• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is still a lot of gold in the Gulf..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a sight for sore eyes and what rick had said as well image
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    wow, can you imagine finding just one of those things? wonder how much the chains weigh
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice haul !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Amazing that 300 years of hurricanes didn't wash that stuff up to shore if it was really just 1000' offshore. Maybe the shipwreck was in a deeper trench, eh?
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of it is found in crevices of rocks.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Amazing that 300 years of hurricanes didn't wash that stuff up to shore if it was really just 1000' offshore. Maybe the shipwreck was in a deeper trench, eh? >>

Having been scuba diving, I can tell you that much of the weather you see is only above water. Once you dive into the blue it's wayyyyy calmer. I remember my third dive, it was October in the Caribbean, and it was raining a windy, ice-cold, penetrating rain. Everyone was shivering on the boat. I was the first to dive in. I couldn't wait. Immediately after I got into the water it was warm and still. Totally unaffected and we only dove 60 feet.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    For grins I managed to find NOAA's coastal depth data, and that area showed depths of 10-14 fathoms; so it was found in waters 60-84'. There was also one area where the seabed dipped 20-25' from the surrounding area.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Underwater conditions vary by depth and seabed configuration.... reefs, rocks etc all play into conditions at depth...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Good point. I was definitely near a reef. In fact it was the 2nd-largest reef in the world (off the coast of Belize) so definitely playing a role in the underwater conditions. I would understand if storms had a different effect in other 60-80' depths. But I still believe the water is generally much calmer underneath than above.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE