Home Sports Talk

2013 NFL (general)

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
It's no surprise favorites went 12-4 in week 1 (that's why bookies invented lines) but most closed out in the final minutes.
The defending champs' defense appeared to be a shell of its former self and Manning took full advantage of it. 7 years after being drafted, Reggie Bush may have finally found a home in DET. JAX, CLE, and surprisingly PIT looked absolutely atrocious while NO seems to be playing with a huge chip on their shoulder. PHI reminded me of the run and shoot days, especially while trying to maintain a lead, but main difference being with a solid running game.

Then to cap it off, despite the game ending almost at 1:00 AM local time, my Texans mount the biggest comeback in the franchise's short history and pull out a last second win. Good times.

edited cuz of minor hangover and minimal sleep, but soooo worth it image
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The defending champs ARE a shell of themselves, unfortunately. I knew they would be after their post-championship fire sale.

I'm glad I invested heavily in Reggie Bush this year, along with Joique Bell as a handcuff. I knew he would thrive in Detroit, but he won't hold up, and Bell will go nuts.

The AFC North belongs to the Bengals this season, because I've never seen a worse Steelers or Ravens team, and the Browns will always suck. By the way, I'm a Browns AND Ravens fan. lol

The Saints SHOULD have a chip on their shoulder after what they went through last season. I hope they go 16-0.

The Eagles look great under their new offense, but there's no way Vick will hold up to that level of play. I give him three weeks before his ribs are broke again. Not sure McCoy will last either.

I stayed up to watch the end of the Texans game, and it was almost 2am here. Great game!!
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like my favorite team will likely have some serious passing yardage this year. If Manning stays healthy and upright, he will have plenty of time to throw to a receiving corp that looks like it could be top notch.

Season passing records for TD's and for yardage may be eclipsed by Denver this year. With his 7 TD game last Thursday under his belt Manning only needs 44 more TD passes to break the record. That is just under 3 TD passes per game.

The regular season for the 2013 NFL seasons should be a very entertaining one.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is just under 3 TD passes per game. >>

Scary thing is, he could actually do it.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    I was having a conversation with a few friends about Manning's 7 TD passes and I posed the question, how many weeks will it take Brandon Weeden to get 7 TD passes this season? More or less than 7 weeks? lol
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    One takeaway I had from Week 1 was the length of games, some of which went 3-1/2 to 4 hours long. Goddell is going to have to address this in the off-season. It will only get worse with the proliferation of high-octane fast paced offenses.

Also, I don't think Baltimore is as bad as Denver made them look. The Ravens led 17-14 at halftime and had they challenged the Welker drop, that game might have gone in a different direction. Also, Baltimore's offense was putrid without Oher in the 3rd quarter, going 3-and-out 4 times in 5 possessions. No defense is going to hold up under that kind of stress facing Denver's offense. Suggs and Dumervil will be hard for a lot of offenses to handle.

<< <i>One takeaway I had from Week 1 was the length of games, some of which went 3-1/2 to 4 hours long. Goddell is going to have to address this in the off-season. It will only get worse with the proliferation of high-octane fast paced offenses.

Also, I don't think Baltimore is as bad as Denver made them look. The Ravens led 17-14 at halftime and had they challenged the Welker drop, that game might have gone in a different direction. Also, Baltimore's offense was putrid without Oher in the 3rd quarter, going 3-and-out 4 times in 5 possessions. No defense is going to hold up under that kind of stress facing Denver's offense. Suggs and Dumervil will be hard for a lot of offenses to handle. >>

You could be right. It may take a couple games for them to mesh and replace the leadership roles of Lewis/Reed.
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>One takeaway I had from Week 1 was the length of games, some of which went 3-1/2 to 4 hours long. Goddell is going to have to address this in the off-season. It will only get worse with the proliferation of high-octane fast paced offense. >>

Prime time games are unwatchable with all the TV time outs. Goodell loves the long games as it means more ad revenue, which, as we've seen is the only thing the nfl cares about.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    The national games are especially long, but some of the "regular" games can be just as bad. The networks don't particularly like having their primetime shows delayed, and if they are going to go continue to start games at 4:25ET, and have them run through 8PM, the networks won't be happy. The NFL will have no choice but to adjust.

