Home Metal Detecting
Options

more marbles and weird stuff

a friend who collects marbles, says marbles from the 1920-40's are highly collectible. some can be worth several hundred $ each. i'm bringing these and others to him next week. hope I have some good ones.
this dump is full of marbles and a lot other items. getting tired of 20's-40's stuff. gotta into something older soon.

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it!. And thanks again!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great DD....nice marbles, but, sad to say, none of those will command any high prices..... I collect them as well....but keep digging them and showing them. There are some super valuable marbles out there and I am sure many are in dumps. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I need to drag out one of the ones I have turned up....if I can find them!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many unfounded items are still
    out there !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its nice to see the old glass bottles. something i really dont see much of anymore.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Are you diggin' bearfoot?

Got a tetanus shot lately?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Actually I dig in the nude. But because this is an open forum, I take all photos and videos fully clothed.
    When I go out detecting, I usually just wear my boxers and a pouch around my waist. Most people don't seem to mind.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually I dig in the nude. >>

Whew! I thought I was the only one. Glad to know there's someone like me out there......
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I thought it was common practice to dig in the nude.... saves laundry .... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Under the green bottle is a little round thing that looks like a badge. Does it have words stamped/imprinted on it? I found two items that look just like that and both had someone's name and a year stamped on it. I think they were old carnival tokens or something of the like (someone referenced "love tokens").

Rodney
  • Options
    Its a souvenir token. Used to get them at amusement parks or carnivals. This has no date, has a name and city only.
    A love token was usually made from a seated dime, but there are a few other coins used. I've dug 3 so far. The reverse was removed and a name, initials or picture was scribed on.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Fascinating stuff as always!

A few things in your posts always amaze me:

1. All those marbles! Did people have their houses full of marbles and were pouring them in the trash by the bucketfull? image
    2. Gold and silver objects, medals etc: How the heck do those end up in dumps? image

Keep up the great work!

-Z

PS. I won't comment on my fellow detectorists' dress code, but can share a story along (sort of) those lines: I was water detecting is fairly deep water one time, very early morning and wearing headphones - competely oblivious to the outside world. The bottom was quite hard in that spot and I was struggling to get the scoop pushed deep enough. This was rather strenuous and resulted in a considerable sudden release of gas --> bubblestorm from Zot's rear end.
    Moments later I noticed an early swimmer who had passed right behind me at that unfortunate moment. Man that was embarrassing. I've kept better track of my surroundings ever since.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Once upon a time it was super common to collect marbles. Then baseball cards. Then comics. (I might have the latter two in reverse order). Fast-forward to ninja turtles, dunjeons & dragons, beanie babies, Pokemon, ... So ... ...

What's next? What will our kids and grand kids dig up with their MD's? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Even today there is a very large marble collector community and marble shows across the U.S.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    RickO, all of the items I mentioned are still collected today. However the average kid does not collect them. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE