Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can coins in Secure holders upgrade?

I have a few coins in secure holders that I feel should receive "+" upgrade and maybe even a full point. As I understand it, the secure coins have had a computer image of the surface of the coin. So, does this mean it is forever locked into that grade?

Has anyone had a coin in a secure holder that upgraded?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jack

Comments

• << <i>Ihave a few coins in secure holders that I feel should receive "+" upgrade and maybe even a full point. As I understand it, the secure coins have had a computer image of the surface of the coin. So, does this mean it is forever locked into that grade?

Has anyone had a coin in a secure holder that upgraded?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jack >>

Hello,

Thoughts for you thanks. "All Secure coins come with the PCGS unlimited guarantee" therefore, a Secure Plus coin is not locked into a grade. The grade guarantee is interesting reading.
    From what I read/extrapolate there is about a 2 point wiggle room on either side of the grade assigned until a clear "error" has occurred. The image you mentioned is geared more to "fingerprinting" (thus preventing) tooling, artificial toning and so on - on coins previously imaged and resubmitted raw.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you crack and resubmit under the secure tier again it will/should be recognized by the fingetprint machine and will be graded the same if I understand the process correctly. If you crack and resubmit not using the secure program it will be graded on its merits.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

• << <i>If you crack and resubmit under the secure tier again it will/should be recognized by the fingetprint machine and will be graded the same if I understand the process correctly. If you crack and resubmit not using the secure program it will be graded on its merits. >>

Not sure what you just said is correctly worded, and IIRC it was said long ago that more than SC were being scanned in, before the announcement of The Big One. I think it more about recognizing the same coin if altered and less about producing the same grade again, as far as I understand it.

Best wishes,
    Eric

Went wading looking for a link to this or that with regard to your question, the guarantee and so on - a lot of fees and so on to get through esp in the general FAQ. I see the insurance declaration of value - collectors are able to discern that, but not the grade? Odd. Oh well.
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Coins submitted for Regrade or Reconsideration that are in Secure holders have the exact same chance of upgrading as coins in non-Secure holders.

The idea behind Secure is that upgrades can't happen for the wrong reasons. image

• Very helpful, Don.

Thanks,

Jack

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Don, that is exactly how I understood the process. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file