Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This is who the NFL Union should be fighting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very, very sad.

Reggie Williams
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    image that's sad... He's losing that leg soon
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    How are huge contracts being paid and this guy is left for dead? The NFL needs to get their act together.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I am repulsed by the NFL, terrible. A long career in the NFL and it is crazy what this man is facing........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    until then we glorify them as gladiators of sport.

not all of them walk away in a completely upright position. most don't.

but people will continue to high five each other when a man like that levels a ball carrier and then dares him to get right back up.

that was his job. i don't know what the provisions were when he signed his deal, but it appears the team for whom he sold his soul is trying to abandon him.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>until then we glorify them as gladiators of sport.

not all of them walk away in a completely upright position. most don't.

but people will continue to high five each other when a man like that levels a ball carrier and then dares him to get right back up.

that was his job. i don't know what the provisions were when he signed his deal, but it appears the team for whom he sold his soul is trying to abandon him. >>

It will open Pandora's Box. Once the Owners go over the legal limit, it will set a precedent by admitting additional liability, and insurance will eventually become cost prohibited. The current CBA protects the players today going forward but leaves only a minuscule portion for the players of days past.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Not sure of the details of what the NFL and/or the Bengals agreed to provide Williams in terms of medical care after retirement and whether or not they've been negligent, but it seems to me that it would be a great move for the league and the team if they could agree on a settlement regardless.

Don't let the gross leg sway you too much, though. There's no reason not to believe Williams and so many other players were clear headed adults every time they decided to come back to the game year after year, virtually guaranteed to be stricken with additional injuries. I sincerely hope players are always bright enough to weigh all the potential risks and rewards of their decisions and do what they think is best for themselves and their families, both career wise and health wise. The game is violent, even with all the new safety measures, and everyone is always allowed to walk away. Everyone is allowed to buy insurance. Everyone is allowed to bank game checks just in case something awful happens in the future.

Some guys prefer glory and/or money over safety and that's fine. Gotta let grown ups be grown ups and chase the big dream.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Its a sad story for sure. The easy fix going forward is get it worked out in your contract. I will play for less money but in return, you take care of all
    injuries to my body caused by football for life. Unfortunitely, that doesnt help him now.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

<< <i>I am repulsed by the NFL, terrible. A long career in the NFL and it is crazy what this man is facing........ >>

I'm curious as to what the WWE does for it's long time stars who run into physical problems as a result of their wrestling careers?

Snorto~