Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Okay, a question here.....

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have no idea and maybe I'm late to the party but as I was checking out Goldberg's upcoming auction's
I ran across "Wings" approved in the World Crown section......can someone explain?

If we are not allowed to mention please tell me so I can delete........don't need to be bannedimage

Comments

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Its like CAC for foreign coins.

The graders are shareholders of Red Bull.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Gold really is green when held in thin sheets to the light.

Eric
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So are Larry Michelson and Lance Tchor all that and a bag of chips in the world coin industry? If so, it just may fly. image Solid "expert" reputation seems to be the main reason why CAC took off.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

WINGS™ COINS primary business is to review World Coins, Tokens and Medals that have already been certified by PCGS, NGC, ICG and ANACS to determine if the World Coin, Token and/or Medal meets our stringent standards to receive the WINGS™ Gold Sticker indicating that the World Coin, token or medal is, in our opinion, of Premium Quality for the assigned grade.

Items that are known to be of premium quality are generally worth more than a similarly graded item that is not premium quality for the grade. In our opinion, The WINGS™ Gold Sticker makes it easy for you to easily identify a premium quality coin, token or medal.

There have been premiums and record prices for U.S. coins that have met the criteria to fortunately receive a green sticker from the company specializing in “stickering” certified U.S. coins that were graded by PCGS or NGC.

NOW FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, WINGS™ COINS is offering similar services for you, but solely for world coins, tokens and/or medals. Isn’t it time to have the WINGS™ Gold Sticker on your world items?

WINGS™ (An acronym for World Identification and Numismatic Grading Service) is the ONLY COMPANY offering these services.

WINGS™ IS FULLY INSURED!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Good info.

I did not know that! That's weird and wild stuff Ed!
    - Johnny Carson
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this from my dealer nearly 3 years ago to the day, and he almost certainly bought it from "the market", rather than through a special dealer or from WINGS directly. So they've been at this for quite some time.

I didn't pay a premium for the sticker. In fact, I got it for just a few dollars over melt. But I LOVE this coin. Is it better (worth more, more easily liquidated, command a premium) than a non-WING'd coin? Dunno. Given the choice between two equal coins, same price, same grade, one with the sticker and one without, which would you choose?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't need another opinion on a coin that I find pleasure in looking at. My opinion is the only one that counts. Does the need for these opinions possibly point to collector insecurity?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't need another opinion on a coin that I find pleasure in looking at. My opinion is the only one that counts. Does the need for these opinions possibly point to collector insecurity? >>

Could be. You might ask John at CRO, or any of the other top notch dealers who sell primarily CAC approved pieces.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen them at FUN shows. I saw a dealer that had almost ALL WINGS Coins. Not new but certainly not widely known or accepted or sought after from what I can tell....I although I only focus on US Coins.

I do find it interesting that CAC also has a GOLD sticker with about the same shape. I would think that WINGS could have done something a bit different so they are not confused with CAC? image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have dibs on stickering notes & bills

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have dibs on stickering notes & bills >>

Someone is already doing it, however to compare them to CAC would be an affront to CAC. Here is a thread on the currency side discussing it for those interested.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were offering to sticker World coins for free at the Feb 2013 Long Beach show. I didn't really see the value in it since I didn't know who these guys were so I didn't take advantage of their offer. Just another opinion sticker...
  • Options
    It has been said a coin can attain a grade in some 15 ways allowing for variables - perhaps many more. Add in the 2 price guides, auction results and the variations of insert, slab, grade, 1 of 2 stickers (1 of which comes in 2 colors), and so on. Perhaps these permutations will cater to everyone, or no one. I still think in the future everything will be white, no colors on any metal will be guaranteed, and only monster toning in old holders will sell for mars money. There is a point where streamlining gets counterproductive, to some.

Eric
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More stickers!image

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold really is green when held in thin sheets to the light.

Eric >>

Gold, and most other materials, can be made to look any color if made on the nanoscale. OT I know, but I liked your informative post and wanted to further explain.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the numismatic verification program EYES (as in my own) to decide whether or not a coin meets my own quality standards. WINGS and CAC are superfluous add-ons that serve only to jack up the price. Great for sellers, bad for collectors....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the beat goes on.....image There will be more .... I can see fifth party grading and decimal grades coming to our hobby.... patience... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And the beat goes on.....image There will be more .... I can see fifth party grading and decimal grades coming to our hobby.... patience... Cheers, RickO >>

I'm waiting for larger slabs for collectible slabs, certifying the grade of the slab itself.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm waiting for larger slabs for collectible slabs, certifying the grade of the slab itself. >>

That's good stuff...... image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And the beat goes on.....image There will be more .... I can see fifth party grading and decimal grades coming to our hobby.... patience... Cheers, RickO >>

I'm waiting for larger slabs for collectible slabs, certifying the grade of the slab itself. >>

Already have them but they are using them to grade encased GSA Morgans.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file