Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

For those who like to watch people who flip #1 graded PSA sets

Here is a PSA #1 graded set that was bought recently. The best offer price was $2,000.00

1974 Topps Test 6 Million Dollar Man Set

Here it is again with a day left remaining in a new auction.

Legendary Auctions (same set)

The set was bought off ebay on June 18th, 2013. It is being resold August 29th, 2013.

Comments

• Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Looks like he's going to take a hit on this auction
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link.....looks like not a profitable business model. I will be sure not to replicate it!
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    This makes zero sense to me. Now, I am no expert on non-sport issues, but I would assume that 99% of your customer base is on ebay and not Legendary Auction. I would think the quick flip would be buy off a sports auction website and sell it on ebay, not the other way around.

Just my opinion.
    Jason
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

<< <i>I would think the quick flip would be buy off a sports auction website and sell it on ebay, not the other way around. >>

^^ This!! ^^ I have done numerous successful flips from various auction houses to Ebay. Of course, I have had hiccups here and there but, for the most part, have been OK. I can count on one hand only the number of successful flips I have had from Ebay to auction houses, with fingers to spare.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    it's not over 'til it's ov........oh nevermind. image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Auction houses could do the flip themselves though, because they charge the buyer's premium. Right?
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's still a day and half left.

Most people put placeholder bids in and the real action occurs in extended bidding. For instance, just a few days ago, Love of the Game Auctions had the #1 PSA ranked 1964 Topps football set sitting at $4500 with just over a day to go. It finished at $12,900 with the BP.

Love of the Game 64 Topps football set

Let's wait until the auction is actually finished before we come to any conclusions.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More importantly, who knew that Judge Smails' first name was Elihu?

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind, anytime is a good time for a safety bid!!!
  • Options
    Currently $3,000 + 19.5% buyers premium and still going.

$3,585
  • Options
    Closed at $3,585
  • Options
    Someone got VERY lucky! (and not the buyer!)......
  • Options
    Great job by the ebay buyer noticing a tough set that would sell for more and putting it in its proper venue. Something like this should always be sold through an AH.
  • Options
    This happens every day in the hobby. I'm not impressed.
  • Options

<< <i>Great job by the ebay buyer noticing a tough set that would sell for more and putting it in its proper venue. Something like this should always be sold through an AH >>

I'm not impressed either. I am not entirely sure the Auction House was the proper venue for that item, even though it brought more money. It was picked up on Ebay via a BIN/BO. If the Ebay seller had utilized a true auction format on Ebay, it probably would have brought just as much there, if not more. Just the way things work. Sorry.....
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Ah . . . I can see this very clearly, now.

Doing this . . .

Leads to a bad case of this . . .

Which inevitability ends up with some trying to . . .

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

this evokes thoughts more along the lines of a guy sliding into 2nd and a shortstop refusing to be intimidated.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Wow, thats quite a vomer.
  • Options
    Comparing apples to oranges....welcome to the PSA boards!
  • Options

<< <i>One thing to keep in mind, anytime is a good time for a safety bid!!! >>

Or the consignor could have accidentally bid on it
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would think the quick flip would be buy off a sports auction website and sell it on ebay, not the other way around. >>

^^ This!! ^^ I have done numerous successful flips from various auction houses to Ebay. Of course, I have had hiccups here and there but, for the most part, have been OK. I can count on one hand only the number of successful flips I have had from Ebay to auction houses, with fingers to spare. >>

Do u pull ur thumb out b4 counting?

Eskimo Dictator collects: Base Ball cards, Americana, cuckoo clocks
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the link.....looks like not a profitable business model. I will be sure not to replicate it! >>

You, sir, are wise beyond your years.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the link.....looks like not a profitable business model. I will be sure not to replicate it! >>

You, sir, are wise beyond your years. >>

He's too busy flipping Jordan RCs for $8 in white meat to be troubled with any other revenue streams.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>One thing to keep in mind, anytime is a good time for a safety bid!!! >>

Or the consignor could have accidentally bid on it >>

And yet still somehow manages to lose his shirt. Things that make go hmmm.