Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ok Large Centers , Attribute this one

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like some heavy "die polish" on the reverse.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

It can be done, but the details needed to do so are either completely missing, or are not showing in the photo (overexposure). At this point I would attribute it somewhere between Sheldon-12 to Sheldon-91. image

Is there anything remaining on the edge? If so, please post a few pictures.
  • Options
    I believe it is a Large American one cent piece.

But don't quote me.
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it is a 1794 large cent, with a Sheldon number between S-21 and 66. Beyond that it's speculation so far I'm concerned.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Well, it is a 1794 large cent, with a Sheldon number between S-21 and 66. Beyond that it's speculation so far I'm concerned. >>

Why not a 1795 or 1796 Liberty Cap?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, it is a 1794 large cent, with a Sheldon number between S-21 and 66. Beyond that it's speculation so far I'm concerned. >>

Why not a 1795 or 1796 Liberty Cap? >>

From what I can see the artwork on the pole to cap bust is in the style of the 1794, "Head of '94" cents. The 1793 Pole to Caps, 1794 Head of '93 Pole Caps, 1795 (including the 1794 Head of '95 pieces and the the 1796 Pole to Caps all have a different profile.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will go so far as to say it's a 1794 S-40-something. Something about the shape of the head and hair makes me think it might be in that range.

• Options

Good eyes, Bill! My guess would be a 1794 (just due to the law of averages), but I don't see much of anything on this coin.

So there you have have it Smittys: It could be a 1794 cent... And rhedden got you even closer!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file