Home Metal Detecting

Went for a while today...until the rains got me..

I didn't take my video camera, because I frankly didn't think I'd find very much. This was just a day to get out of the house. I am still waiting on my new detector to get in, so I decided to take the GTi2500 out for a spin...Well, the day ended up pretty good. I hunted in a park here on St Simons, it was an Indian settlement in the early 1500 to 1700's...This park has been hunted to death by other detectorists, but I have never hunted it. We have had a lot of rain the last few days, and the dirt was very damp, no doubt aiding in target reception.
Here is a pic of the total take:

I'll show a few of the better finds...

First up, looks like a hand made twisted gold wire ring:

Next, a sterling silver nautical bracelet..

A 1905 V Nickel

A Buff nickel...I have no idea on the date..

a sterling silver ring with what looks like CZ's

and the best find.....what I thought might be a large cent, ended up being a Edward III coin..dated 1774 or 1794, I can't really tell...

Comments

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....for a hunted out park, you sure did find a lot..... speaks to your skill.....well done!!! Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    wow, now that's a good hunt! Little bit of everything, and even a 1700s copper! Looks like 1774 to me! Is it possible it's King George III and not Edward III? Again, wow, that gets my detecting blood flowing!
  • It IS a George.....George the Third, according to the obverse...does that still put it in the 1774 range?

<< <i>It IS a George.....George the Third, according to the obverse...does that still put it in the 1774 range? >>

looks like you are secured in at 1774! My limited research puts George III coins only in the 1770s! Do you have a pic of the obverse?
  • Here is the coin...all cleaned up...kinda smooth in spots, but a sweet find none the less!

imageimage
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that sure does look like ya got some good stuff there. congrats.
    That soil is very kind to copper. That's a real treat finding that coin especially in that condition.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Is it possible it's King George III and not Edward III? >>

Edward III ruled in the 14th century, and they pretty much only used hammered silver pennies at the time. It's George III, of course.

Great find!

<< <i>My limited research puts George III coins only in the 1770s! >>

George III ruled from 1760 to 1820.

Here he is on an Irish "Hibernia" halfpenny which was dug on St. Simons Island just yesterday (Saturday).

And with a little early US silver, too!

Both of the coins above were dug by my friend Billy Ridenour, of course. He had to do some deep woods bushwhacking and skeeter-slappin' to get 'em.

Probably found a few ticks on him when he got home, too. Miserable hunting conditions. But it sure paid off for him!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Wow. Any draped bust silver puts you into Legendary detecting status! Please import your soil to my area. Those coppers are pristine.
  • Man is love to go with Billy, not just to detect, but to see how he does it. Excellent finds!!!!!!!!
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic stuff!
    That would be a great result for a week or more of detecting. For a day (and a day cut short at that) it's crazy good!
    Congrats!

The George III halfpenny should be 1774 alright. All British George III halfpennies from the 18th century are 1770s, 1770-1775 to be exact.

-Z

PS. Lordminivan: Here's the big brother (penny) of that George III halfpenny. Dug seven years ago.

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro