Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why do bidders do this?

Winner of this auction messages me 20 seconds after the auction ends -

"Dear jpcarney,

Please cancel my purchase if I should win, as I bid in error. I was looking at 1956 franklin and didn't realize this was a 58

Thank you

- coin_4_sale
"

Would've been nice if he just retracted his bid before the auction ended. The auction says 1958 D in the title, in the auction body (huge type) and on the slab. Blocked just for stupidity.

Rant over. Sheesh
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.

Comments

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭
    Buyer's remorse, or "finger had a mind of its own" image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist based in SoCal.

• << <i>Why do bidders do this? >>

Because they don't get punished nearly as badly as sellers do for any mistakes they make.
  • ...let my son do some bidding and he went overboard...
    ...just realized i dont have enough in my paypal account...
    ...didnt actually need this coin...
    Blocked em all
    Millions of other fish in the ebay sea
    --Craig
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why do bidders do this? >>

Because they don't get punished nearly as badly as sellers do for any mistakes they make. >>

+1

• << <i>...let my son do some bidding and he went overboard...
    ...just realized i dont have enough in my paypal account...
    ...didnt actually need this coin...
    Blocked em all
    Millions of other fish in the ebay sea >>

Oh yeah, definitely blocked. Outted here, hope a ton of people block him.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Because they don't get punished nearly as badly as sellers do for any mistakes they make. >>

Bingo. It's happened to me too. The buyer can say pound sand and the seller is powerless.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar situation. Buyer said his son bid in error thinking he was buying a VF 30 half instead of the same grade quarter. I refunded, but I hated going back to the under bidder because they may be thinking I was using a shill or something. Luckily the under bidder was a nice collector who was more than happy to add the quarter to his set. But having to deal with stuff like that stinks. It's always something dealing with eBay.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to happen more and more now-a-days.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

• << <i>I had a similar situation. Buyer said his son bid in error thinking he was buying a VF 30 half instead of the same grade quarter. I refunded, but I hated going back to the under bidder because they may be thinking I was using a shill or something. Luckily the under bidder was a nice collector who was more than happy to add the quarter to his set. But having to deal with stuff like that stinks. It's always something dealing with eBay. >>

I offered the underbidder free shipping. Haven't heard anything yet.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that and non payers, and not a damn thing you can do about it

also have several lately run prices too high, only to send em back because they paid too much.

Had one guy recently, ran a coin way too high. He took right to limit on time to pay, then after receiving it, emailed me back to tell me he didn't like the coin, I sent him a reply to send it back , as I expected it because it sold too high, He then said, if I would come down on price, he like it then.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that and non payers, and not a damn thing you can do about it

also have several lately run prices too high, only to send em back because they paid too much.

Had one guy recently, ran a coin way too high. He took right to limit on time to pay, then after receiving it, emailed me back to tell me he didn't like the coin, I sent him a reply to send it back , as I expected it because it sold too high, He then said, if I would come down on price, he like it then. >>

agreed and block them forever and a day.
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He says you sent him a nasty e-mail and he gave you a ding on feedback........

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've made mistakes with bids on occasion. One time I wanted to bid $260 on a lot, but somehow managed to add an extra "0" which made it $2,600. image Fortunately no one bid the piece, and I got for a price I intended to pay.

On another occasion I bid on the wrong lot a couple of weeks before a lot was scheduled to close. I contacted the auctioneer, and he pulled my bid. I have to say, however, that it was well before the day and hour the auction closed
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I hate people who bid and then flake out for whatever reason it happens. Maybe they did not have the funds in the bank like they thought, maybe they simply can't read, or worse they simply found something else they would rather buy with their limited funds and then just gave you the shaft and then give you some lame excuse how they hit the wrong button. A check of their winnings on ebay will reveal this.

I just refund their money but make them agree to cancel the transaction so I get my fees back. Then I block them.

Usually the next highest bidder has stepped up and taken the item. They are usually glad to get it.
    Coins & Currency
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The American Masochist Society is having a special this weekend on ebay seller bonuses.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May not of known he could cancel his bid. Have had this happen a couple of times and I actually bought a coin myself because of that when I was new to eBay.

BTW eBay in their wisdom gives all kinds of close too items to one search now and he may not noticed the date change.
  • How do you do a bid retraction?

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My worst was, " man it was late and I was drunk. I went to retract the bid and puked on my keyboard. The keys got all stuck and now I have to buy a new keyboard"

I'm thinking... "This guy's got a smart phone".
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you do a bid retraction? >>

On the item page click on the customer support link in the upper right of the page and you should find a link for retract a bid.
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    because ebay has become a "video game". there are no real world consequences for buyer abuse.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

^ This.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay cannot make a buyer pay or make a seller deliver, they can only try to protect the money. Players need to understand this before playing. The turning point downhill for ebay was removing a seller's ability to leave negative feedback.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• well.... I would much rather have someone immediatly cancel a bid than the alternative. Namely - wait until we pull from stock, package, invoice, mark off inventory list, and ship (with risk on our end) only to THEN have the buyer get bidders remorse.
    www.CoinMine.com
  • JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe they did not know there was a retract ability ????????????
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • the number of stupid people bidding has gone up drastically in the past couple years.

I will very frequently get people who will hit a BIN shortly after a listing is posted, only to email me shortly after to tell me they mistook the denomination (happens mostly with Barber and Seated material). Seriously? The title, category, and images all show the denomination, and you couldn't figure it out?
  • CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    I could go on and on about misleading auctions and wrong pictures, and multiple item listings, blurry pics, auctions with pictures to other coins in other auctions, and then dealing with the sellers as they tell me to "use the zoom" and other things just to recoop my funds for their mistakes

Buuut, on the other hand I also have buyers who ship back my items demanding my mistake for not "grading and describing every mark or detail about the coin" and that they 10 pictures I offered were not enough ,even tho I said Plz look at the pictures and bid accordingly or etc

I guess it always goes both ways and this is where we have to remain professional
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file