Home Sports Talk
Options

2013 Patriots

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well after a crazy offseason my expectations of the Pats making another run at the Super Bowl are non exsistent, hopefully this means they will do better than I think they will like the Red Sox have been.

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I did not even renew my NFL package this year.
  • Options
    Well a nailbiter with the Bills is not the Normal type of game for the Pats but we won and thats the bottom line.

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    That was a much closer game than most thought. I didnt watch it, was Buffalo that good or New England that bad? The first
    couple of games each season seem to be pretty unpredictable for a lot of teams.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

<< <i>That was a much closer game than most thought. I didnt watch it, was Buffalo that good or New England that bad? The first
    couple of games each season seem to be pretty unpredictable for a lot of teams. >>

Buffalo svcks make no mistake about it, poor gameclock management late in the game didnt help much either.

New England is not that great on paper believe me and the fact that they almost lost is alarming however we still got Brady amd Gronk is coming back soon but I dont think it will be enough for a guarenteed trip to the playoffs.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They don't have the great receivers of past years and the ones they have are always hurt which makes it tough to win games. Buffalo should have won that game today and probably would have if they did not get so many silly penalties. Believe me I am a diehard Patriots fan but do not like what I see early on.
  • Options
    Great job with that 10.5 spread!! Freakin crap
  • Options

<< <i>Great job with that 10.5 spread!! Freakin crap >>

I thought that spread was in response to the talk of the Bills starting some high school QB but after Manuel got cleared to play I was certain the line would have gone down some?

Shame on anyone who layed 10.5
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    10 points, on the road, against a division opponent, and the season opener?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great job with that 10.5 spread!! Freakin crap >>

I thought that spread was in response to the talk of the Bills starting some high school QB but after Manuel got cleared to play I was certain the line would have gone down some?

Shame on anyone who layed 10.5 >>

The line opened at 7.5, then moved to 11 when they thought Teul or whatever his name was was going to start, moved down into the 9s when Manuel got the nod. But based on an extensive run of dominance by the Pats over Buffalo, they had to have a huge line. "History and trends:New England is a dominant 18-1 SU in the last 19 games against Buffalo and 23-2 SU in the last 25. The Patriots are also 8-1 ATS in their last nine meetings in Buffalo. The OVER is 4-0 in the last four meetings between the teams. New England has averaged 42.3 points and Buffalo 28.5."

Not saying in a million years I'm taking that action, but I can see how they got to that big a spread.

• Options
    In other news Danny Amendola is doing what he knows best and that is being hurt.

The guy is a freakin STUD in a glass body.

Soooooooooo We got Vereen out with some phantom wrist injury, I mean who breaks their wrist in the first quarter plays through it and has a game like he did?

NO Clue who Brady will be targeting in the passing game when Edelman is covered like a blanket - cant believe im typing that.

Looks like the Pets will be a tough game image
  • Options
    Kenbrell Thompkins looks poised to take up the slack IMO. He did have 14 targets in week 1.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In other news Danny Amendola is doing what he knows best and that is being hurt.

The guy is a freakin STUD in a glass body.

Soooooooooo We got Vereen out with some phantom wrist injury, I mean who breaks their wrist in the first quarter plays through it and has a game like he did?

NO Clue who Brady will be targeting in the passing game when Edelman is covered like a blanket - cant believe im typing that.

Looks like the Pets will be a tough game image >>

latest is a torn muscle in the hip. Glass!
  • Options
    Well nice win against the Bucs this Sunday however Im not sure they are much better than the Jills and the Pets...

Brady and his New Receivers seem to be getting on the same page a bit better.. actually alot better.

Im Glad Gronk has been held out, no need to bring him back too early again.

• Options
    3-0 image
  • Options
    Looking good

• Options
    I might have spoke too soon....image
  • Options
    What a great game!

Pulled it out image
  • Options
    A little late posting but this thread deserves a bump up since the Pats looked awful and lost to Cincy.

