Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1977 Topps rack pack baseball value question...

I have an opportunity to purchase a couple of racks...

I have seen the recent market prices and might buy a few to put away...

One rack in particular is of interest to me and am looking for your thoughts on what an unopened rack with Ryan / Palmer / Ryan record breaker on the top might fetch...

Thanks for your responses...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...

Comments

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    3 stars like that on top is a little of a red flag. make sure it is a legit rack

if yes--with Ryan and a record breaker....maybe $170-190 depending on centering. '77 racks are about $90--115 or so
  • Options

With 2 Ryan's on front I would be surprised if it didn't fetch 250 unless it's in horrible condition as afore mentioned.
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭
    The first thing to do is to rule out the obvious signs of the pack being fake. Which sections do each of the Ryan/Ryan RB/Palmer live in? 1977 racks were produced with * cards in the section next to the header card, no star cards in the middle section and ** cards in the far right section. So just to begin with, the pack should be set up as HEADER - RYAN - PALMER - RYAN RB. Of course, this is pretty common knowledge so the pack can still be bogus even if the stars are in the correct position. You need to look at all of the edges very very carefully to make sure that the points in the cut marks line up and that the seals look right. Unfortunately, these days, you almost have to start with the assumption that a pack like that is fake and begin the process of proving that it's not. A legit pack with those stars on top would certainly command top dollar in this market. I'd estimate $400+?

-Doug (1all)

Edit to mention that my $400.00 estimate is only after the pack is proven to be legit. I can reference a pack a year ago with Seaver/Yount/Carew on top sold on eBay for $325 before being proven to be fake and returned.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good info by Doug regarding placement of cards in corresponding sections of rack. One known aberration too of 77 racks (and also 75 racks) is where two star ** cards are housed in both middle and far sections of racks. Of course on these racks (as in all racks) cards on bottom of section should mirror sheet top cards are from, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Excellent points by Doug. I would also ask to look at the backs of the racks as they should coincide with the cards on top. So, for 1977 you should have both the top card and back card in the section closest to the header with one * by the copyright symbol, the cards in the middle with no *, and the ones furthest from the header with two **. I have also seen legit 1977 racks that have two ** cards closest to the header card, no * cards in the middle, and one * cards in the section furthest from the header. But again, the cards on back need to have the same designation.

I would also agree that a 1977 rack with those cards showing decently centered would fetch around $400 or so. Good luck with the purchase if it checks out.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the posts so far...I appreciate the info...here is a pic...

image[/URL][/IMG]

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    A related question - is there a reference that lists if a card has a *, **, or no asterisk without owning the card? Enough research can be done by finding images of the backs of certain cards, but I'm just curious if there is an easy reference that lists them all out? That would come in handy if you were looking at a random rack with no stars on the front (granted the likelihood of tampering is not as great with non-star racks).
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Can you get a pic of the backs?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A related question - is there a reference that lists if a card has a *, **, or no asterisk without owning the card? Enough research can be done by finding images of the backs of certain cards, but I'm just curious if there is an easy reference that lists them all out? That would come in handy if you were looking at a random rack with no stars on the front (granted the likelihood of tampering is not as great with non-star racks). >>

Here you go:

Topps database

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A related question - is there a reference that lists if a card has a *, **, or no asterisk without owning the card? Enough research can be done by finding images of the backs of certain cards, but I'm just curious if there is an easy reference that lists them all out? That would come in handy if you were looking at a random rack with no stars on the front (granted the likelihood of tampering is not as great with non-star racks). >>

Here you go:

Topps database >>

Wow, super cool. Thanks, Tim.
  • Options

<< <i>Can you get a pic of the backs? >>

Good question...not until I see them in hand...

- uncut

• Options

<< <i>The first thing to do is to rule out the obvious signs of the pack being fake. Which sections do each of the Ryan/Ryan RB/Palmer live in? 1977 racks were produced with * cards in the section next to the header card, no star cards in the middle section and ** cards in the far right section. So just to begin with, the pack should be set up as HEADER - RYAN - PALMER - RYAN RB. Of course, this is pretty common knowledge so the pack can still be bogus even if the stars are in the correct position. You need to look at all of the edges very very carefully to make sure that the points in the cut marks line up and that the seals look right. Unfortunately, these days, you almost have to start with the assumption that a pack like that is fake and begin the process of proving that it's not. A legit pack with those stars on top would certainly command top dollar in this market. I'd estimate $400+?

-Doug (1all)

Edit to mention that my $400.00 estimate is only after the pack is proven to be legit. I can reference a pack a year ago with Seaver/Yount/Carew on top sold on eBay for $325 before being proven to be fake and returned. >>

Thanks for all the help here...

Doug - you were spot on!

- uncut