Home Metal Detecting

Early impressions of the Garrett AT pro...

I was able to go out for a short while.....man is it HOT! 97 degrees and high humidity. I went to a baseball field that has a lot of trash and several loads of dirt have been hauled in over the years, so even the modern money is very deep. The unit is very light...I have been using the GTi2500, and it's reputation of being heavy is warranted. This At Pro is light, and I can swing it with very little effort. Garrett suggests that the unit be used on the standard mode to start with, so I did. My first target was a loud clear high tone showing a quarter at 10 inches...I dug it and sure enough beneath the 7 inch layer of black dirt was a quarter in about 2 inches of lighter material..very impressive! The sound was unmistakable as to what it was and no way would you have overlooked it. Just a few feet from that I got a trash signal followed by a dime a 10 inches. Right there together, I need to work on my pin pointing, it is a little different than what I am used to, but in a short period, I popped out the dime, both the dime and quarter are modern, but the depth is just great on this machine. It really gets deep. After digging a few pieces of round tin, an dug a few Lincoln cents....all of those were copper, not those darn "zincolns"..I had to give up though, the heat was just unbearable! I stood up after my last target and everything went black.....I was dizzy and ears were ringing....not good at all....In summary, I am looking forward to taking this machine to some of my favorite haunts, where I know some deep treasures await....the lightness and depth really have me pumped!

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think your onto some thing millenium
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great....sounds like a super machine millennium..... be careful out in that heat. Keep us posted though, bet you get some spectacular finds... Cheers, RickO
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been looking at this unit for nugget shooting. You say it's lightweight but I see that it weighs 4.5 pounds.
    To me that is not a lightweight. But, then the directions say that the battery pack can be belt mounted. Have
    you done that and does it make much of a difference?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • I think you are confusing the GTi2500 with the AT Pro...the GTi does weight 4.5 and is heavy, with the detachable battery pack...the AT Pro is a lot lighter and the battery pack is not detachable..

<< <i>I think you are confusing the GTi2500 with the AT Pro...the GTi does weight 4.5 and is heavy, with the detachable battery pack...the AT Pro is a lot lighter and the battery pack is not detachable.. >>

Guess I need to take a trip across town and look at one because this is what is in the manual off Garrett's site:

Hip Mount Battery Pack: reduces detector weight for long searches LINK
    Okay, I got it now, misread the OP's thread.....he's switched to the PRO...my bad.

bobimage
  • Yeah, I already had the GtI 2500, and switched to the At Pro...