Im thinking there is ZERO chance we can trade points with NO if our defense can keep it low scoring we might have a chance, I got a little excited after we beat Atlanta however they are proving to not be a strong team.
  • Options

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a Patriot fan but that call on the missed FG in OT was the worst call I think I have ever seen in a NFL game. Horrible, terrible, stupidiest, and ridiculous. Doug
  • Options
    LOL it was such a ridiculas call, that piece of chit ref had to have had money on the game.

Im sure deep down even Rex Ryan is embaresed about it.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Was it more ridiculous than the call on January 19th, 2002?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised with the call, but not with the result. The Patriots without Wilfork and Mayo are just an above-average defensive team. Without Hernandez, Welker, Woodhead, Green-Ellis, Branch the same thing holds for their offense -- maybe they are just slightly above average. They will put on a decent show this year, but there are going to be lots of troubles.
  • Options

<< <i>Was it more ridiculous than the call on January 19th, 2002? >>

Not as important of a call but yes more ridiculas.

Get over 1/19/02 it was over 10 years ago image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had it all the way.. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I didn't get to see the play live, but apparently its the interpretation of a new rule and this is the first time it's been called but I have trouble with that call being run out at that particular point of the game.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Hey, I have nothing to "get over" as I'm a Seahawks fan. I was asking very seriously. From what I read, it reminds me of a "leaping" call from a MNF game many years ago.

• Options

<< <i>Hey, I have nothing to "get over" as I'm a Seahawks fan. I was asking very seriously. From what I read, it reminds me of a "leaping" call from a MNF game many years ago. >>

The tuck rule game was, like today's game, a correct interpretation of a bad rule.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, I have nothing to "get over" as I'm a Seahawks fan. I was asking very seriously. From what I read, it reminds me of a "leaping" call from a MNF game many years ago. >>

And I was supposed to know this from your post? I assumed you were messing around, I guess its a rule that is new and that EXACT play was the first time it was xcalled all year and it was a game decider basicaly. I stand by my statement that the ref is a piece a chit for calling it and probably had money on the game.
  • Options
  • Options
    Paul, the refs evened things up for the Gronk mugging a few weeks ago. image

Tough loss on him today. Guys going low are causing more injuries than going high.

I heard Criqui doing the game today at NE--some old school AFC stuff right there! He called the Red Right 88 play when Sipe threw that backbreaking pick about 35 years ago, that's how long he's been around, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    three points....................

the hit by Ward that knocked out Gronkowski was 100% legitimate and pretty much the way that league rules dictate a player must tackle. I talk with a good friend of mine after games every week and we are both convinced that the NFL is moving towards Flag Football. it has become pathetic and the NFL is a shadow of what I grew up with.

the play in the end zone at the end of the game was a farce. the play in question is a strategy employed by several teams, The Patriots are simply the foremost practitioner. why would Officials allow incidental/no contact the entire game and then flag it at the most crucial time?? the paranoid cynic in me says it is to ensure the Patriots a top seed.

the game has apparently gotten too fast and too sophisticated for the current Refs to be able to effectively moderate. the Coaches Challenge and some replay is a good start but tends to slow a game and halt continuity, something that I'm sure the TV Networks really encourage and appreciate. the solution is simple and two-fold: each game needs more Officials on the field and the League needs to stop making inane rules changes/additions designed to increase scoring. as it now stands, you can't hit the (Elite) Quarterback, the Fullback position has been all but eliminated and a DB has been handicapped to the point where a receiver is almost allowed to catch a pass without being hit until he completes a "Football move" ---- whatever in the hell that is!!

OK, rant complete.

