Home Precious Metals
Options

Problem with my Provident Metals Order

Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
Shorted me one silver eagle. Roll is damaged:

I've counted it, only 19 coins in the roll.

Comments

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    How did the box look? Was there any open slots that the coin could have fallen out of? Was the roll still in tact as the pictures show?
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes when you contact them.
  • Options
    Postal box had no issues. I've kept it.

Called them right away, but they are closed on Saturdays. Emailed them info and photos.
  • Options
    I use them all the time and they will make it right...... I even received a roll with a blank planchet in the roll. I thought it was cool so I kept it. That told me the tubes are machine loaded and then put on a shelf without visible inspection.....

Tom
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't believe they would have packed that damaged tube for shipment. Possible that PO repackaged after damaging? Also a normal tube looks like it has room for one more coin at the top of the stack, is it possible that the coins got pushed to the top of the tube and the extra space is now in the middle of the tube? I vote PO damage and repackaging. Send Provdent a pic of the package and they can verify if it was repackaged.

Your pic reminds of why one should not send more than one ASE tube in a small flat rate box. Any real weight in a small flat rate box catches most PO employees by surprise and they drop it. When shipping quantity of ASE tubes medium flat rate is worth the extra six bucks. Not saying that Provident used samll flat rate priority mail.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That tube received one hell of a whack after it got sealed. The filament tape appears to be torn & not cut. If it was PO sorting machine damage, the PO would have indicated so. My vote is for machine damage at APMEX.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>That tube received one hell of a whack after it got sealed. The filament tape appears to be torn & not cut. If it was PO sorting machine damage, the PO would have indicated so. My vote is for machine damage at APMEX. >>

Why would APMEX be using a machine to load tubes when they come to APMEX already loaded in monster boxes?

• Options

<< <i>I use them all the time and they will make it right...... I even received a roll with a blank planchet in the roll. I thought it was cool so I kept it. That told me the tubes are machine loaded and then put on a shelf without visible inspection.....

Tom >>

This would explain things. I hope you're right.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I use them all the time and they will make it right...... I even received a roll with a blank planchet in the roll. I thought it was cool so I kept it. That told me the tubes are machine loaded and then put on a shelf without visible inspection.....

Tom >>

This would explain things. I hope you're right. >>

I think they were referring to the mint's process.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tom >>

This would explain things. I hope you're right. >>

I think they were referring to the mint's process. >>

The Mint does not put filament tape over their tubes...That's done in house via a machine.
  • Options

<< <i>The Mint does not put filament tape over their tubes...That's done in house via a machine. >>

Every sealed monster box I have opened (at least a dozen) had the same filament tape over the tube.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Mint does not put filament tape over their tubes...That's done in house via a machine. >>

Every sealed monster box I have opened (at least a dozen) had the same filament tape over the tube. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Every sealed monster box I have opened (at least a dozen) had the same filament tape over the tube. >>

image >>

Derryb is correct. I must have had a brain fart when I made that comment. image
  • Options

<< <i>Derryb is correct. I must have had a brain fart when I made that comment. image >>

True story:
    Wife: "was that a fart?"
    Me: "I hope so."

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    The sealed boxes I've seen opened, none of them had tape over the tubes.
  • Options

<< <i>The sealed boxes I've seen opened, none of them had tape over the tubes. >>

did you see them get opened or after someone had searched the tubes?
    I'm not saying they don't exist, but everyone I've opened (multiple years) had the green caps taped in place. The tape appeared to be applied the same on each tube as if done by machine.

• Options
    Same here, but no tape. I'm not doubting you, just my experience.
  • Options
    Same here, but no tape. I'm not doubting you, just my experience.
  • Options
    LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭
    so if shipping box was ok that means it was packed up like that. Terrible service
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    Every tube I have received from derryb has the tape, was well packaged and problem free! image

Haven't had any issues with Provident either - just got my most recent order the other day.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I have received many orders from Provident....all on time and problem free.
    Mistakes do occur, simple as that.
    Provident provides great service.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Provident is a competitor so I must say it feels strange defending them but.... in this age of instant information it's a sad reality that a negative experience is far more likely to get out there in internet land than do positive experiences. The threads get picked up by Google and have lasting repercussions.

And yes, I know that some do post positive experiences but far less of those threads...

The box appearing undamaged does not mean the package did not sustain severe impact.

