Home Metal Detecting
Options

August 24th, Misc. goodies

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
Went out with a couple buddies yesterday. Found quite the eclectic mix of things.

makeup compact from the 1920s
Spoon bowl that could date to the 1700s
couple chuckie cheese tokens
few buttons, including a couple pewter ones
brass 10 gauge shotgun shell
toasted barber dime

Happy hunting all!

Comments

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding stuff and very interesting variety!
    The picture reminds me of the summaries the mighty Phut used to post.

Those live rounds sure get your attention when you dig them.. I bet you went a bit slower for the next few targets after each of those image

Many items have a wet/corrosive environment look to them.. If I had to guess, I'd say the ocean (or at least a river) is not far away from where these were found?

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Nice finds, especially like the flat buttons and compact.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... quite a mix, that 10 guage shell is interesting and collectors would want that...not common anymore... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice finds. Is the soil still moist where you are digging?
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Looks like you've go a dump. Maybe an old swimming hole?
  • Options
    just out of curiousity, that kinda arrow-shaped piece the second row down (next to the small buckle and small musketball)-- have you identified that? Is it lead? Some kind of spear head? It somewhat resembles a metal piece I found in Kentucky some years back, though mine isn't in full shape like yours. Thanks
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great old ladies' compact. Having a brand name on it and patent number is interesting.

I've gotten a few with a small mirror in 'em. (Haven't found one with an intact mirror yet, though.)

Ever dig old lipsticks? I've found some where the lipstick is still there, and still smells like lipstick, though it's mostly dried out and crumbly.

Are those .50 cal. bullets? WW2 era, maybe?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great old ladies' compact. Having a brand name on it and patent number is interesting.

I've gotten a few with a small mirror in 'em. (Haven't found one with an intact mirror yet, though.)

Ever dig old lipsticks? I've found some where the lipstick is still there, and still smells like lipstick, though it's mostly dried out and crumbly.

Are those .50 cal. bullets? WW2 era, maybe? >>

Every so often an old lipstick tube comes out and even better is when you get lipstick in them, haha. I have to admit I've smelled them to see if they do smell like lipstick still, and just like you've found, they do still smell like lipstick.

there is a "41" at the bottom of those bullets. I believe they are 50 cal? That would put them at WWII era - if the 41 stands for 1941.
    _____

<< <i>just out of curiousity, that kinda arrow-shaped piece the second row down (next to the small buckle and small musketball)-- have you identified that? Is it lead? Some kind of spear head? It somewhat resembles a metal piece I found in Kentucky some years back, though mine isn't in full shape like yours. Thanks >>

To the best I can tell it's just a hunk of lead, unfortunately. Was hoping it was maybe silver, but the silver test turned greenish, which I believe indicates lead. Will go into the scrap heap shortly!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whats that funny looking case? it looks like a powder thing that a woman uses? just curious is all