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>three points....................

the hit by Ward that knocked out Gronkowski was 100% legitimate and pretty much the way that league rules dictate a player must tackle. I talk with a good friend of mine after games every week and we are both convinced that the NFL is moving towards Flag Football. it has become pathetic and the NFL is a shadow of what I grew up with.

the play in the end zone at the end of the game was a farce. the play in question is a strategy employed by several teams, The Patriots are simply the foremost practitioner. why would Officials allow incidental/no contact the entire game and then flag it at the most crucial time?? the paranoid cynic in me says it is to ensure the Patriots a top seed.

the game has apparently gotten too fast and too sophisticated for the current Refs to be able to effectively moderate. the Coaches Challenge and some replay is a good start but tends to slow a game and halt continuity, something that I'm sure the TV Networks really encourage and appreciate. the solution is simple and two-fold: each game needs more Officials on the field and the League needs to stop making inane rules changes/additions designed to increase scoring. as it now stands, you can't hit the (Elite) Quarterback, the Fullback position has been all but eliminated and a DB has been handicapped to the point where a receiver is almost allowed to catch a pass without being hit until he completes a "Football move" ---- whatever in the hell that is!!

OK, rant complete. >>

What, you don't like 90 TDs in ONE day?? The NFL has turned into a video game, much to the dismay of this former fan.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Not to de-rail this Pats thread, but I'll jump on board the officiating too.

The NFL has to address the pass interference situation in the off-season. I heard a stat where pass attempts are up 10% from 5 years ago, but PI calls are up 63% (!!!!) in that same time. It has gotten to the point where every time a ball falls incomplete, I expect a flag to come out. The PI on the Browns in the end zone was a total farce.

If they are going to call every ticky-tack incidental contact a penalty, they have to resort to the college rules and make it a 15 yd penalty. They also need to stop calling illegal contact on DBs and linebackers when WR's/TE"s run full speed into THEM.
  • Options

<< <i>three points....................

the hit by Ward that knocked out Gronkowski was 100% legitimate and pretty much the way that league rules dictate a player must tackle. I talk with a good friend of mine after games every week and we are both convinced that the NFL is moving towards Flag Football. it has become pathetic and the NFL is a shadow of what I grew up with. >>

I didn't watch the play, but he wasn't flagged for the hit was he?

<< <i>the play in the end zone at the end of the game was a farce. the play in question is a strategy employed by several teams, The Patriots are simply the foremost practitioner. why would Officials allow incidental/no contact the entire game and then flag it at the most crucial time?? the paranoid cynic in me says it is to ensure the Patriots a top seed.

OK, rant complete. >>

The fullback has been eliminated because teams don't need to run anymore. Passing is up so the need for a FB is gone.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Gronkowski out for the year that makes Denver's prospects of winning a rematch with NE in the playoffs a little better.

Denver had better win out to finish 14-2 (they play San Diego in Denver next week, Houston on the road the following week and Oakland on the road the following week) if it wants homefield advantage in the playoffs. If Denver has to play New England I would want the game to be played in Denver and not in Foxboro.

Of course Denver has done nothing yet except qualify for the playoffs. It can still lose the Division title, can slip into a wild card slot, can lose in the Black Hole in Oakland [is has done so, many times] and it can be another one and done in the playoffs.

Denver's season has been fun to watch so far this year and with a few changed plays it could be 13-0 right now instead of 11-2. It has shown an ability to score in droves in the second half of games. Just wish that it would do so in both halves and not make mistakes that allows its opponents to stick around.
  • Options

<< <i>With Gronkowski out for the year that makes Denver's prospects of winning a rematch with NE in the playoffs a little better.

Denver had better win out to finish 14-2 (they play San Diego in Denver next week, Houston on the road the following week and Oakland on the road the following week) if it wants homefield advantage in the playoffs. If Denver has to play New England I would want the game to be played in Denver and not in Foxboro.

Of course Denver has done nothing yet except qualify for the playoffs. It can still lose the Division title, can slip into a wild card slot, can lose in the Black Hole in Oakland [is has done so, many times] and it can be another one and done in the playoffs.

Denver's season has been fun to watch so far this year and with a few changed plays it could be 13-0 right now instead of 11-2. It has shown an ability to score in droves in the second half of games. Just wish that it would do so in both halves and not make mistakes that allows its opponents to stick around. >>

Manning is awesome but that D is mediocre at best. If it weren't for TDs on turnovers vs NE, that game would have been a blowout for NE.