<< <i>The national games are especially long, but some of the "regular" games can be just as bad. The networks don't particularly like having their primetime shows delayed, and if they are going to go continue to start games at 4:25ET, and have them run through 8PM, the networks won't be happy. The NFL will have no choice but to adjust. >>

They did it for Vegas. The earlier games were overlapping with the lates, so the NFL pushed them back 10 to 15 minutes. Typically, that gives gamblers enough time to check the outcomes and then play accordingly.
    Another theory about the moving of games back is it gave guys who lost money on the morning games more time to lay bets on the afternoon ones. In any case, again, money leading the charge.
    And in other non-echo news, Suh is still a dirty player and has $100,000 less in his pocket.
    -Arian Foster's 3 seasons of workload seems to have finally caught up to him, and the Texans forcing him to split carries with Ben Tate. Fantasy owners who drafted this guy have got to be upset they didn't see the writing on the wall.
    -and I'm not sure if it counts as NFL news, as he long ago stopped being an NFL quality player, but Mark 'buttfumble' Sanchez is done for the year.

Without applying the spreads, favorites went 10-4 in Week 2 and a majority of outcomes were decided in the final minutes, seconds in some cases.

An interesting note: Texans are the first team since the 1970 merger to win their first two games on the final play.
    Favorites went 11-4 and are a combined 23-8 for the year.
    Good point/counterpoint regarding the Richardson trade:

Link

The latter summarizes it quite well.

<< <i>Maybe Richardson works out for Indianapolis. Maybe the Colts run power successfully as a means of protecting franchise quarterback Andrew Luck, and maybe Richardson benefits from having a bona fide passer in the backfield as opposed to Brandon Weeden or Jason Campbell or Brian Hoyer. Or maybe they regret it when Richardson isn’t the back they envisioned and Reggie Wayne retires and they could have used that No. 1 pick on Luck’s next great wide receiver.

But if you’re the Browns, you cut your losses and put your priorities and your money in the right place—the passing game—when rebuilding a football team. You win, regardless. >>

I understand why the KC players gave Reid a Gatorade bath but it didn't seem appropriate.

Winning the championship, absolutely. First win with a team, sure. Beating their previous team in week 3 and on the road? Meh, not so much.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ref to the Eagles, "False start...everybody but the Center."

<< <i>Ref to the Eagles, "False start...everybody but the Center." >>

That was hilarious, especially when they TV announcer had just said that same thing a few seconds before. lol

<< <i>

<< <i>Ref to the Eagles, "False start...everybody but the Center." >>

That was hilarious, especially when they TV announcer had just said that same thing a few seconds before. lol >>

Link

It took forever to find a PG13 rating of this scene since the opposing coach had some choice NSFW words immediately afterwards.
    Denver is halfway there to a "perfect" season, IMO.

Of course, any season in which Denver beats the Raiders twice is "perfect" for me, even if they lose the other 14 games.image

Still can't get over the Raider's dominance of the Broncos when I was a kid in the 1960's and early 1970's. Still waiting for the day (which may never come during my lifetime) when Denver pulls ahead of the Raiders in the total wins and losses since the rivalry began in 1960. I have not looked recently, but I think the Raiders still have about a 20 game lead in the series, all time. However since the Raiders came back to Oakland from LA in 1995 Denver has dominated the series and is up by about 15-18 games in the W column.

Go Denver.
    After tonghts game 25% of the 2013 season will be in the books.

Suprising seasons so far. Many teams which are annually viewed as contenders are thus far winless (Ravens, Steelers, Giants) and many viewed as second tier are doing very well (K.C., Miami).

Your thoughts now that the season is heading into week 5.
    At this point, DEN looks to be the most complete and dominating team. Add Von Miller and a healthy Bailey to that defense and oooof.
    Denver has flopped many, many times in the past (i.e. 1996 season losing to Jacksonville in round 1 of the playoffs; 2005 season losing to Pittsburg in the AFC Championship Game; and 2012 season losing to the Ravens) when the team was supposed to be unbeatable.

I no longer go into a season hoping/expecting Denver to win the SB Crown. Since they won two in 1998 and 1999, I am a content fan. Any additional trip to and victories in the Super Bowl for Denver is just gravy.

