Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sept 1, 2013: 9 gram 10k ring and 5 silvers! Video finally added!!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
After 3 attempts and a week of trying the video finally posted. See how it looks Video Here

Haven't been getting out much lately but had the chance yesterday for a few hours. Wanted to detecting in Area A, but needed to change in the car, and Area B was a good place to change. Had plans to move to A once changed, but decided to start with B for an hour since I was already there. Within 5 minutes the sterling lock pendant popped out. The chain portion looks to be sterling too, and the links have a little design on them. Alright, guess I'll stick at site B for a bit!

A little while later an unsuspecting signal came up. Dug several inches and after the plug was lifted I could see what looked like a gold-tone ring???? It was a honker too. Figured, NO WAY it was gold. Did a quick inspection and didn't see any flaking, even took a video which is being uploaded now. Kept going. Not sure the order of the rest, so here's a summary of the others:

-1914 Canada 5 Cents
-Sterling cross with what could be diamond chips.
-I think what may be a Sterling bottom cufflink with some kind of figure carved in a pink stone. Any ideas?? It seems pretty brittle now, but pretty awesome!
-1879 and 1896 IHCs. Scraped the 1879. Upon getting it home and cleaning it I could see 187 and what looked like the top of a 2. Thought, PLEASE DON'T BE 1872, but at the same time thought, PLEASE BE 1872.
-Also some odd circular decorative piece... any ideas? I think I helped mangle it into 3 pieces. Not sure of metal... feels light like aluminum
-Lead Seal
-two-piece button
-1910 Wheat Cent
-In the last pic you'll also see an 1860 fatty IHC and 1903? V Nickel. Those were found in previous hunts.

In my excel tracking sheets I have columns that I try to find one of during each hunt. So each hunt I try to find gold, a silver coin, something silver that's not a coin, a wheat cent, and another old coin that's not silver and not a wheat. Since 2009 I've only been able to do this once. But yesterday marked the 2nd time ever that it's been done. Harder than it looks! Also this year I added a button column so that column also had an entry!

Got the ring home and cleaned it up. Stamped 10k and weighs 9 grams! Dont' know what the stone is. Anyone have any ideas?

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love the looks of that red stone in that ring. nice scores all the way around image
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Holy cats, what a haul! image You must have been dancing a jig on the way back to the car.

Could that stone in the gold ring be amethyst?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stone in the gold ring appears to be an amethyst....heck of a haul...plan B was a good choice...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Sorry guys! The picture angles do make it look purple. The stone is red. Hopefully these help while the video is downloading.
    (edited to fix typo)

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - can't wait to see the video. You are awesome at metal detecting!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the gold. How much gold does that make you for the year?image
  • Options
    What a great haul! You really have some sweet areas to hunt!
  • Options

<< <i>Holy cats, what a haul! image You must have been dancing a jig on the way back to the car.

Could that stone in the gold ring be amethyst? >>

haha, you bet there was a jig going on!

<< <i>Congrats on the gold. How much gold does that make you for the year?image >>

Thanks PPC! This is gold #2 for 2013.

<< <i>Wow - can't wait to see the video. You are awesome at metal detecting! >>

Thank you! But anyone can do the same thing. Just need some patience, a little luck, and the right areas.

<< <i>What a great haul! You really have some sweet areas to hunt! >>

Thanks Millennium, but you have been ripping it up in your area too! With your King George copper and Capped Bust coinage, that has left us all drooling.

<< <i>The stone in the gold ring appears to be an amethyst....heck of a haul...plan B was a good choice...image Cheers, RickO >>

<< <i>i love the looks of that red stone in that ring. nice scores all the way around image >>

Thanks RickO and Johnny! Hope to get back there this week.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thank you! But anyone can do the same thing. Just need some patience, a little luck, and the right areas.
    >>

I sure hope so. I still haven't found any silver or gold or old coins. I am really good at finding nails and pull tabs though. Threads like yours keep my hopes alive.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I sure hope so. I still haven't found any silver or gold or old coins. I am really good at finding nails and pull tabs though. Threads like yours keep my hopes alive. >>

The day that ring came out, 48 pull tabs were found, along with countless pieces of other junk. Just have to find the random gold mixed in between!

That reminds me, in a previous thread, you asked how the older copper coins were cleaned. Personally I use mineral oil and rub them down. Others use warm hydrogen peroxide, but I haven't had as much luck with that.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Video finally added in 1st post! I'm in my phone so hopefully it worked
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it works! Cool video thanks for posting image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum