Home Precious Metals
Options

India bans imports of gold coins to cool demand.

s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
Just saw the headline on Dow Jones News. The story states that the ban is for an indefinite
period. Effective immediately.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....sounds kind of extreme..... will have to read about it to understand why it is necessary... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I think the Rupee is losing value vs. other currencies and the Indian government is trying to
    push against the balance of payments problems created by imports of
    gold coins.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should increase sales in the U.S. and other countries to citizens of India who intend to smuggle it back into the country. Decades ago when India had real tight import restrictions we used to sell it to Indians on their way home.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Whatever they ban, demand increases huge...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Whatever they ban, demand increases huge... >>

This is true.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Rupee falls to record low:

linky

Despite or beccause of the government efforts to limit gold purchases by Indian citizens?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll blame a falling currency on gold every time. Or, I should say they'll try to blame a falling currency on gold every time.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got a bulletin from a blog I follow that India has clarified the import restrictions that have been in effect since July 22nd.
    Things should get back to normal within the week as the wedding season comes into play.

Link to article
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold