Home Precious Metals

Massive Gold Futures Purchase at Close

shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
Someone bought $1.3 BILLION in Gold futures just ahead of the close.

That's who you're playing against. FYI.
ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Comments

• mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Just after lunch, I realized that something was happening. Earlier in the day, I read a CNN Money article about a consumer physical gold shortage so I was kind of already leaning into the wave. I hit the APMEX site a little; yum.

Good luck out there...
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just after lunch, I realized that something was happening. Earlier in the day, I read a CNN Money article about a consumer physical gold shortage so I was kind of already leaning into the wave. I hit the APMEX site a little; yum.

Good luck out there... >>

Yup..shortly after lunch...and Santelli reported it on CNBC right after it occurred. The reason for the purchase was a guessing game by the pros, but they came up with 3 possibilities.

a) "A whale" making a large purchase
    b) A Large Bank making a buy
    c) Unrest in Egypt

You pick your choice.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone bought $1.3 BILLION in Gold futures just ahead of the close.

That's who you're playing against. FYI. >>

The only one playing against this guy is the seller...
    keceph `anah
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge buying in GDX in the last 5 minutes of the last few days. Today's was around 5 MILL shares in the last 5 minutes. Silver has been seeing heavy and steady buying (or closing
    out of shorts) each day since July 18th from 5:00-5:15 pm as the Globex market is preparing to close down (ie slipping in under the radar).
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The futures market is zero sum. If someone bought 1.3 billion the someone also sold 1.3 billion.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The futures market is zero sum. If someone bought 1.3 billion the someone also sold 1.3 billion. >>

What matters is how big is the buyer and how small are the sellers. Weak to strong hands where another nice profit will develop is often a planned effort. Wash, rinse, repeat, then reverse course.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The futures market is zero sum. If someone bought 1.3 billion the someone also sold 1.3 billion. >>

Not when you allow naked shorting. This is a vast difference between covering a short and someone establishing a new position. Which is why I asked.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    The trading activity in the Dec Gold contract was approx 227,000 contracts vs. the prior day's open interest of
    239,000 contracts.

Monday, Tues, Wed trading was around 135,000 contracts/day. Thurs is more, but not hugely
    so.

Could be just churn or could disguise an accumulation.

Watch the open interest.

<< <i>

Not when you allow naked shorting. This is a vast difference between covering a short and someone establishing a new position. Which is why I asked. >>

The futures market is zero sum. Period. Please try to understand these markets.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The futures market is zero sum. If someone bought 1.3 billion the someone also sold 1.3 billion.

That implies that technical charts don't mean anything, doesn't it? Since the same money is only being moved around, the charts should be flatline, if what you suggest is true. Of course, I'm being somewhat facetious, but a purchase of 1.3 billion isn't peanuts, either.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>The futures market is zero sum. If someone bought 1.3 billion the someone also sold 1.3 billion.

That implies that technical charts don't mean anything, doesn't it? Since the same money is only being moved around, the charts should be flatline, if what you suggest is true. Of course, I'm being somewhat facetious, but a purchase of 1.3 billion isn't peanuts, either. >>

Nor is a sale of 1.3 billion. I pay very little attention to large trades as they generally dont mean anything. I would be more impressed by 1000 different trades of 1.3 million each.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The futures market is zero sum. If someone bought 1.3 billion the someone also sold 1.3 billion.

That implies that technical charts don't mean anything, doesn't it? Since the same money is only being moved around, the charts should be flatline, if what you suggest is true. Of course, I'm being somewhat facetious, but a purchase of 1.3 billion isn't peanuts, either. >>

Nor is a sale of 1.3 billion. I pay very little attention to large trades as they generally dont mean anything. I would be more impressed by 1000 different trades of 1.3 million each. >>

Watching JPM's large trades could make someone (besides JPM) very rich. They most definitely generally mean something.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.