Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bummer: BSG Pristine 10/10 Auto - Holder Cracked

Picked up this card a couple of weeks ago on eBay:

She's a beauty, however, the card arrived with a chunk cracked out of the holder. image

I definitely want the card still, however, I can't seem to figure out how much it costs to reholder a single card with BGS. When I went on their website to look at submitting an order for a single copy of this card, it wanted to charge me $35 for 45 day service - is this right? Also I know I'd have to add shipping from me to BGS. In terms of asking for a partial refund, how much should I ask to be compensated by the seller to cover the total cost of doing this?
The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    I would call bgs customer support directly and see what they tell you. Seems way too high at $35

Regarding refund for shipping, ill let the eBay experts here chime in. Only thing ill say is to make sure the description and photos didn't reference this flaw first. image

On a side note, Kewshaws sig looks like that of a 4 year old.... Or a bad attempt at writing in Korean.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    The original pictures are good and don't show any damage to the holder. Also, I've already been in contact with the seller and he didn't put up any argument about the idea. He is already contacting the post office to file an insurance claim. Now I just need to call BGS it seems and find out how much the whole deal is going to cost. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's funny that you mention his signature because it's actually MUCH improved from his signature on rookie cards. His 2005-6 Jr. National Team signatures look disgusting. Have a look:

• Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    image that's horrendous!
  • Options
    Having just had 3 BGS cards reholdered it costs $5 a piece to have it done. You'll still have to pay shipping both ways. I would suggest piggybacking the card on your/someone elses next submission to them.

Make sure your clearly write REHOLDER on the submission form next to the card description and add the additional $5 to the total at the bottom. There is no place on the sub. form specifically designed for this.
  • Options
    Called BGS. Here's the breakdown on how much this costs, in case anyone is curious:

BGS:
    Re-encapsulation: $5.00
    Return Shipping: $15.00
    Insurance Declared < $1000: $9.00

I'm estimating in the $40-50 range for the whole deal including outgoing shipping.

This is still pending the claim with USPS, in communication with the seller.
  • Options
    Are you sure the seller didn't send it to you like that already? Was there even a piece of plastic broken off in the package that it came in? If I had to guess, I would say that that crack was already their prior to it even going through the mail.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I don't forsee USPS covering this insurance claim, but GL.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Yes, the plastic chunks were in the package. In fact they were held in place by the packaging. I got good images of where the packaging was pierced through two layers and the pressure point is visible on the outside of the package. The card was in a team bag, had two sacrifice cards taped on each side, had a thicker plastic around that and was in a small bubble mailer.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe just like PSA, BGS charges $10 to reholder. I would ask $20 from the seller to cover cost to ship back & forth plus the reholder.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    I called Beckett, those prices above are exact. It's 29 dollars not including shipping to Beckett.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I called Beckett, those prices above are exact. It's 29 dollars not including shipping to Beckett. >>

Use your own FedEx/UPS account number and it will be cheaper for 1 slab.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    I agree with BPorter, I would also go back to the seller and either ask for a partial refund (seems it wasn't protected well enough when shipped) to cover the cost (that's if USPS doesn't cover) and send them a picture as well or just ask for a full refund. Unless you really want that one and just keep it and send in to get reholdered.
  • Options
    It has only been a few days, I'm patient. I'm giving them a chance to resolve with USPS. If not I will be asking for a refund to cover my costs. If that doesn't happen, negative feedback. No reason to think they won't do the right thing so far...
  • Options

<< <i>I believe just like PSA, BGS charges $10 to reholder. I would ask $20 from the seller to cover cost to ship back & forth plus the reholder. >>

P.S. - I like your thumbnail image. Are you the actual owner of that jumbotron piece? I wish I would have been able to buy the Bo Jackson piece, alas, it was already sold when I discovered it...