Home Precious Metals
Options

Don't you hate it when people say,

"let me know whenver you get some more of this" (whatever this is), then when you do in a relatively short time later, and they say they're no longer interested. image
Now I've got $ tied up in something I have no interest in and is kind of a niche precious metal sell. yeah, I'm complaining and just blowing off a little steam.
Sometimes by the time I could get in touch with the person to let them know I found more, and to see if they want it, it's too late. It's either bought by someone else or the price may have gone up. You've got to act on it when you see it kind of thing. So much for believeing this line of "let me know when you have more" bs anymore.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    What did you get burned on?
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Not really burned mrpaseo, and I guess there was no definite commitment by either party, just a helping out kind of thing. Guess that's what i get for helping out. And who in their right mind would lock in a price the way the market moves, so that's not an option to ask. Yet another, lesson learned.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, don't buy inventory simply because someone say "let me know when you get more." It's not quite the same as placing an order.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Agreed with derryb. I'll actively try to find pieces for others, but I'll almost always make sure I get it at an attractive enough price. At least then I have an escape hatch that I won't be buried in it should the client decide they no longer want the piece I purchased with them in mind as a buyer.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, hate that.

I realized that people like to shop and think about purchases. I sure do. If I go to a store, which is how I buy most things, I
    get to look around, touch, decide and even change my mind. So that is the standard american shopping mode.
    COA
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"let me know whenver you get some more of this" (whatever this is), then when you do in a relatively short time later, and they say they're no longer interested. image
    Now I've got $ tied up in something I have no interest in and is kind of a niche precious metal sell. yeah, I'm complaining and just blowing off a little steam.
    Sometimes by the time I could get in touch with the person to let them know I found more, and to see if they want it, it's too late. It's either bought by someone else or the price may have gone up. You've got to act on it when you see it kind of thing. So much for believeing this line of "let me know when you have more" bs anymore. >>

Can we see what you are talking about and how much you are asking for it? It may be an issue of this silver bar or coin being in less than stellar condition or your asking price being too high. Did they make a firm commitment to buy "this"? Perhaps they were short on funds and they would have been able to buy it at a later date. Sorry, but there's not enough information to help you here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Can we see what you are talking about and how much you are asking for it? It may be an issue of this silver bar or coin being in less than stellar condition or your asking price being too high. Did they make a firm commitment to buy "this"? Perhaps they were short on funds and they would have been able to buy it at a later date. Sorry, but there's not enough information to help you here

the reason given for no longer being interested was that "it is not as appealing as the last one"...with regards to the actual bar, not price. I did ask a whopping $5 more, but only because Spot itself is up $1.75 since the last purchase. With it being a 5 oz bar, I didn't think that was out of line...besides, price was not the issue, it was that it wasn't nice enough looking. That's bs in my book for only $5 more when that is justified. I took the time to think of this person because of the assurance I was given that if I found anymore, they'd be a player with it and price would not be an issue. I even told him that if I did find more, the price would have to be renegotiated due to market volitility, and that was agreed on. Sucks for me, and it's not like it's a significantly valued item, so i'll end up putting it on eBay most likely, but it's the POINT.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't buy for smoeone else what you don't mind keeping for yourself.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped looking for material for others long ago for that very reason. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the reason given for no longer being interested was that "it is not as appealing as the last one"...with regards to the actual bar, not price. >>

Can we see what this bar looks like? It's certainly not unreasonable for a person who is paying a high premium over melt for a collectable silver bar to want a decent looking bar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I don't look for anything for an unknown person (not a known customer) unless there is a deposit.....especially precious metals related. Too many flakes out there.