As for regular season play, if Denver is playing well, that makes fall Sundays very enjoyable. Denver certainly is playing very well this year so far. Unfortunately the passing defense is not playing well at this time, however it does not matter given the high scoring offense that is scorching hot right now.

<< <i>Suprising seasons so far. Many teams which are annually viewed as contenders are thus far winless (Ravens, Steelers, Giants) >>

Ravens are 2-2.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love these moronic coaches who leave key personel in ( Like Drew Brees ) late in the 4th quarter during blowout wins.

I just dont get why these guys risk season ending scenarios such as your QB or playmakers getting hurt after the game has been decided, I am not just bashing Payton I always said the exact same thing about Belichek...

Anyone have a reasonable explanation???

<< <i>Gotta love these moronic coaches who leave key personel in ( Like Drew Brees ) late in the 4th quarter during blowout wins.

I just dont get why these guys risk season ending scenarios such as your QB or playmakers getting hurt after the game has been decided, I am not just bashing Payton I always said the exact same thing about Belichek...

Anyone have a reasonable explanation??? >>

Because Sean Payton is pissed (justifiably so in my opinion) and he's laying his vengeance upon the NFL.
    When you start playing worrying about getting hurt is exactly when you get hurt.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gotta love these moronic coaches who leave key personel in ( Like Drew Brees ) late in the 4th quarter during blowout wins.

Because Sean Payton is pissed (justifiably so in my opinion) and he's laying his vengeance upon the NFL. >>

If Brees is going to run it up in the 4th quarter against a division rival like Carolina, you better believe someone in that front seven is going to go for a knee shot to try and turn the season.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Because Sean Payton is pissed (justifiably so in my opinion) and he's laying his vengeance upon the NFL. >>

If Brees is going to run it up in the 4th quarter against a division rival like Carolina, you better believe someone in that front seven is going to go for a knee shot to try and turn the season. >>

I think any player is capable of doing that, its absolutely absurd to give any argument promoting what went on in last nights game.

Its just stupid bottom line, the game was well over and Brees is throwing downfield to Colston and company.
    Last time I checked, guys on both offense AND defense get paid. The Dolphins don't want the score run up on them? Try playing some defense. I've never understood the whole 'take the foot off the gas' mentality, they're all pros out there. If this was a college game between say a top flight team and some creampuff they scheduled out of conference? That's different. This is the NFL. Want them to stop scoring? MAKE THEM. Until them? Keep the gas mashed to the floor.

<< <i>I think any player is capable of doing that, its absolutely absurd to give any argument promoting what went on in last nights game.

Its just stupid bottom line, the game was well over and Brees is throwing downfield to Colston and company. >>

Don't get me wrong, I do not condone excessively running up the score in professional sports. From a FF perspective and with several NO players, I want the points. However, when you're up 20+ and only a few minutes left on the clock, the jugular is already completely severed and it no longer resembles sportsmanship. The organization is POed and they don't care if opponents get trashed in their wake but it ain't worth the possibility of losing a key player to a season ending injury while running up the score. They can blow out teams during the regular season but it won't mean a thing ending the season without a ring. Just ask the 18-1 Pats (sorry Paul!).

One of the few issues NO has is a 'true' running game, which they could excuse for not running out the clock. I think that will (or at least should) change if Ingram can remain healthy and consistently run it through the middle.
    Bucs release Josh Freeman

Good riddance. Maybe this will be the wake up call this guy needs. He obviously thought he was untouchable coming in to this season, and has shown multiple times this year lapses in judgment. He will have a career as a backup, but unless he matures he will never get to the level he needs to.

• buntbunt Posts: 625
    shut up and go back to mom's teet.
    Possible playoff expansion

<< <i>If the new rule is adopted, it won't be put into place until the 2015 season because there are scheduling issues next season. Rather than two games apiece on wild-card weekend, each conference would expand to three games. >>

There's already too many teams in the NFL playoffs, and adding more would just water it down even more, adding in two more cannon fodder quality teams to the dance isn't going to make the playoffs any better or more exciting, just bring in more money to the NFL's already burgeoning coffers.

An idea I've heard that I like much better is expanding the season to 18 weeks, but giving teams a second bye week. I think this (along with dumping that abysmal Thursday night game) would drastically improve the quality of play as well and keep players fresher for that playoff run. As it is now, you have teams who have bye weeks as soon as week 4, and others much later in the year. How is it fair that one might match up against the other?

