Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Obverse or reverse?

I have a coin on approval. It is graded pc67 with a geen bean affixed to it. The obverse is very nicely (lightly) toned, but the reverse is somewhat blotchy with a little ugly toning from 6 to 9 o-clock along the rim. Just not sure whether to pull the trigger. Its a 700 coin, not a huge dollar. How do you decide what to do? Is the nice obverse, grade, and bean overriding positives? I know, buy the coin..... the coin is nice/okay.....depending on which side you view.

advice?
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics would help, but ultimately only you can decide..
    Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    What is pc67?
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost always go with my first reaction. Either I love the coin the first time I see it or I don't. If I don't, I pass.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I can tell by the way you describe it that you are not in love. Send it back and find one you do.
    Becky
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you sure you want to ask us?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    the coin is up on a sellers website, i dont have pics, is it crass to post where the coin is for people to go see?

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right?

• Options

<< <i>the coin is up on a sellers website, i dont have pics, is it crass to post where the coin is for people to go see? >>

I think if it's on a sellers' for sale website it is ok to to share the link..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>the coin is up on a sellers website, i dont have pics, is it crass to post where the coin is for people to go see? >>

I think if it's on a sellers' for sale website it is ok to to share the link.. >>

its at Pinnacle Rarities.

free advertising I guess image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right? >>

Really? A nickname for an acronym? How precious.

Yes, I was joking. I also have disdain for that particular affectation. I find the Kool-Aid crowd uses it quite a bit.

As for the coin, it's pretty difficult to give any opinion when the type of coin isn't even mentioned and no picture is provided. But I guess if it's a pc67 and has a bean from ca, it's all good.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right? >>

Thanks, I learned something new this morning and now I have all day to learn more.
    Really great when a day starts off right. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right? >>

Yes, I was joking. I also have disdain for that particular affectation. I find the Kool-Aid crowd uses it quite a bit.

As for the coin, it's pretty difficult to give any opinion when the type of coin isn't even mentioned and no picture is provided. But I guess if it's a pc67 and has a bean from ca, it's all good. >>

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a pretty nice looking coin if it's the one I think it is.
  • Options

<< <i>
    its at Pinnacle Rarities...

>>

You're killing me...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right? >>

As for the coin, it's pretty difficult to give any opinion when the type of coin isn't even mentioned and no picture is provided. But I guess if it's a pc67 and has a bean from ca, it's all good. >>

>>

I really don't understand why people go off topic and get caustic. I am really just looking for some insight from many people more qualified, experienced than me on coin collecting. While I have collected for over 40 years, I don't clain to know it all. As for pictures, yes they might help, but the series is irrelevant. I love the obverse of this coin but the reverse is ho-hum. Simply put, I am curious as to how others address this scenario. Nothing more.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    its at Pinnacle Rarities...

>>

You're killing me... >>

DOH!!! Sorry, its the 1947 washington quarter in pcgs 67.....

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right? >>

It must be for the Kool-Aid crowd, Because I did hear Robert Chambers from The Coin Vault, using it.image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody switch to iced decaf and chill!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have to ask....then you do not LOVE it....so no, do not buy it.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right? >>

>>

I really don't understand why people go off topic and get caustic. I am really just looking for some insight from many people more qualified, experienced than me on coin collecting. While I have collected for over 40 years, I don't clain to know it all. As for pictures, yes they might help, but the series is irrelevant. I love the obverse of this coin but the reverse is ho-hum. Simply put, I am curious as to how others address this scenario. Nothing more. >>

Okay, sorry I got caustic. It sounds like the coin has an eye-appeal problem. If it bothers you now, it will always bother you. It will also most probably bother a future buyer when you go to sell it down the road.

Whenever I bought a coin that had a problem I didn't like, usually two things happened: One, I grew to intensely dislike it and two, I lost money on it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right? >>

>>

I really don't understand why people go off topic and get caustic. I am really just looking for some insight from many people more qualified, experienced than me on coin collecting. While I have collected for over 40 years, I don't clain to know it all. As for pictures, yes they might help, but the series is irrelevant. I love the obverse of this coin but the reverse is ho-hum. Simply put, I am curious as to how others address this scenario. Nothing more. >>

Okay, sorry I got caustic. It sounds like the coin has an eye-appeal problem. If it bothers you now, it will always bother you. It will also most probably bother a future buyer when you go to sell it down the road.

Whenever I bought a coin that had a problem I didn't like, usually two things happened: One, I grew to intensely dislike it and two, I lost money on it. >>

Thanks Jcarney. That is valuable input, and I am leaning this way.

• Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Just checked it out and I know for sure you can do better. I'd pass on that one.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right? >>

It must be for the Kool-Aid crowd, Because I did hear Robert Chambers from The Coin Vault, using it.image >>

Thus my disdain.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can tell by the way you describe it that you are not in love. Send it back and find one you do. >>

yep, what she said.
  • Options
    Not the Oregon I liked.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question regarding what "pc67" might mean has a legitimate basis since it may mean an MS coin or a PR coin. Regardless, if you have to talk yourself into a coin then there is little use in buying it, in my opinion. The only exceptions would be extremely rare coins or talking yourself into the financing of the coin. By the way, I have not checked out the coin and will not give a public opinion of it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What is pc67? >>

Really?

......pcgs ms 67.

You're joking right? >>

Thanks, I learned something new this morning and now I have all day to learn more.
    Really great when a day starts off right. image >>

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>The question regarding what "pc67" might mean has a legitimate basis since it may mean an MS coin or a PR coin. Regardless, if you have to talk yourself into a coin then there is little use in buying it, in my opinion. The only exceptions would be extremely rare coins or talking yourself into the financing of the coin. By the way, I have not checked out the coin and will not give a public opinion of it. >>

Excellent point Tom. Duely noted.....

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just checked it out and I know for sure you can do better. I'd pass on that one. >>

Agree, the reverse is not attractive at all. I would rather have a MS66 with killer color.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My input is this....If you are asking the question, then you do not really like the coin.... just part of it. Therefore, in my world, I would not buy it.... your world may be different...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you want someone to help you buy into your mistake. Just because JA liked it enough doesn't mean you have to.
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I have been collecting for over 40 years and I didn't know what pc67 meant either. If the coin is a proof is it a pcp67 or a ppc67?
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options

<< <i>I have been collecting for over 40 years and I didn't know what pc67 meant either. If the coin is a proof is it a pcp67 or a ppc67? >>

Please guys just use what is actually on the insert. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have been collecting for over 40 years and I didn't know what pc67 meant either. If the coin is a proof is it a pcp67 or a ppc67? >>

Please guys just use what is actually on the insert. image >>

Seemingly good advice.

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Plain and simple....you seem to have doubts about the coin and obviously are not in love with it. Pass on the coin and wait for the right one. You will know when it is the right one deep inside and will be thankful you passed the first time around. We all share this same situation in collecting and know how it feels. That is why I can give you advice without even seeing the coin. Many of our purchases have as much emotional aspects involved as they do technical.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not 100% happy with a coin....PASS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file