 90/10.
    I am down to chasing my last 40 cards or so, but if you have actually built a high grade set, the last 40 can be killers.
    I believe I have one full vending case, one 6-box rack case, 3 rack boxes, and somehow I won like 100 cello packs from Probstein in one auction maybe 5 years ago but I am not going to rip them. Based on all the revelations on this board about 1970s upopened these are just too valuable intact and should stay that way (I might rip the 3 loose rack boxes though and keep the sealed cases sealed). Otherwise, I'm just gonna grind out the set card by card and pay through the nose for loose racks that I will definitely rip. image

I would like to see someone put together the decade fully and it appears "The Hill collection" has both the deep-pockets and ambition to do it post-haste.
  • Options
    Tull

I just got this in my email a few minutes ago.

Did he buy some cards from Donald Spence?
  • Options

<< <i>Tull

Did he buy some cards from Donald Spence? >>

A huge chunk of Don's collection.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Tull

Did he buy some cards from Donald Spence? >>

A huge chunk of Don's collection. >>

Thanks.

Calling him Don sounds like you know him personally.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Wow.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Spence is having a revival. He recently resurrected his #1 Babe Ruth Master set.