Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Top 10 baseball cards of the 80's article

I don't agree with this list but its interesting nonetheless
Top10

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Curious to know which cards you would add or take off the list.
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Nice read. Id have to say that any top 10 80's list has to have the 86 Donruss Canseco on it
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    no list of 1980's cards is complete without the '89 Fleer Bill Ripken FF card included

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Not a terrible list. The only one I'd quickly take off that list is '87 Donruss Maddux.

jbox
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a terrible list. The only one I'd quickly take off that list is '87 Donruss Maddux.

jbox >>

I think the Maddux definately belongs. After all it was only listed at number 9 and this is a first and only regular '87 issue card of a lock hall of famer.

I believe the article limited there choices to rookie cards so the Billy Ripken wouldn't have been considered. Great card though.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    There are at least two completely different ways to view such a list.

1. Putting yourself back in the 80's and recalling the most popular cards of the day - certainly Maddux, Gwynn and Bonds no longer make the cut. No argument they were solid, but their star power had not been fully realized. Star players were popular, but speculation ruled the later 80's. These slots would be filled with the likes of 86D Canseco, 88D Gregg Jefferies; perhaps '84D Joe Carter, '84T or '85D Dwight Gooden...the list could be argued ad nauseum.

2. Another way, more so the way this list is published, is with perfect 20/20 hindsight. No one I knew collected Greg Maddux at all in the 1980's - it was several years before his numbers were indicative of a superstar. While Boggs was always chased, I recall Tony Gwynns from 1983 being relatively easy to achieve in a trade. With the past as written history, its easy to discount the many that fizzled out - even though a lot of money was spent on their stock.

Was anyone else willing to "pay anything" for a Jerome Walton Upper Deck high series in 1989? Oh, the good old days when all we had to do was amass cards and our futures would be financially paved.

Dave
  • Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    This list is definitely looking back at things as we stand today. If you transport yourself back to the 80's things would be a lot different. I can think of 4 cards right away that were among the hottest in the hobby sevaral years that didn't make the list: 81T Fernando, (84D?) Strawberry, (85T?) Gooden, 86D Canseco. I also agree that the Ripken FF should be on there. Kirby Puckett, Eric Davis and Will Clark rookies were also right up there. Crazy to think, but at the time the 82TT Ripken wasn't really that desirable due to the fact that it came out after his rookie. The Future Stars card was the one to have. Can't remember when the Ripken traded card went nuts, but I'm thinking early 90's. Griffey UD was hot right from the start, but as mentioned, you probably could have gotten two/three of them back in a deal for a Jerome Walton in the fall of '89, probably could have gotten one even up for Dwight Smith image
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I can live with that list. It's tough not to include the '85 Topps McGwire Olympic, but I think they've done a solid job with what they have. Great list, regardless - and a fun read. Thank you for posting!

Edited: They DID include the Mac card - I had to read it a second time. I'm on board with that list!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    1983 TT Strawberry used to be a $100 card

• Options
    89 UD Ken Griffey Jr.
    89 Fleer Bill Ripken FF Error
    86 Donruss Jose Canseco
    85 Topps Mark McGwire
    84 Fleer Update Roger Clemens
    84 Donruss Don Mattingly
    84 Topps Traded Dwight Gooden
    83 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry
    82 Topps Traded Cal Ripken Jr
    80 Topps Rickey Henderson

I already ommitted some players, a Top 25 would be better.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This list is definitely looking back at things as we stand today. If you transport yourself back to the 80's things would be a lot different. I can think of 4 cards right away that were among the hottest in the hobby sevaral years that didn't make the list: 81T Fernando, (84D?) Strawberry, (85T?) Gooden, 86D Canseco. I also agree that the Ripken FF should be on there..... image >>

Good conversation, I think the Puckett and the Clemens would each get their own spot but I like that they combined them to squeeze in an extra card. I also think the '86 Tiffany Bo Jackson is a good card to consider today

....again love the Ripken FF but the article is only talking about rookie cards and its a cool error 2nd yr card.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Since Billy is getting a lot of love, what were the top/popular error cards of the 1980's (either today, or desired back in the 1980's). Some errors that were corrected, that immediately come to mind are (not necessarily in any order):

1) 1982 Fleer John Littlefield Rev Neg
    2) 1985 Donruss Tom Seaver/Floyd Bannister
    3) 1989 UD Sheffield SS
    4) 1989 UD Rev Neg Daly Murphy
    5) 1987 Donruss Opending Day Bonds/Ray
    6) 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson Marloro
    7) 1985 Donruss Mattingly/Winfield White/Yellow letter variation
    8) 1989 UD Pat Sheridan
    9) 1989 Fleer Jeff Treadway target

And perhaps 1982 Topps Blackless, 1980 name color variations,

• Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Great input here.

I don't have an issue so much with the players they picked and the order they put them in so much as the cards they picked for each player. For instance, the Maddux card, I would definitely have gone with 87 Leaf. The other thing, maybe because I'm just a fan of these sets but I would've gone Tiffany issues on a lot of these cards.

Other cards worth mentioning are Glavine, Smoltz, Alomar(HOF), Larkin, and Bo Jackson
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since Billy is getting a lot of love, what were the top/popular error cards of the 1980's (either today, or desired back in the 1980's). Some errors that were corrected, that immediately come to mind are (not necessarily in any order):

1) 1982 Fleer John Littlefield Rev Neg
    2) 1985 Donruss Tom Seaver/Floyd Bannister
    3) 1989 UD Sheffield SS
    4) 1989 UD Rev Neg Daly Murphy
    5) 1987 Donruss Opending Day Bonds/Ray
    6) 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson Marloro
    7) 1985 Donruss Mattingly/Winfield White/Yellow letter variation
    8) 1989 UD Pat Sheridan
    9) 1989 Fleer Jeff Treadway target

And perhaps 1982 Topps Blackless, 1980 name color variations, >>

1981 Fleer Graig "Craig" Nettles
  • Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    If I had to rate the hype for 80's errors it would go as follows (probably forgetting something):

1. 89 Fleer Ripken
    2. '81 Fleer Nettles (this one was huge at the time, probably the first 'mainstream' error chase
    3. '89 UD Murphy
    4. '82 Fleer Littlefield
    5' '87 Donruss Opening Day Bonds
    6. '82 Topps Pascual Perez
    7. '88 Topps Comstock
    8. '84 Donruss Darling
    9. '86 Sportflics Yount
    10. '85 Donruss Seaver (corrected- only in factory sets though, I believe)

Others that come to mind are the myriad of errors in '81 Fleer and '89 Fleer and Upper Deck along with '88 Topps Leiter, and the '87 Donruss Greenwell (stripe on sleeve) anyone remember that one? How about the '89 Paul Gibson Score where the hand was airbrushed?