To each his own, but at a minimum I would have waited until I spoke to someone at Provident (or any company for that matter) before sharing an experience like this.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Every mint sealed monster I've opened didn't have taped rolls. jfyi
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    "To each his own, but at a minimum I would have waited until I spoke to someone at Provident (or any company for that matter) before sharing an experience like this. "

+1
    Again, John demonstrates his impecible integrety. My hat if off to you sir!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"To each his own, but at a minimum I would have waited until I spoke to someone at Provident (or any company for that matter) before sharing an experience like this. "

+1
    Again, John demonstrates his impecible integrety. My hat if off to you sir! >>

Agree. Give them a chance to fix it before you start bashing them. I'd be very surprised if they didn't send you a new mint tube and another ASE.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Provident is a competitor so I must say it feels strange defending them but.... in this age of instant information it's a sad reality that a negative experience is far more likely to get out there in internet land than do positive experiences. The threads get picked up by Google and have lasting repercussions.

And yes, I know that some do post positive experiences but far less of those threads...

The box appearing undamaged does not mean the package did not sustain severe impact.

To each his own, but at a minimum I would have waited until I spoke to someone at Provident (or any company for that matter) before sharing an experience like this.

John >>

I completely agree. Running to the boards with an issue prior to even speaking with PM?

I have had many orders with PM. They left out a 2013 Britannia from a large order.

I call them and they said "No problem, "WE FILM THE PICK/PACK OF EVERY ORDER.

Next day, tape reviewed, Brit in the mail with apologies. I would have felt like a ahole had I

complained here.

Great company, great prices, great service. Like MCM!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>Provident is a competitor so I must say it feels strange defending them but.... in this age of instant information it's a sad reality that a negative experience is far more likely to get out there in internet land than do positive experiences. The threads get picked up by Google and have lasting repercussions.

John >>

and that includes all the petty complaints pertaining to eBay.
  • Options
    I want to know if a fellow member has a problem with a metals order but more importantly I want to know how it was handled by the seller. Probably best not to post the story until we can have the whole story. If it's necessary to post before then seeking input and advice, vendor's ID should be left out until outcome is known. The fact that it took one of my favorite sellers to help me see this is just one more reason why he is one of my favorite sellers.

• Options
    Telling the truth is bashing....

Hmmm...

Yeah right.
  • Options

<< <i>Telling the truth is bashing....

Hmmm...

Yeah right. >>

No it is not. But you only presented part of the truth. The whole story will be how Provident responds. In the meantime readers here may make a decision not to do business with Provident based on part of the story. And if Provident makes you whole (as they should) you have done them a disservice when if fact they end up providing you with excellent customer service. In essence they have received "negative feedback" that they may very well not deserve.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Telling the truth is bashing....

Hmmm...

Yeah right. >>

No it is not. But you only presented part of the truth. The whole story will be how Provident responds. In the meantime readers here may make a decision not to do business with Provident based on part of the story. And if Provident makes you whole (as they should) you have done them a disservice when if fact they end up providing you with excellent customer service. In essence they have received "negative feedback" that they may very well not deserve. >>

Oh stop. I haven't "judged" provident.

You know, just because of that response I won't tell you how Provident responds. Form your own opinion on that!
  • Options
    "You know, just because of that response I won't tell you how Provident responds. Form your own opinion on that! "

Real smooth dude.
    Opinion formed.
  • Options

<< <i>You know, just because of that response I won't tell you how Provident responds. Form your own opinion on that! >>

sorry you feel that way, but your original post ("Shorted me one silver eagle. Roll is damaged") appears to be placing the blame on Provident. The entire fault may lie with USPS and not with Provident. Maybe you are jumping the gun.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You know, just because of that response I won't tell you how Provident responds. Form your own opinion on that! >>

I've always had great service from Provident Metals so I'll just assume they'll make it right for you.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I've always had great service from Provident Metals so I'll just assume they'll make it right for you. >>

Now will never know because someone responds poorly to constructive criticism.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Your pic reminds of why one should not send more than one ASE tube in a small flat rate box. Any real weight in a small flat rate box catches most PO employees by surprise and they drop it. When shipping quantity of ASE tubes medium flat rate is worth the extra six bucks. Not saying that Provident used samll flat rate priority mail. >>

I'm more worried about the steal me message from the weight than I am someone dropping it. Sent several rolls registered that way with no issues.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Your pic reminds of why one should not send more than one ASE tube in a small flat rate box. Any real weight in a small flat rate box catches most PO employees by surprise and they drop it. When shipping quantity of ASE tubes medium flat rate is worth the extra six bucks. Not saying that Provident used samll flat rate priority mail. >>

I'm more worried about the steal me message from the weight than I am someone dropping it. Sent several rolls registered that way with no issues. >>

Anything more than two tubes I also send priority flat rate registered, but in a medium flat rate box. My point is that a lot of weight in a small box catches USPS employees off guard when they grab it and it is very likely they will drop it to the floor. The extra $5-6 for medium flat rate over small flat rate buys a lot of piece of mind and the extra weight in a larger box seems more "normal."