Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PROOF Mint Error ..... 2007 Thomas Jefferson Dollar Struck in Scrap PF69 Ultra Cameo

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking at listings on the internet and noticed this really cool proof error coin that I recognized. I saw it at a show in Al Levy's Inventory a year or so before he passed. RIP Al.

Now our own goodmoney4badmoney is auctioning off this piece which I want. (the really funny thing is that when he listed the coin, he thought of me and that I might bid on it)

I win the coin and I am extremely happy with it as it is super cool and super rare.

This coin goes into my son's birth year error coin collection which is extremely nice considering the modern date.

This is a very large major error for a proof coin …

PROOF 2007 Thomas Jefferson Dollar Struck in Scrap Mint Error PF69 Ultra Cameo

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! That IS major!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that coin had issues!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool..congratulations....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a proof set no less. Those are supposed to be inspected! Quite a find.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Amazing that is a proof. Not like the millions that plop into bags, that one got inspected!
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been waiting to see your photo, and it looks great!
  • Options

<< <i>I've been waiting to see your photo, and it looks great! >>

Thank you and thank you very much for the coin.

I had always regretted not buying it from Al.
  • Options

<< <i>Amazing that is a proof. Not like the millions that plop into bags, that one got inspected! >>

Exactly, and this one is so large.

Could be the only one (proof) in the series and I'll bet for sure it's the largest image
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that both the seller and I agree that NGC got this one wrong with the struck in designation

It is actually a rolled in error, that is the metal was rolled in the sheet of dollar stock before the blank planchet was punched.
  • Options

<< <i>I forgot to mention that both the seller and I agree that NGC got this one wrong with the struck in designation

It is actually a rolled in error, that is the metal was rolled in the sheet of dollar stock before the blank planchet was punched. >>

I am not sure of that. The way the arc ends at the rims makes me think the arc was above the surface before the upsetting process. Will study it some more.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have to think that if that arc had been rolled into the planchet strip prior to the blanking, the ends of the arc would simply end where the planchet ended. With all that distortion, it was there after blanking and before upsetting.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof error coins are tough to find, and a major one at that. Nice coin!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool! I approve.
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    If the embedded matter is reasonably thick and of approximately the same density as the coin, then you should be able to use weight to discriminate between a piece of rolled-in scrap and a piece of struck-in scrap. If it was rolled-in, the coin will weigh approximately the same as a normal coin. If it was struck in, then the coin will be heavier than a normal coin.

Generally, rolled-in scrap splits the clad layer, exposing some of the copper core on either side. Since the core is not exposed, I would think this has been struck into the coin.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    Thank you Mike and Tom (with your first impression), and upon closer inspection I think I agree with your assessment.

I was more focused on the struck they wood error. BTW, what do you think of it?

I am very interested in yours and Fred's confirmation.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!! That's huge!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you Mike and Tom (with your first impression), and upon closer inspection I think I agree with your assessment.

I was more focused on the struck they wood error. BTW, what do you think of it?

I am very interested in yours and Fred's confirmation. >>

I like them both! But the Proof has to be the tougher coin.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Another dramatic error. It was mentioned how can a coin like this get past the inspectors and into a proof package? Good question. Although they do not receive the scrutiny of say an proof SAE, gold or platinum coin, they still get a cursory look see and this one was simply missed, an error of an error.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    way cool
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing find!
    Congratulations and super image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome looking coins. These are some very interesting Presidential Dollars you've been posting image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Way Cool! Congrats on a super neat error! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    My reasoning for thinking it was rolled in is because the scrap piece is exactly the diameter of the coin and abruptly ends at the rims. Additionally the scrap piece has fully the appearance of a proof planchet on the unstruck areas, even where copper is exposed. This is why I think it was rolled in the strip and then punched and prepared as a proof planchet with the piece intact.
  • Options
    The U.S Mint does not make mistakes.
    Good thing huh.
    Neat coin.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a very similar piece on a Proof
    President, except the piece fit into the
    void on the coin, and lifted up very easily.

The shape was very close to this one.

It was 'struck in', not rolled in, imo, because
    the whole nice piece popped right off the coin's
    surface, very easily.

I sold it at the ANA in Philadelphia 3 years ago.

It was a Madison, I believe, but I'm not sure.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Why do all my Proof sets have to be stinkin' perfect?!!?!?! image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very interesting proof error coin. Thanks for sharing the coin and the background story with us.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, neat
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    thats a wicked cool score. wtg image
  • Options
    double post sorry.