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Sadly, the AFC is so weak right now with Gronkowski going down, Denver is pretty much set up to stroll through the playoffs.
  • Options
    Grote 15:

Very true. When I watched the first half of the Denver-NE game and realized that 17 of the 24 Denver points came about directly from NE turnovers I just knew that Denver was going to be in trouble in the second half it if let Brady connect with his receivers.
  • Options
    Im not adding much to this thread other than an occasional bump up, basicaly because I have zero Super Bowl expectations with this team this year but I thought the Sox were going to finish 3rd or 4th in their division so who knows I mean the impossible does happen in the NFL and things that should happen dont and vice versa.

The hit on Gronk was 100% a clean hit and the DB was 100% correct in saying that the NFL WANTS those hits, I mean if he hit him high he would have gotten a fine- the NFL created this monster and now everyone has to deal with it.

The NFL is EXACTLY like Madden on the XBOX, stupid stats and no defense in the majority of the games, all these people that want to stick their nose into the game and make it "Safer" are all out of their minds and are on the fast track to just ruining the game.

The people who make the rules in the NFL are a complete joke and have no bussiness being allowed to impliment their STUPID BS rules.

Good couple games by the Pats they have been putting on a good show while getting devestating injuries to key players and its too bad but the Pats have had their share of luck although their bad luck has caught up with them so I believe its just about 50/50 even as far as good/bad luck that they have had in the Brady era, one thing that I will continue to complain about is the 2 headed monster of Belichek and Kraft one thinks he can win all by himself and the other one is too cheap to get big name players in Foxboro.
  • Options
    Oh I forgot the Pats have a first round bye image

GO PATS!!! image
  • Options
    No Big deal just playing in the AFC Championship game against the Broncos image

GO PATS!!! image
  • Options
    [i basicaly because I have zero Super Bowl expectations]

Paul, it's like fantasy football for you--every move or declaration you make has the opposite effect! LOL!!

• Options

<< <i>[i basicaly because I have zero Super Bowl expectations]

Paul, it's like fantasy football for you--every move or declaration you make has the opposite effect! LOL!! >>

The only difference is Im not stressing about this game like I do Fantasy ( Believe me? )
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>[i basicaly because I have zero Super Bowl expectations]

Paul, it's like fantasy football for you--every move or declaration you make has the opposite effect! LOL!! >>

The only difference is Im not stressing about this game like I do Fantasy ( Believe me? ) >>

I know that feeling! image

• Options
    If the line is only -5 Denver, then that's saying a lot for the Patriots, if the home team gets an automatic three points.
    That means the odds makers don't feel that Denver is a field goal better than the Pats on a neutral field.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Blount keeps mowing down hapless linebackers and defensive backs, I REALLY like the Pats chances to win SB #4!!!
  • Options
    buntbunt Posts: 625
    Kudos to my 'friend' perkdog - didn't think the Pats were going to get this far this year - hope they lose bad this weekend - but if not - congratulations
  • Options

<< <i>Kudos to my 'friend' perkdog - didn't think the Pats were going to get this far this year - hope they lose bad this weekend - but if not - congratulations >>

Well I didnt think they were going this far either, and Thanks ( I guess LOL )

Either way its been fun watching them this year, much more fun than I thought. image
  • Options
    I would like to state with confidence and certainty that Denver will dominate the Patriots this Sunday, but I am not blind to reality. Denver has had problems with the Patriots over the past few years, it's defense this year has not been very good and Manning has a mediocre post season record.

I just hope the game is a good one, with lots of offense from both teams. Got to entertain the fans.

Whoever wins the AFC title will be labelled a sacrificial lamb with no chance to beat the winner of SF v Seattle game in the Super Bowl. There appears to still be an NFC bias when it comes to the Super Bowl.