Yikes, the Giants are 0-6!
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Eli's been picked off so many times this season and tonight even Matt Schaub is mocking him.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>Yikes, the Giants are 0-6! >>

<< <i>Last time I checked, guys on both offense AND defense get paid. The Dolphins don't want the score run up on them? Try playing some defense. I've never understood the whole 'take the foot off the gas' mentality, they're all pros out there. If this was a college game between say a top flight team and some creampuff they scheduled out of conference? That's different. This is the NFL. Want them to stop scoring? MAKE THEM. Until them? Keep the gas mashed to the floor. >>

OK soooooooooooooo late in the game with 4 minutes left....clock winding down............Up by 17 points..............Brees steps back and looks for colston downfield...........WHAM! gets hit in the side of the knee! Back up QB comes in...Hands off repeatedly to 2nd string RB gets stuffed 3 times. Punt, Dolphins get ball chew up 4 minutes and SCORE! Now NO is up by 10 points and just over a minute left..onside kick DOLPHINS recover! They go downfield and have a last second on the clock to try and score...( DOESNT FREAKING MATTER GAME OVER REGARDLESS )

After game reports indicate Brees torn ACL out for Year.

Yea Sure I get the "Dont turn off the gas mentality" Makes a ton of sense in that game! image
    Players get hurt all the time. Even in practice. When you start worrying about getting hurt is when you will get hurt.

<< <i>
    OK soooooooooooooo late in the game with 4 minutes left....clock winding down............Up by 17 points..............Brees steps back and looks for colston downfield...........WHAM! gets hit in the side of the knee! Back up QB comes in...Hands off repeatedly to 2nd string RB gets stuffed 3 times. Punt, Dolphins get ball chew up 4 minutes and SCORE! Now NO is up by 10 points and just over a minute left..onside kick DOLPHINS recover! They go downfield and have a last second on the clock to try and score...( DOESNT FREAKING MATTER GAME OVER REGARDLESS )

Yea Sure I get the "Dont turn off the gas mentality" Makes a ton of sense in that game! image >>

Another example...why don't you pull the starters on the losing side of a blowout? You're down double digits in the fourth quarter, with no chance of winning, why not pull the starters there, too?
    LOL texans!
    So now Texans' fans have turned into Philly fans, and cheering when a player gets hurt. At least Philly fans never turned on their own guys like they did in Houston.

But when you come in as a preseason Super Bowl contender and then lose 4 straight, while getting blown out by the lowly Rams, fans are going to be frustrated, but there's no excuse for this pathetic display.

The NO v NE game was unfreakingreal. Two elite QBs going toe-to-toe and Brady was better one today. Major props to the fans that stayed the entire game. They definitely got their money's worth.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yea Sure I get the "Dont turn off the gas mentality" Makes a ton of sense in that game! image >>

Another example...why don't you pull the starters on the losing side of a blowout? You're down double digits in the fourth quarter, with no chance of winning, why not pull the starters there, too? >>

Trust me I see your point here but its totally different, it would mean your just giving up and that would make the organization look real bad.
    Tampa, JAX, and NYG are still winless. The Giants probably have the best chance to finally get off the schnide next week.
    The Texans' QB situation goes from bad to abysmal:

"Texans' Case Keenum to start at QB"

As far as the winless teams go, I hope the Bucs do go winless all year. It gets rid of Schiano, who I was hopeful for at first but whom has proven he can't coach at this level, it guarantees the number one pick, and a soft schedule next year. This team isn't doing anything this year anyways, and all the big time players are signed through 2014 anyways.

<< <i>The Texans' QB situation goes from bad to abysmal:

"Texans' Case Keenum to start at QB"

As far as the winless teams go, I hope the Bucs do go winless all year. It gets rid of Schiano, who I was hopeful for at first but whom has proven he can't coach at this level, it guarantees the number one pick, and a soft schedule next year. This team isn't doing anything this year anyways, and all the big time players are signed through 2014 anyways. >>

Doug Martin has been killing me in Fantasy, just think I chose him over Jamal Charles image
    Martin's issues stem from the overall malaise the TB offense has seen so far this year. Throw in Nicks' MRSA infection and it just gets worse.